OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by KCPowercat »

That should wonk up everybody's gps to Sprint center
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Tis the price of progress
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't have to be but our leaders are weak
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

God the P&L building is such a good looking structure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Was excited to see the planned pedestrian covered walkway on 14th.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If they are going to keep the large garage façade they may as well make it interesting. Im a big fan of these wavy facades (see below). Little metal rectangles are allowed to move with the wind which creates a wave effect. Lighting can also be used to create some cool contrasts.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I really don’t understand why they insist on muddling a rather straightforward architectural design with a mismatched and intimidating ground floor. Even looking at it from a suburban mindset, I would think they’d want cars going through the car holes to be a bit more inspired
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have a feeling this will turn out nothing like the renderings. It will look like what it really is. Mostly a parking structure. I don't see B&M pulling off making the garage look like the office space like the renderings show.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:17 pm I have a feeling this will turn out nothing like the renderings. It will look like what it really is. Mostly a parking structure. I don't see B&M pulling off making the garage look like the office space like the renderings show.
It all depends on the color and reflectivity of the glass. I could see mirrored glass like in the Light towers being easy to match between the sections.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Revised Waddell & Reed HQ Design Gets Thumbs Down from Neighborhood
But it’s not enough for critics who note the project, as previously designed, offered only a blank facade punctuated by three driveways to pedestrians using important downtown corridors for visitors and residents.

“I’d say the proposed revisions are minimal and a token gesture to the neighborhood and less of the fundamental change we’re seeking on the project, said Josh Boem, vice president for planning and development for the Downtown Neighborhood Association.
While the designer, Burns & McDonnell, has sought to make the sidewalks adjoining the building more appealing with “urban garden” landscaping, the original first floor design was slammed by the city planning staff in its report to the Commission.

“The downtown pedestrian standards require ground level transparency,” the planning staff report stated.

“This design provides none of these elements and fails to engage the pedestrian on any of the three public-facing facades.”
Boem also said the DNA is skeptical that Burns & McDonnell will follow through on its revised plan for the Waddell & Reed project.

He noted the firm recently scaled back streetscape amenities that had been planned for another downtown building it designed, the REVERB apartment tower at 18th and Walnut.

“Our neighborhood is going to view any design proposal with a high level of skepticism,” he said, “given the previous bait and switch.”
https://cityscenekc.com/revised-waddell ... FzTJOW_dC0
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still don't understand why they are putting in that landscaped garden along 14th Street. The building is set far enough away from the street that they could put in small retail spaces. Narrow spaces like that are enough for a counter service cafe, coffee place, and a hair or nail salon. They are also wide enough for an indoor bank ATM lobby.

I predict plants will struggle to survive in that garden area because the sun will be blocked by tall buildings around that intersection. I'll bet not one planning person from B&M has consulted a landscape expert about the viability of a garden there.

Look at this narrow luncheonette in New York City.

Link to exterior view of building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lexin ... 0127?hl=en
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I mean they're trying to make the ground floor better, but they're failing miserably. Go back to the drawing board for the entire first floor and figure out ways to make it far better and I'm sure that's what people want, but we're not going to get.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:19 pm I still don't understand why they are putting in that landscaped garden along 14th Street. The building is set far enough away from the street that they could put in small retail spaces.
They would have to take ROW to expand the building out into the "set back" What if they allowed food trucks and vendor tents to set up during lunch hours?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Wonder if the potential depression will stop this project?
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Still wondering why one needs 10 stories of parking for 8 stories of office floors. #confused
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

atticus23 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm Still wondering why one needs 10 stories of parking for 8 stories of office floors. #confused
with the aisle for two spot cars get a ~8x32 space or 192 sq feet per car minimum

people get a 10x10 cube + a 6 foot aisle, or 160 sq feet

so the garage should be approx 120% the space people get
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

atticus23 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm Still wondering why one needs 10 stories of parking for 8 stories of office floors. #confused
Seems excessive. I wonder if the building is being constructed so that extra levels could be added to the top in the future?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCLover wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm
Seems excessive. I wonder if the building is being constructed so that extra levels could be added to the top in the future?
Unlikely. It would benefit them to state that at the beginning, which they haven't. Copaken did that with the Corrigan garage (but it's unlikely they'll actually act on it).