Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by moderne »

Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I disagree. Unlike Two Pershing Square, this development doesn’t block the tracks that could be used for a real passenger platform with multiple tracks and entry through the traditional station gates. Not that we have a need right now with the paltry train service in this country. Just hoping that we get an administration that takes train service seriously like in Europe with modern, efficient high-speed trains. Having used such types of trains in Europe I dream of similar service someday in the US, especially in corridors linking higher population centers (KC-Chicago, KC-St. Louis, etc.). Not to mention the larger population centers on the East & West coasts.
The Podium project would provide the increased linkage we need between the Crossroads & Union Station/Crown Center. (referenced in an earlier post).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm Too massively blockey, Like 2 Pershing Square with some extra height on one end. Same mistake 30 years later with contemporary cladding.
I highly disagree. 2 Pershing is one of the worst buildings downtown on a number of levels, and this Podium project has none of its greatest flaws.

2 Pershing represents Trizec's greed and failure to renovate Union Station, the destruction of the original trainsheds, the attempted destruction of the waiting room, and a complete disregard for the city. It's too tall, too forbidding, too far from the street, and too banal as an architectural statement for that location. I sincerely want it gone someday.

Podium is the exact opposite. It sits right up to the street, has excellent materiality, interesting massing, and overall looks quite open and welcoming. Not to mention, the Podium project will include so much more than just an office building.

They're nothing alike.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Definitely going to be a big improvement if the office tower/hotel can be built.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The city has released Main Walnut Viaduct easement to the developer. Council documents list The Podium as Phase 1 of the redevelopment.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... ZQC3LsYdYr
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

They need to do a land swap with the Home2Suites owners so they can have more frontage the build along on Main Street.
Maybe they are/were considering this. I think one of the earlier massing renders showed a smaller building between the Home2Suites and the Podium project. This also could give the Home2Suites parking lot a better layout:

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:23 am The city has released Main Walnut Viaduct easement to the developer. Council documents list The Podium as Phase 1 of the redevelopment.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... ZQC3LsYdYr
Interesting that Podium is Phase 1. That would be good if we could get the tall portion of this development underway followed by the smaller, but just as transformative, projects.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:35 am They need to do a land swap with the Home2Suites owners so they can have more frontage the build along on Main Street.
Maybe they are/were considering this. I think one of the earlier massing renders showed a smaller building between the Home2Suites and the Podium project. This also could give the Home2Suites parking lot a better layout:

I don’t think it’s any renderings
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:35 am They need to do a land swap with the Home2Suites owners so they can have more frontage the build along on Main Street.

It will never happen, there's a garage entrance in the land you're saying the hotel should give up.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

flyingember wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:04 pm

It will never happen, there's a garage entrance in the land you're saying the hotel should give up.
It's MS Paint...move the yellow line south a few more pixels and you maintain access.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:30 pm

I can almost guarantee it was, on the 'first round'. But the images were shortly replaced on the cityscene site once the nicer renderings were made available
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:28 pm

I can almost guarantee it was, on the 'first round'. But the images were shortly replaced on the cityscene site once the nicer renderings were made available
It’s not on any of the conceptual drawings sent to the city in May/June and not in anything published by CC or Flatland in July.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:28 pm
It’s not on any of the conceptual drawings sent to the city in May/June and not in anything published by CC or Flatland in July.
This rendering shows the building/structure in debate in the bottom corner. This was shared on Kevin Collison's Twitter. https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 68/photo/1

Compared to the official renderings seen now, this building is not there.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I'm not crazy!! Thanks for finding that.
It could possibly be accomplished with an easement alone, allowing the building to be built on stilts in the air space above the little bit of surface parking in the southern tip of the Home2Suite's property.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm I'm not crazy!! Thanks for finding that.
It could possibly be accomplished with an easement alone, allowing the building to be built on stilts in the air space above the little bit of surface parking in the southern tip of the Home2Suite's property.
You were right! I wonder why it doesn't make an appearance in anything else?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I remember always dreaming many years ago what it would be like if the area between downtown and the crossroads were to fill in and create more of a single cohesive downtown. Maybe that's finally starting to happen. This looks like a great project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 am I remember always dreaming many years ago what it would be like if the area between downtown and the crossroads were to fill in and create more of a single cohesive downtown. Maybe that's finally starting to happen. This looks like a great project.
like what streets are you thinking between downtown and crossroads? This would be between crossroads and crown center? Are you just saying the crossroads to rise up a bit to help link with crown center? The elevation doesn't help.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I meant between downtown and crown center. But yea, just though it would be could to see the crossroads build up like what's happening basically. I always though it would be pretty amazing if the Plaza area buildings were all in all the empty lots of the crossroads. I know, nerdy, but can you imagine?
dakkottadavviss
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dakkottadavviss »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:40 pm I meant between downtown and crown center. But yea, just though it would be could to see the crossroads build up like what's happening basically. I always though it would be pretty amazing if the Plaza area buildings were all in all the empty lots of the crossroads. I know, nerdy, but can you imagine?
A good portion of the crossroads has very low height restrictions. Check out any of the pictures people take from the Liberty Memorial. You’ll see that the top of Arterra lines up perfectly with the Kauffman Center. There’s no such restriction between Wyandotte and grand. I imagine the city wants to see 10-30 story buildings on main and it slowly levels off along to the east and west. It’d be a really cool sight to look north from the viaduct and see the “canyon” formed by high rises along main.

As you can see by the pictures below. The city suggested buildings about 75’ tall for a large portion of that area. But you can see the small orange area north of union station has a height “recommendation” of 130’. Which matches up perfectly with Arterra being a 12 story building with 9’ tall ceilings.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

A tiny section of west Crossroads is limited to 35-55' to protect the view from PAC to Liberty Memorial (and projects that exceed that have been built -- Arterra -- if they prove they don't obstruct that view). The rest is totally acceptable urban density (75' to unlimited FAR).

We could add a lot of density if everything was six stories or more.

Corrigan Phase 2, City Club, Artistry, 1914 Main, Hampton Inn, Doubletree, and Reverb all undershot the restrictions.