Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by horizons82 »

https://cityscenekc.com/proposed-310m-d ... rossroads/

Vince Bryant has reveal his $310 mil project for the Freighthouse area. Love it!
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Major KC Fan »

I second that opinion. A great step in tying the Crossroads into Union Station/Crown Center. Now to use the Washington Park/Blue Cross building site proposals to tighten the link. Did I notice a streetcar stop in front of the proposed 18 floor office tower? Is this just wishful thinking by the developer or is there consideration into adding a stop along the long stretch between the Crossroads stop & Union Station? I could see it added as a Greenbelt Trail stop.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Freight House Podium Product - 20th and Walnut

Post by earthling »

Sounds great but will take with grain of salt until fully financed.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I love it! At the moment it feels like such an underutilized area
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Freight House Podium Project - 20th and Walnut

Post by dukuboy1 »

love it, and I like that they are courting out of town developers. The proposal is great and really works to improve a large area that needs some work to better fit into the surrounding neighborhood. I hope this project can get done
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Am I the only guy around here who notes a resemblance to Strata and to the proposed development near Denny's?

Regardless, this is a thing of beauty in a perfect location.

Let's hope these guys get the support, financing, and leasing in-place.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’d love to see an overview of what it would look like to have all of those buildings added in and 3 and 4 light
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I like this project. It's definitely going to be transformative. I hope it happens since it will act as an anchor to bigger things to happen in the Crossroads in the future. Between this and Tracks 215, there's a ton that Vince Bryant wants to do in this area. Hopefully he can pull it all off.

I have been informed that the office building (PODIUM on Main) is more of a concept right now and the design could change. Of course, probably not by much. With construction on that not expected to start for 2 years, I could see it being tweaked based on how the office and hotel market recover after corona.

Say if only the apartments, Superior Building renovation and townhomes get completed, this will have greatly changed the area for the better, or at least on Walnut.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

A few more renderings...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by normalthings »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am I second that opinion. A great step in tying the Crossroads into Union Station/Crown Center. Now to use the Washington Park/Blue Cross building site proposals to tighten the link. Did I notice a streetcar stop in front of the proposed 18 floor office tower? Is this just wishful thinking by the developer or is there consideration into adding a stop along the long stretch between the Crossroads stop & Union Station? I could see it added as a Greenbelt Trail stop.
Love this project. WSP would be a great transit center/TOD site.

Union Pacific had been rumored to be considering a move out of Omaha to be closer to existing rail talent. Their 4,000 person HQ is something we should look into poaching. Having them here in this site would be the perfect fit. UP overlooking the railroad, they could even have their own siding for their business train.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Under the right circumstances, we could eventually see all these corners around main developed right up to the tracks.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 pm Under the right circumstances, we could eventually see all these corners around main developed right up to the tracks.

I think the bottom right corner of the tracks will be key to activating Washington park. I would love to see some residential with retail on the bottom and a pedestrian bridge to the podium project to help connect it better
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we can't activate all 4 corners of most the of the CBD but I'll take it!

I like how they are inferring a streetcar stop be added for this project
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Love the look and scale of this project and love normalthing's Union Pacific idea. Do hope that 3D Development doesn't get spread too thin, there's a lot on their plate at the moment, especially for a local developer.

RE: the four corners, I don't think we'll see ever the Freight House parking lot developed, at least not all of it - way too valuable to the restaurants, which I believe share ownership of it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Take my money!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

rxlexi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pmRE: the four corners, I don't think we'll see ever the Freight House parking lot developed, at least not all of it - way too valuable to the restaurants, which I believe share ownership of it.
I think it’s plausible to build shallow buildings fronting main. Shallow enough that they don’t cut into the lot too much.

That could also be a good time to build a garage.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 pm
rxlexi wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pmRE: the four corners, I don't think we'll see ever the Freight House parking lot developed, at least not all of it - way too valuable to the restaurants, which I believe share ownership of it.
I think it’s plausible to build shallow buildings fronting main. Shallow enough that they don’t cut into the lot too much.

Reasonably, you could build a 2-3 story parking garage with dedicated free parking for the businesses at the Freight House. Maybe have a separate entrance to the garage just for that. On top of this garage, you could have some apartments (like Tracks 215) take up the entire garage or build a high-rise similar to the PODIUM up along Main that only occupies about half of the garage space. The other half of the garage could be a rooftop garden or something like that. I think a compromise like this would work out and make a lot of people happy. The main issue here is not disturbing the flow of customers at the businesses at the Freight House. It would be difficult but could be done.

If a parking garage across the whole parcel is too difficult, and could potentially cause too many problems, then a L shaped garage and building built to the East of the driveway to come into the Freight House parking lot would work. You could build a high-rise there, add more parking and build up to Main without shutting the entire parking lot off during the duration of construction. After this is built, then you could build on the other parking lot with a Tracks 215 style building.

Compromises can be made.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:22 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Reasonably, you could build a 2-3 story parking garage with dedicated free parking for the businesses at the Freight House. Maybe have a separate entrance to the garage just for that. On top of this garage, you could have some apartments (like Tracks 215) take up the entire garage or build a high-rise similar to the PODIUM up along Main that only occupies about half of the garage space. The other half of the garage could be a rooftop garden or something like that. I think a compromise like this would work out and make a lot of people happy. The main issue here is not disturbing the flow of customers at the businesses at the Freight House. It would be difficult but could be done.

If a parking garage across the whole parcel is too difficult, and could potentially cause too many problems, then a L shaped garage and building built to the East of the driveway to come into the Freight House parking lot would work. You could build a high-rise there, add more parking and build up to Main without shutting the entire parking lot off during the duration of construction. After this is built, then you could build on the other parking lot with a Tracks 215 style building.

Compromises can be made.
I think as far as this parcel goes, a garage with free parking would do wonders. The garage could front the street with an entrance and exit, doors leading into the restaurants from the fourth floor. And then wrap the sides not facing the restaurants in apartments