Bridging Park & Market

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Bridging Park & Market

Post by KCPowercat »

When will we hear any updates on this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Final report published. The most popular concept amongst the public was to not restore Highway 9 to grade. Blvd was second most popular

Of all the responses, the comment type that stood out the most is the fear of change, particularly the fear of changing the character of Columbus Park and River Market. There is concern over attracting high-rise development and luxury apartments and loss of history, culture, and community amenities such as the River Market Dog Park. Lowering Route 9 to grade would mean that the highway would be at the same level as front and back yards,
which was a repeated concern from people who do not mind the grade separation. Some respondents even noted that they liked having Route 9 at a higher level because it separates the more intense traffic from the community. There is fear that Route 9 at-grade would look too much like Southwest Trafficway or The Paseo, which are not seen as pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly streets. Several people also expressed concerns for traffic increases throughout the area.
  • PEDESTRIAN ENHANCEMENTS $800,000 TO $900,000
  • RESTORE INDEPENDENCE AVENUE $6.2 TO $6.8 MILLION
  • EAST ALIGNMENT
    $13.4 TO $14.8 MILLION.
    $19.6 to $21.6 million total in conjunction with Restore Independence Avenue
  • BOULEVARD ALIGNMENT
    $11.5 TO $16.6 MILLION
    $17.7 to $19.4 million total in conjunction with Restore Independence Avenue
https://www.downtownkc.org/hwy9/#updates--resources
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Protect our historic elevated highways!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm Protect our historic elevated highways!
if we make things better, it will make people want to live here, restoring the neighborhood to how it was before I moved in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kansas City, we like highway overpasses cutting through neighborhoods and even though we live downtown we hate density. I give up.

Of course the least amount of change is going to be the most popular, it's something improved so people would vote for it and it's not a dramatic change that "might lose the dog park" so they vote for it too. Not a good way to decide what we actually do though given the Boulevard concept was basically the same approval.

So basically this whole idea is dead except for maybe we'll add 3 more lights underneath the underpasses? Who is going to lead the next steps that we can help influence?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm Kansas City, we like highway overpasses cutting through neighborhoods and even though we live downtown we hate density. I give up.

Of course the least amount of change is going to be the most popular, it's something improved so people would vote for it and it's not a dramatic change that "might lose the dog park" so they vote for it too. Not a good way to decide what we actually do though given the Boulevard concept was basically the same approval.

So basically this whole idea is dead except for maybe we'll add 3 more lights underneath the underpasses? Who is going to lead the next steps that we can help influence?
Could be a bad sign for i70 removal. On the flipside, I feel like most complaints could be negated by concurrent i70 removal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

God forbid we lose a dog park that's just wasted highway land. Like don't you think we'd replace that with this extra land?

I guess I get the point that an at grade 9 highway could be a lot of traffic like a SW Trafficway if it's not done right and given our history it wouldn't be. I had an optimistic view of what we could do by bringing this down to grade but it could easily be done wrong.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 pm God forbid we lose a dog park that's just wasted highway land. Like don't you think we'd replace that with this extra land?

I guess I get the point that an at grade 9 highway could be a lot of traffic like a SW Trafficway if it's not done right and given our history it wouldn't be. I had an optimistic view of what we could do by bringing this down to grade but it could easily be done wrong.
The whole reason that dog park lacks much infrastructure is because it was supposed to be temporary!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:47 pm Final report published. The most popular concept amongst the public was to not restore Highway 9 to grade. Blvd was second most popular

Of all the responses, the comment type that stood out the most is the fear of change, particularly the fear of changing the character of Columbus Park and River Market. There is concern over attracting high-rise development and luxury apartments and loss of history, culture, and community amenities such as the River Market Dog Park. Lowering Route 9 to grade would mean that the highway would be at the same level as front and back yards,
which was a repeated concern from people who do not mind the grade separation. Some respondents even noted that they liked having Route 9 at a higher level because it separates the more intense traffic from the community. There is fear that Route 9 at-grade would look too much like Southwest Trafficway or The Paseo, which are not seen as pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly streets. Several people also expressed concerns for traffic increases throughout the area.
  • PEDESTRIAN ENHANCEMENTS $800,000 TO $900,000
  • RESTORE INDEPENDENCE AVENUE $6.2 TO $6.8 MILLION
  • EAST ALIGNMENT
    $13.4 TO $14.8 MILLION.
    $19.6 to $21.6 million total in conjunction with Restore Independence Avenue
  • BOULEVARD ALIGNMENT
    $11.5 TO $16.6 MILLION
    $17.7 to $19.4 million total in conjunction with Restore Independence Avenue
https://www.downtownkc.org/hwy9/#updates--resources
Is there a link to the report? I'm not seeing it on the link provided.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The River Market dog park is not a permanent amenity. MoDOT still owns the property. In fact, I don't think MoDOT will even allow it to be called a dog park.

UPDATE: My friend confirms it's the "River Market Off-Leash Area". P-A-R-K is a four-letter word in transportation.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

mods please retitle the thread to "bridging off leash area & market" thx
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Who makes the call and what’s the time line? How awful is this?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I guess they just push forward & ignore what people’s opinions are. I mean everyone expressed what a terrible design is slated for the new Buck O’Neil bridge but MODOT & others said “too bad, so sad” this is what we have the cash for. Couldn’t they basically do that again
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I guess I would ask how many people actually gave their opnions? Is this an active, minority voice, and the majority of the neighborhood didn't comment or show up? How many of them are actually property owners, and how many are renters who have no permanent stake in the neighborhood?

My point is that if 20 people actually filed out surveys, do they represent the neighborhood?
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm I guess they just push forward & ignore what people’s opinions are. I mean everyone expressed what a terrible design is slated for the new Buck O’Neil bridge but MODOT & others said “too bad, so sad” this is what we have the cash for. Couldn’t they basically do that again
Everyone? 60% loved the boulevard concept. Some of the negative comments to the idea are valid and can be addressed.

Need a champion for real change
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still have yet to see a city leader explain to residents how our lack of density is killing us financially, and is responsible for the sorry state of city services, parks, streets, etc. This is an opportunity to add density to a neighborhood, and additional tax revenue.

we have a city set up for at least a million residents, and we have 500,000 paying for it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems like a good job for Bunch but being a junior councilperson he'll just be shushed by the Loar faction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm Seems like a good job for Bunch but being a junior councilperson he'll just be shushed by the Loar faction.
Curious who is in the Loar faction or what groups people see developing with this council. It kind of seems everyone is an island.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Everybody over 50 is the Loar faction in my example. They want to make it known to the punk scooter rider kid who is the boss.