Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by earthling »

^It's a pretty good concept but would recommend fusing that building into and above/over the stands. And a few more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm Image
If it's aimed like Houston or Toronto(?), you could get downtown views from 18th and Vine
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm Image
If it's aimed like Houston or Toronto(?), you could get downtown views from 18th and Vine
Those are indoor stadiums I believe.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I found an older chart that designated the indoor / retractable roof stadiums. This one still is from 2017 so missing a few new stadiums
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:18 pmThose are indoor stadiums I believe.
Ope
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm even if it is built North/North East from East Village. This should be Incentive to create some new Skyline beyond the walls of the outfield. I bet you could even get projects that would start at the same time of construction to time their opening with the new stadium. Build some residential Towers or mixed use hotel/business/residential buildings that will have views of the new ball park. I can see it all happening at once, since there are vacant lots and or parcels of land with opportunities in an areas of downtown that has yet to experience a "boom"
That's the approach Pendulum's proposal appeared to take.

That ballpark looks like it was designed for a minor league team. Where are the upper decks?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That Pendulum fake fan sign didn't age well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm even if it is built North/North East from East Village. This should be Incentive to create some new Skyline beyond the walls of the outfield. I bet you could even get projects that would start at the same time of construction to time their opening with the new stadium. Build some residential Towers or mixed use hotel/business/residential buildings that will have views of the new ball park. I can see it all happening at once, since there are vacant lots and or parcels of land with opportunities in an areas of downtown that has yet to experience a "boom"
That's the approach Pendulum's proposal appeared to take.

That ballpark looks like it was designed for a minor league team. Where are the upper decks?
Why build something that will never be used
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Why wouldn't they get used? Typical KC response. Let's think small and build a little minor league ballpark that seats 20k and then we can worry about adding more seats later. If they want taxpayer support, I would not vote for a downtown stadium if it didn't seat at least 30k+.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I honestly love the smaller park idea - Sporting Park just feels so much more in the action and intimate compared to Kaufman and Arrowhead
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:59 am Why wouldn't they get used? Typical KC response. Let's think small and build a little minor league ballpark that seats 20k and then we can worry about adding more seats later. If they want taxpayer support, I would not vote for a downtown stadium if it didn't seat at least 30k+.
They're not going to build a 20K seat stadium. But I don't think a 32K seat stadium should be out of the question.

And I'm not sure how you're getting a minor league stadium from the one rendering posted here. There isn't any need to have huge third levels in the outfield if you're building a 32K or even 36K seat stadium. Especially if you want views. Ideally, if you have seats higher up, you put those closer to home plate. I don't think you can really tell what's happening inside 1st and 3rd base from this rendering. Are there other views not posted here?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There is like zero wow factor to this east village proposal. Did they hire Edgemoor to design it too? Gotta do better than this or just leave it where it is.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:59 am Why wouldn't they get used? Typical KC response. Let's think small and build a little minor league ballpark that seats 20k and then we can worry about adding more seats later. If they want taxpayer support, I would not vote for a downtown stadium if it didn't seat at least 30k+.
Royals just do not bring in that many people.If they build right sized they wouldn’t need as much public support or maybe any. For fans, a smaller stadium means a better atmosphere. Sporting KC is electric, always sells out, and actively chooses not to expand.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Royals just do not bring in that many people.If they build right sized they wouldn’t need as much public support or maybe any. For fans, a smaller stadium means a better atmosphere. Sporting KC is electric, always sells out, and actively chooses not to expand.
Still, this is MLB, not AAA or AA. KC should build a 33-35k stadium, which would be around right or it probably should not have a MLB team anymore. I agree that the Royals have terrible attendance. They had a few good years when they average the league average. But to build a 25k seat stadium would be really dumb. And yeah, try to make it have a view of something.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Since some of us seem to have forgotten the pendulum proposal, here are some of the other renderings of it. It's pretty out there.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A new downtown park is going to be 33-35k I'd bet anything on that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If your are going to build a minor league park, at least place it so it has a view (see Charlotte). A small park facing northeast or east out of downtown honestly sounds depressing. Just leave it where it's at if you don't do a massive improvement.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Just spitballing, but if the fbi does end up moving, what about over there, would It be able to face downtown then?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Forget capping the north and south loop (outside the convention center area) and get that east loop underground and that would open up all kinds of options.

Last edited by GRID on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.