Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by Eon Blue »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 pm Under the right circumstances, we could eventually see all these corners around main developed right up to the tracks.

I hope anything built on the south side preserves the ability for Union Station to function in its original form as a train station once the north Pershing Square building has run its course. We ended up in a better spot than a lot of cities with our legacy train station, but it's still a shame that train passengers have to use a metal walkway scabbed onto the side of the grand hall to reach the platform.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Honestly why do we care that much about land adjcadnet to railroad tracks being renovated. That space seems perfect for the greenspace or parking structures and that's about it. I don't want to live/work/play next to 7 wide railroad tracks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am Honestly why do we care that much about land adjcadnet to railroad tracks being renovated. That space seems perfect for the greenspace or parking structures and that's about it. I don't want to live/work/play next to 7 wide railroad tracks.
I dunno. The Freight House and Union Station itself has proven it doesn't bother everyone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am Honestly why do we care that much about land adjcadnet to railroad tracks being renovated. That space seems perfect for the greenspace or parking structures and that's about it. I don't want to live/work/play next to 7 wide railroad tracks.
I dunno. The Freight House and Union Station itself has proven it doesn't bother everyone.
Which is fine. The surface lots right up against RR tracks just aren't a priority to me.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

To each their own
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

If anything, the tracks provide an opportunity for developers to build their beloved massive un-screened parking garage frontage and get it out of their system to focus on quality frontage on the other sides. :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:51 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am
Which is fine. The surface lots right up against RR tracks just aren't a priority to me.
The Loews has confirmed that highways are more of a nuisance.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Eon Blue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 amI hope anything built on the south side preserves the ability for Union Station to function in its original form as a train station once the north Pershing Square building has run its course. We ended up in a better spot than a lot of cities with our legacy train station, but it's still a shame that train passengers have to use a metal walkway scabbed onto the side of the grand hall to reach the platform.
This is a major pet peeve of mine. Union Station even has an original platform unobstructed on the west elevation, but because of 2 Pershing, it can't run through.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

New rendering view of Podium.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:57 pm New rendering view of Podium.
That is a sexy rendering
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:57 pm New rendering view of Podium.
That is a sexy rendering
Boing
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I spy a streetcar stop in this rendering too
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:07 pm I spy a streetcar stop in this rendering too
I feel that a streetcar stop here is pointless since it's about halfway between the Union Station and Crossroads stop. It's not that long of a walk to this site from either of those stops, especially once this is developed. Besides, it looks like this stop would only be for Northbound streetcars.

It's just a concept, but it should probably be left at that.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:07 pm I spy a streetcar stop in this rendering too
I feel that a streetcar stop here is pointless since it's about halfway between the Union Station and Crossroads stop. It's not that long of a walk to this site from either of those stops, especially once this is developed. Besides, it looks like this stop would only be for Northbound streetcars.

I agree, it’s only two blocks or so, unfortunately as Kansas City doesn’t have unlimited mass transit at this point it is important that we maximize the stops we have.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Not much different than the stop by Flashcube Bldg and the the next one across from Commerce Tower
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Not much different than the stop by Flashcube Bldg and the the next one across from Commerce Tower
I’m hoping to see one of those get removed at some point
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Finally, a project with some substance proposed for Main Street corridor. Looks nice. Hope it happens. At first the renderings looked too premature to take it seriously but that last rendering has had some effort put into it. Again, I hope it happens. Seems like developments like this are taking a while to get off the ground in KC, but at least there are proposals and renderings. For most of the time I lived in KC, there was barely even that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 pm Finally, a project with some substance proposed for Main Street corridor. Looks nice. Hope it happens. At first the renderings looked too premature to take it seriously but that last rendering has had some effort put into it. Again, I hope it happens. Seems like developments like this are taking a while to get off the ground in KC, but at least there are proposals and renderings. For most of the time I lived in KC, there was barely even that.
The national interest for Strata makes me bullish on this office proposal.

It would be a great location for a regional office or HQ. BCBS had been in the market for 150-200k sqft before corona hit. It wouldn’t be a far move either.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

When the streetcar gets extended to the Plaza they will need an additional stop at Union Station on the North-bound side of the street. The current Union Station stop will be for South-bound traffic only (not a combined stop). So they will need one somewhere. It could be at Washington Park. Looks like this developer is proposing to shift it north just a bit to this development. I really doubt anyone is proposing to have a stop across from Union Station AND a stop half a bock down at this development.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too massively blockey, Like 2 Pershing Square with some extra height on one end. Same mistake 30 years later with contemporary cladding.