5th & Main Southern Corners

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 5th & Main Southern Corners

Post by Rabble »

earthling wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:48 pm Am indifferent about the bridge but they do serve a purpose for projects with multiple buildings. Residential amenities are divided between buildings so residents can reach all of them indoors within secured 'zone'. Design variation is also a plus and this doesn't suck and also not out of place for RM area. But would be good to see renderings of other sides.
Residential amenities sounds like a selling point for senior housing in the suburbs. When you’re downtown the amenities should be outside your apartment building.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I think the "tunnel" would be a real asset if it were lined with retail and restaurants and not just an extension of the parking garage.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:24 pm I think the "tunnel" would be a real asset if it were lined with retail and restaurants and not just an extension of the parking garage.
Great location for a food stall! London does a good job of fitting those into similar spaces.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:26 pm
missingkc wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:24 pm I think the "tunnel" would be a real asset if it were lined with retail and restaurants and not just an extension of the parking garage.
Great location for a food stall! London does a good job of fitting those into similar spaces.
It must rain a lot in London.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's say they want to keep the garages entry/exit on Main (hate the idea) why not make it a dead end at 5th, extend retail all the way across a5th nd send all that traffic out to Walnut via Missouri?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:11 pm Let's say they want to keep the garages entry/exit on Main (hate the idea) why not make it a dead end at 5th, extend retail all the way across a5th nd send all that traffic out to Walnut via Missouri?
The reason not to do that is that there are three buildings with viable street-level retail frontage that could once again contribute better to the neighborhood dynamic once the new buildings are in place along Main.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1074645 ... 8192?hl=en
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Those buildings can also use the same route. Their viability isn't dependent on main going onto 5th.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I just don't get the logic of blocking off Main at 5th Street completely for one or two retail slots that could instead be placed on Main in lieu of garage entrances.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I think the bridge also eliminates the need for two sets of ramps for the garage. If they were two separate buildings, they would need two sets of ramps to get cars up and down. This would most likely result in larger garages. Because the two are linked, they can share this circulation. Maybe it's a good thing from that point of view.

The design for the exterior of the building looks very nice. I like the brick details on the first floor. It doesn't look like flat panels of brick. I also love the thick window frames and the lack of large expanses of stucco panels. It looks sturdy and substantial. It does not look like a lego building with goofy colors and lack of cohesion.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Be careful putting too much stock in renderings, especially when it comes to the quality of materials. The things that in real life are giveaways of cheap construction are almost never shown in renders.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sounds like DNA is opposing this proposal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yteUAF ... sp=sharing
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 am I think the bridge also eliminates the need for two sets of ramps for the garage. If they were two separate buildings, they would need two sets of ramps to get cars up and down. This would most likely result in larger garages. Because the two are linked, they can share this circulation. Maybe it's a good thing from that point of view.

The design for the exterior of the building looks very nice. I like the brick details on the first floor. It doesn't look like flat panels of brick. I also love the thick window frames and the lack of large expanses of stucco panels. It looks sturdy and substantial. It does not look like a lego building with goofy colors and lack of cohesion.
You can add a garage entrance from the east alley that negates the need for a connected garage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:24 am I just don't get the logic of blocking off Main at 5th Street completely for one or two retail slots that could instead be placed on Main in lieu of garage entrances.
Make Main a ped street with retail. The point is to take cars off of 5th which already gums up the streetcar that will only be exasperated when it's on it's way to UMKC>
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What’s the main objection to the tunnel?

I thought the general consensus was that they’re okay if they’re connecting shared residential amenities.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:08 pm What’s the main objection to the tunnel?
It's not urban because it keeps people away from street level which reduces the demand for retail there.

it's complete junk.

There's tons of good reasons to have bridges such as better ADA compliance within a project to all amenities. Like with a convention district a tunnel enables someone in a wheelchair to have an assured level route from their room.

They're great in winter since they provide access across streets during bad weather. See the assured level route piece.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:08 pm What’s the main objection to the tunnel?

I thought the general consensus was that they’re okay if they’re connecting shared residential amenities.
For public use they're terrible as they keep people off the streets (like Crown Center skywalks). But private use between residential buildings they're not terrible depending on context. This one is passable methinks, even if it's a 'tunnel', as long as pedestrian access under the tunnel along street is still public. Move the garage access to Indie Ave and it's a pretty decent project.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree with all of that. But this doesn’t seem to be keeping anyone off the street. Like if a resident wants to work out and the gym is on the other side of the street, what’s the point of making them change clothes four times just to go for a thirty minute run in the winter?

They’re still going to have to go out to buy food and coffee and whatever.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree, the context of this location I think it's doable.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The eastern 1st-floor mezzanine garage will be accessible from the existing alley. Image
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

NSPJ designs wood frame apartment buildings with some structural steel in the entry/lobby area. What in the world is going to support a 5 story apartment bridge? I'll be interested in seeing this project after the engineers get involved and they have their first budget review.