Pursuing another downtown attraction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Pursuing another downtown attraction

Post by taxi »

We blew it by not getting the Evel Knievel museum.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:09 pm The liberty memorial tower is in good shape, but the grounds are pretty rough. Lots of damaged stonework and landscaping.

Science city recently got a multi million dollar expansion and is doing well by all accounts
What’s not crumbling needs a cleaning. Fountains have been empty for years and need maintenance I assume.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Who even pays for that? I swear we have a sales tax for fucking everything but we can't even keep our marquee public museum in working order.

It's infuriating.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm Who even pays for that? I swear we have a sales tax for fucking everything but we can't even keep our marquee public museum in working order.

It's infuriating.
Considering It is the NATIONAL WWI museum, I wonder if the museum could apply for funding through the Federal Parks Department. That would provide more than what is necessary to maintain it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm Who even pays for that? I swear we have a sales tax for fucking everything but we can't even keep our marquee public museum in working order.

It's infuriating.
Considering It is the NATIONAL WWI museum, I wonder if the museum could apply for funding through the Federal Parks Department. That would provide more than what is necessary to maintain it.
Owned by the city not NPS. National status was written into a bigger defense bill and maybe funding would be as well.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't know enough about this to comment intelligently, but if the NPS or Smithsonian or whoever runs these things wants to take it over, I'd support that. The city doesn't seem up to the task.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The city doesn't run the museum itself. An independent non-profit does.
Does this extend to the immediate grounds?

The parks dept has a seat on the board and that's the extend of city involvement.

https://theworldwar-prod.s3.amazonaws.c ... t_2019.pdf
page 18 and bottom of 19 has the board for 2019

Since I see a congressman on the board, I bet they've gone down the path for funding from congress already