OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by Chris Stritzel »

In my opinion, getting this building filled, with a single tenant or multiple, is the key to pressing "start" on the other spec office buildings in downtown kc (13th and Wyandotte, Strata, and Podium) and kicking off a grander building boom. 13th and Grand and 1034 Main are the two more unlikely ones to happen regardless and should find salvation as residential. But the future of office development in downtown kc falls onto the success of 1400 Baltimore. Things would really move fast if a tenant was known on a national level and preferably one from a city like Chicago or from the northeast. While unlikely, getting a tenant like that would really do wonders.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

CorneliusFB wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:31 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:32 am Tenant interest is local. Not catching the eye of National relocations.
How heavily is it being advertised to companies outside the area though?
Wait, I thought we were told companies would be lining up to come downtown if there was just a class A spec space ready to go? Kidding aside, Bob Fagan with CBRE is marketing the space. He has about as good of national connections as anyone else. The turmoil at the EDC might not be helping though.
EDC staff started running for the hills once Lucas elected and especially once he cut the budget. It will need to be rebuilt. KCEDC does little when it comes to national attraction. KCADC attracts businesses to region and then sends them to KCEDC if that area is what they are looking for.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:19 pm In my opinion, getting this building filled, with a single tenant or multiple, is the key to pressing "start" on the other spec office buildings in downtown kc (13th and Wyandotte, Strata, and Podium) and kicking off a grander building boom. 13th and Grand and 1034 Main are the two more unlikely ones to happen regardless and should find salvation as residential. But the future of office development in downtown kc falls onto the success of 1400 Baltimore. Things would really move fast if a tenant was known on a national level and preferably one from a city like Chicago or from the northeast. While unlikely, getting a tenant like that would really do wonders.
I think this is accurate. The downside is that if it goes unleased for a long period of time it will be seen as confirmation for what many already suspect about KC; that building speculative offices downtown is a very risky proposition.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m hearing there’s interest, just not the perfect interest. The building is set up best as a single tenant and I think that is what they would like to rent it as. While I think there has been minimal outside KC interest, that doesn’t mean that one of the companies couldn’t pull the trigger on it quickly if they made a decision to move. I’d be surprised if this bragged out much longer anyway. Just takes one party to close it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The only thing I care about with this building is that is gives off enough demand to get Strata built.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:19 pm In my opinion, getting this building filled, with a single tenant or multiple, is the key to pressing "start" on the other spec office buildings in downtown kc (13th and Wyandotte, Strata, and Podium) and kicking off a grander building boom. 13th and Grand and 1034 Main are the two more unlikely ones to happen regardless and should find salvation as residential. But the future of office development in downtown kc falls onto the success of 1400 Baltimore. Things would really move fast if a tenant was known on a national level and preferably one from a city like Chicago or from the northeast. While unlikely, getting a tenant like that would really do wonders.
I think this is accurate. The downside is that if it goes unleased for a long period of time it will be seen as confirmation for what many already suspect about KC; that building speculative offices downtown is a very risky proposition.
It's the _ultimate_ test and no one knows the outcome yet. Nearly complete and no major lease announced is mildly concerning. If they have to drop rates to attract tenants, is also not a good momentum for more spec. High vacancy in Crown Center doesn't help either.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Wouldn’t be kcrag without some good ol’ KC panic.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just setting expectations, not enticing panic. Would be awesome if an outside company grabbed the building. But chances not high with nearly all markets with high Class A vacancy and better air service.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm Just setting expectations, not enticing panic. Would be awesome if an outside company grabbed the building. But chances not high with nearly all markets with high Class A vacancy and better air service.
Expectations sometime have the ability to influence reality.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pursue for the best case, prepare for the worst.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:05 pm Pursue for the best case, prepare for the worst.
Prepare for the worst, get the worst.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^The difference between a balls out gambling problem and level headed investing.

I'm sure the investors in this building are well prepared for worst case scenario but if their worst case scenario happens (such as lower lease rates, longer term ROI), likely doesn't bode well for future spec momentum.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC has mentioned something awhile back about hearing there'd prob be a tenant ready when it's open
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Hopefully a good chunk of building at the asking lease rate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:03 pm ^Hopefully a good chunk of building at the asking lease rate.
man, you're cynical! It just takes one or two people saying there's no demand (when there is!) or throwing out "dropping asking lease rate!" messages that get picked up by others who add to it to "there is absolutely no interest in renting 1400KC. DT is dying!" I just don't get the motivation. It's pure conjecture. If you're for development and spec office construction DT, just don't start negativity.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Huh, curious take. Highlander brought it up too. Was that also cynical? We're just talking realistically potential scenarios given office vacancy already high and still rising overall, which impacts lease rates in the industry so also brought up. Take a closer look at the office thread. The building will probably draw but the point was that if at a lower leasing rate or slow uptake, it will probably slow down momentum for Strata, etc.

If it leases up quickly at the asking rate, great news for Strata! This building will be the telling test.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

But when is this building supposed to be done by?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:33 am But when is this building supposed to be done by?
Next year
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:03 pm ^Hopefully a good chunk of building at the asking lease rate.
man, you're cynical! It just takes one or two people saying there's no demand (when there is!) or throwing out "dropping asking lease rate!" messages that get picked up by others who add to it to "there is absolutely no interest in renting 1400KC. DT is dying!" I just don't get the motivation. It's pure conjecture. If you're for development and spec office construction DT, just don't start negativity.
I do not think that's a cynical take. KC's development community has always had an aversion to risk. Grid also has written volumes about this subject. Given that there have been historically so few purely speculative offices built in downtown, it's only natural and expected that the community would eagerly await the results of the leasing effort, seeing them either as a reason to move forward or as a reason to exercise caution.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The solid cladding("big blank walls") has an interesting pattern. The tiles are sized and set in the same pattern as the limestone blocks on the upper portion of Municipal Auditorium, but vertical. Wonder if there is a spot where one can see both at the same time?