Downtown police presence

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Downtown police presence

Post by WoodDraw »

I don’t know what is going on tonight, but cars are loud as hell and I’m hearing enough screeching to suspect they’re doing things not legal and at a speed not allowed.

I’ve lived downtown for years and sirens are part of my background noise.

Can anyone describe to me why we have almost no downtown enforcement? They’re literally right fucking there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown police presence

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 pm I don’t know what is going on tonight, but cars are loud as hell and I’m hearing enough screeching to suspect they’re doing things not legal and at a speed not allowed.

Can anyone describe to me why we have almost no downtown enforcement? They’re literally right fucking there.
Was always told that the police are limited in what they can do. IIRC, the city manager mentioned trying to update the rules around it. I have also heard that when they do get people, they rarely are prosecuted so the police have little incentive to catch them.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Imagine living in a first world country where you have police to catch criminals, prosecutors to prosecute criminals, judges to sentence criminals, and jails to house criminals... yet despite the fact that those four roles are filled, criminals are not subjected to that process.

Astounding.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

The "Defund the Police" party was elected into power. Now you have to live with the consequences.

Enjoy :lol:
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

beermestrength wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:28 pm The "Defund the Police" party was elected into power. Now you have to live with the consequences.

Enjoy :lol:
Right, because the Federal government has anything to do with our LOCAL police force. Oh, wait, the Kansas City Police is actually controlled by the Police Board accountable to State Government.

Don't be so stupid.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I have no interest in some dumbfuck troll taking over this thread. Already blocked, everyone else just do the same.

I’m honestly asking, why is there no police enforcement downtown? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything unless it’s off duty security. I can’t remember the last time I saw police just patrolling.

I drive to the suburbs and get polled over immediately for a lane violation, but downtown you can do whatever you want and it’s dangerous. Cars are out of control down here and no one seems to care.

I don’t want heavy policing at all. But you shouldn’t be able to go Mach 3 down a City street and do donuts, and then drive away literally seconds from the police.

Wtf are they?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:15 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 pm I don’t know what is going on tonight, but cars are loud as hell and I’m hearing enough screeching to suspect they’re doing things not legal and at a speed not allowed.

Was always told that the police are limited in what they can do. IIRC, the city manager mentioned trying to update the rules around it. I have also heard that when they do get people, they rarely are prosecuted so the police have little incentive to catch them.
That’s interesting and I’ve never heard that. The plaza doesn’t seem to have limitations though. I’ve seen cars, horses, segways, and foot patrols there.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Interesting article that I would love to see from a KC perspective - the question of *where* cities and states locate their police officers.

For instance, DC is divided up into seven Police Districts. Each with roughly the same number of officers assigned to it. However, nearly sixty percent of homicides are in PDs 6 and 7.

Another issue pointed out here is that the highest crime neighborhoods also have the least experienced officers. This drives attrition and leaves residents with a sense they’re not treated fairly.

https://www.slowboring.com/p/the-spatia ... -of-police