5th & Main Southern Corners

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 5th & Main Southern Corners

Post by Rabble »

flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:56 pm
Rabble wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am

It will be fine

13th goes under Bartle Hall. It's not 3-4 floors above the street.
Union Station has an entire underground street for employee parking access, it's even skinnier than 13th

Being a platform will make it less of a tunnel because more light will get to street level. It will be just like going under the railroad on SW Tfwy
There are good reasons for the tunnel under Bartle and the underground at Union Station. Those reasons don't exist in the River Market.

The goal should be to make Main as important to the River Market as Walnut or Delaware, not some crappy pedestrian alley/parking tunnel.
This is all about perspective. It's ok to have a bad experience at our convention hall where hundreds of thousands experience the tunnel, but it's not ok at a dead end one-way street that is mainly used to reach parking spots?
When the north loop is gone Main Street will be reconnected to the south. It's dead end days will be over!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Transfer of land to the developer is up before city council. Developer will have 90 days from contract execution to submit incentive requests with EDC. Still time to give feedback in the CPC process.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:41 am I don't like all the garage entrances, and where they are placed. I agree that one should be facing Independence Avenue. I also think the alleys should be utilized more for garage entrances/exits. Those entrance/exit portals facing Main should instead be retail bays.

Nix the wide bridge over Main with structure built. I would have no objection to a bridge over the alley that runs in between Main and Walnut if that parking lot facing Walnut were included in the development (see graphic). I would also not have any objection to a narrow pedestrian bridge that allows residents on the east side of the block to access the pool deck on the west side.

I don't like the idea of sacrificing that block of Main to garage entrances in case the North Loop is removed and Main is reconnected. Then, having retail spaces there would help make that a dynamic block again, and certainly make the three existing commercial buildings on that block more viable again.

Nicer modifications and inclusion of the "Planters lot". Not sure ownership. Ingress/Egress off Indy IS A MUST. Design ideally something not resembling box-on-box but maybe more modern materials or black iron/glass. Also to better oppose the fabric doing a bit higher with steel vs stick. Look to London...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I love the bridge. Hate the main street garage entrances. Remove 2 entrances on Main and add one from Independence Ave. and Im good to go.

KC Commercial Realty Group, Complete LLC, and EPC plans to build a six-story apartment community with about 190 market-rate units above 12,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, plus 372 spaces of structured parking.

EPC intends to move "full-speed ahead" through the city's predevelopment process; once approved, construction is expected to last roughly 20 months, McKeen said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... llins.html
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Interesting, like the basic 3-d model, helps get a little better perspective. I’ll be interested to see the renderings. I hope they will impress.

One thing I don’t see happening is the closing of the North loop. They may give it a diet and restructure but I can’t see a complete removal. That loop is vital to keep traffic from the North access to 35 south and 70 West. The truck traffic out of East Bottoms is real & near by NKC. I’d like the North loop to close and make a seamless neighborhood again. But unless they will plan major highway reconstruction to flow all traffic better around the South loop then it’s a no go. Plus if The K ends up downtown it will create even more stress on the East/Southside of loop
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Posted above before that rendering 😀
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I actually think it looks nice.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

That’s a lot better than I was expecting
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

agreed on design, not bad. Still indy ingress as noted and hopefully still some light openings on patio element to help add light to the grotto. Increased density is good here. Now lose the cars. See zoox.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Damn. River Market is hot. Building out nicely.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 pm agreed on design, not bad. Still indy ingress as noted and hopefully still some light openings on patio element to help add light to the grotto. Increased density is good here. Now lose the cars. See zoox.
This + northside + arnold development should have enough spaces for you to get going, right? Assuming the other owners agree to an off site solution
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I like the street level design along 5th Street. I just want something similar down Main Street.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm I like the street level design along 5th Street. I just want something similar down Main Street.
Looks like there will be glass storefronts along main in the renderings. The floor plans shared on the council agenda appear to be outdated.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The blueprints on page 1 indicate those doors lead into the garage. Did they take out parking spaces and replace with some retail slots?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm The blueprints on page 1 indicate those doors lead into the garage. Did they take out parking spaces and replace with some retail slots?
I guess I'm a bit surprised they are going with a retail facade over parking. Maybe it can be converted to a retail space in the future? Its better than brick wall
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At least from 5th St view the garage appears to be entirely hidden. Would be good to see renderings from each side.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I want to see a rendering looking north from south of the intersection of Missouri and Main.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:41 pm I love the bridge. Hate the main street garage entrances. Remove 2 entrances on Main and add one from Independence Ave. and Im good to go.

KC Commercial Realty Group, Complete LLC, and EPC plans to build a six-story apartment community with about 190 market-rate units above 12,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, plus 372 spaces of structured parking.

EPC intends to move "full-speed ahead" through the city's predevelopment process; once approved, construction is expected to last roughly 20 months, McKeen said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... llins.html
What is so great about bridges that connect buildings? We need people on our sidewalks regardless of the weather. Looks like a hospital complex.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am indifferent about the bridge but they do serve a purpose for projects with multiple buildings. Residential amenities are divided between buildings so residents can reach all of them indoors within secured 'zone'. Design variation is also a plus and this doesn't suck and also not out of place for RM area. But would be good to see renderings of other sides.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Seems like the bridge will function similarly to that between 3 Light and 2 Light, which will connect the two amenity floors. Skywalks are poor design when used to travel between buildings, but I don’t think housing common spaces or apartment units is bad.

The bigger issue here is the bulkiness of the bridge. It’s too tall to be readable as lateral plane and too low to the ground to read as an elevated mass. It really does turn Main into a tunnel, no doubt about it