8th and Grand Southwest

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

8th and Grand Southwest

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Per Kevin Collison...
A proposal by Axis KC LLC to develop a 14-story apartment project with 338 units between Walnut and Grand, from Eighth to Ninth streets. The $64 million plan calls for 10 stories of apartments above a four-level, 496-space garage.

It would require the demolition of what’s described as a dilapidated garage.
Yet another large project to knock out some of the gaps on Grand. Between this, the Sunflower project at 11th and Grand, the AC Hotel, Scarritt Building renovation, and the Embassy Suites/Federal Reserve, this stretch of Grand will have gone from "not to hot". But, I do admit that this is a ton of parking for this project, but it sort of makes sense. 338 spaces for residents (1:1 parking ratio) then 158 public parking spaces.

No renderings yet.

Story Link: https://cityscenekc.com/downtown-apartm ... -deadline/

Photos from Google Maps...

Connected project threads...
11th and Grand: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21160&p=620158#p620158
Admiral and Cherry: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21159&p=620157#p620157
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 8th and Grand Southwest

Post by Riverite »

That’s amazing, over 1200 apartments announced just in the last day
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^To beat incentives deadline.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 am ^To beat incentives deadline.
Polsinelli and Lathrop have got to be working overtime. Everybody gets a new car this year!!!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Is there a deadline for projects to move forward with construction or other project milestones in order to receive the incentives still?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

That is a terrible, crumbling garage. This should be a massive improvement. That will be a very nice block once it is done!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Apparently anti-development unrealistic affordable housing requirements were the best thing QL could do to flush out potential development projects LOL.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The description of this building ("Walnut to Grand") makes it sound like this building might replace the dilapidated, white garage that formerly housed Stables. For a building to have 338 apartments and only be 14 stories the floor plates would have to be pretty large.

KCDowntown
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

It is an 'L' shaped parcel, wrapping around the Gumbel / Hampton Inn:

dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Good to see a project go in that block on Grand that was a basically a big vast nothing. Residences in that area will hopefully spur some more businesses and such and help a few of the restaurants in that area. Will continue to create a nice seamless connections from River Market to Power and Light.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This building will be taller than the Scarritt Building and Walnut Tower Apartments.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Unlike the other developers of the announced projects, this one's developer remains unknown. Axis KC LLC returns an address of 222 E. Dunklin, Ste 102, Jefferson City, MO. State records show that it's a company is registered in Dover Delaware. The address there is 1675 South State, Ste B, Dover, DE. That returns Capitol Services Inc, which seems to be a company that helps businesses register and handle that side of things. So the true developer will remain unknown, most likely, until plans are filed with the City.

The parcel viewer shows the owner as Broadway 63 LLC & Christim LLC with an address of 2100 Crenshaw Rd, Independence, MO.
https://bsd.sos.mo.gov/e-commerce/company/search/724674
https://www.capitolservices.com/service ... red-agent/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 am That’s amazing, over 1200 apartments announced just in the last day
And 2000 parking spaces we don't need to subsidize.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 pm
Riverite wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 am That’s amazing, over 1200 apartments announced just in the last day
Cordish and AXIS propose some sort of shared or mixed-use parking. Most of the others have 1-1 ratios or below. I honestly think it makes a lot of sense to go big with parking on these projects and then share with incentiveless projects later on. Just need a sharing requirement I guess.

Maybe if we had regional rapid transit, developers would be more comfortable with dropping those parking numbers.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 pm
We have less miles of bus service into the suburbs with Ride KC Next than before it.

The urban core is shrinking and the suburbs are growing.

We still don't have regular transit service to all jobs centers within 5 miles of downtown.

If I were developing a project downtown I wouldn't count on transit to get people to work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yeah, we had a lot of crappy routes that wandered all over the place. It's no wonder they all had very low ridership -- barely the threshold where you would run an actual fixed route bus.

As KCMO sales tax revenue improves, you will see more flexible services in places that have low density, little mix of uses, and limited pedestrian infrastructure -- like the Northland.

Congrats on the dig.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:08 am Apparently anti-development unrealistic affordable housing requirements were the best thing QL could do to flush out potential development projects LOL.
Short term gain long term loss. I imagine you’ll see the proposals drop off substantially now. I hope I’m wrong here, and please quote me in the future if I am, but IMO it effectively put the brakes on any decent development going forward
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:20 am
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:08 am Apparently anti-development unrealistic affordable housing requirements were the best thing QL could do to flush out potential development projects LOL.
Short term gain long term loss. I imagine you’ll see the proposals drop off substantially now. I hope I’m wrong here, and please quote me in the future if I am, but IMO it effectively put the brakes on any decent development going forward
Exactly. Everything anyone could think or was thinking of doing got an application in.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:22 am
Exactly. Everything anyone could think or was thinking of doing got an application in.
"Exactly right." - [Prominent Local Development Attorney] as [he/she] slices into a $75 lunch ribeye at Capital Grille.
Last edited by smh on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

smh wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:22 am

"Exactly right." - Roxsen Koch as she slices into a $75 lunch ribeye at Capital Grille.
Hey, don't single out or blame the attorneys here. They're just the messengers advocating for their clients. Wasn't their decision to make this unrealistic affordable housing requirement. Also, lots of big law firms like Polsinelli fund substantial pro bono practices. (disclosure: I do not work for Polsinelli, but do know several attorneys there and they are nice people).