OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:09 pm
longviewmo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:05 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:48 am

Exactly. I take thousands of photos a year of downtown but to show them here requires a level of effort that’s not quick.
Imgur makes it pretty quick
As does posting them first to Twitter.
Ha, that's brilliant, no one reads by twitter feed anyway!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When should we start to really wonder about the leasing news here?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^If it's designed for a single tenant as mentioned could take a while as leases expire for interested companies, wouldn't be surprising if over a year in this unusual era. Will be interesting to see if asking rate drops over time. Hopefully it scores a major expansion from a large national company wanting new A space but competition is high as other large markets have higher Class A vacancy than KC and better air service.

Retrofitting to allow easier multi-tenant use might be next step. Haven't heard the design limitation but if it doesn't have secured elevator entry ways per floor, that's an example of something that might need to be retrofitted. Would make a great high end co-working/flex space building (WeWork, PlexPod, etc) for at least some floors.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:17 am ^If it's designed for a single tenant as mentioned could take a while as leases expire for interested companies, wouldn't be surprising if over a year in this unusual era. Will be interesting to see if asking rate drops over time. Hopefully it scores a major expansion from a large national company wanting new A space but competition is high as other large markets have higher Class A vacancy than KC and better air service.

Retrofitting to allow easier multi-tenant use might be next step. Haven't heard the design limitation but if it doesn't have secured elevator entry ways per floor, that's an example of something that might need to be retrofitted. Would make a great high end co-working/flex space building (WeWork, PlexPod, etc) for at least some floors.
The co-working market seems to be overdone right now with empty inventory. Many people have returned to formal office settings and have left temporary co-working setups.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That's too bad if the case for KC but not surprising as there's still a lot of shifting patterns with office use. Will of course take time for the dust to settle. There used to be 'flex space' tracking reports but I haven't seen one in a couple years, this article claims co-working space growth is coming back at least in some markets.

Anyone know the design limitations that would make this building difficult for multi-tenant use?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:21 am ^That's too bad if the case for KC but not surprising as there's still a lot of shifting patterns with office use. Will of course take time for the dust to settle. There used to be 'flex space' tracking reports but I haven't seen one in a couple years, this article claims co-working space growth is coming back at least in some markets.

Anyone know the design limitations that would make this building difficult for multi-tenant use?
I assume the lobby/elevator system. I'd assume that w&r would have built in security though so people can't just wonder the building.

Might not be well set up for people wanting different amounts of space too. I don't know what the floor plates look like.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:46 pm
earthling wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:21 am ^That's too bad if the case for KC but not surprising as there's still a lot of shifting patterns with office use. Will of course take time for the dust to settle. There used to be 'flex space' tracking reports but I haven't seen one in a couple years, this article claims co-working space growth is coming back at least in some markets.

I assume the lobby/elevator system. I'd assume that w&r would have built in security though so people can't just wonder the building.

Might not be well set up for people wanting different amounts of space too. I don't know what the floor plates look like.
1400 Baltimore has key card access to the VHT. Not the most common amongst downtown KC office towers.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For people that don’t know, modern multi-tenant towers have fairly advanced elevator systems.

Last one I was at recently, I registered at the front desk, they checked their system and gave me a one use card, swipe it at the elevator, and it assigns you an elevator and takes you only to that floor.

Employees will key in at the lobby too obviously.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 am For people that don’t know, modern multi-tenant towers have fairly advanced elevator systems.

Last one I was at recently, I registered at the front desk, they checked their system and gave me a one use card, swipe it at the elevator, and it assigns you an elevator and takes you only to that floor.

1400 will have gates before you can get to the VHT. Common in big-city office towers
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:31 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 am For people that don’t know, modern multi-tenant towers have fairly advanced elevator systems.

1400 will have gates before you can get to the VHT. Common in big-city office towers
None of this is gonna matter if we can't find a tenant. I'm really getting worried here this whole thing is gonna destroy the downtown KC office future for all.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Don’t be concerned about it right now.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And in addition some still have wall/glass elevator lobbies at each floor where you must badge in to get to the floor. Whatever the security method, is security access the issue with 1400 building preventing multi-tenant use? Security mods don't seem like showstoppers, would think it would be not too difficult to adapt if not able to find a single tenant in X amount of time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCKev wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:18 pm
moderne wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:59 pm The solid cladding("big blank walls") has an interesting pattern. The tiles are sized and set in the same pattern as the limestone blocks on the upper portion of Municipal Auditorium, but vertical. Wonder if there is a spot where one can see both at the same time?
Where's Tosspot when you need him? Miss his photos very much. You'd think with everyone having good phone cameras you never be without good pics of everything happening in KC, but it seems everyone just flaps there jaws about who knows development best ,living life in there own minds. It's not hard to point and shoot! Maybe it is for those without creativity.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXKpYfSrJkt ... _copy_link

https://www.facebook.com/ericbowersphot ... 724631183/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I must say, the blank walls are turning out better than I thought they would. I like it. I think the north side of the building is hideous though with that garage exterior. The south and east sides look pretty good though considering this building over 50% parking structure.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:26 pm I must say, the blank walls are turning out better than I thought they would. I like it. I think the north side of the building is hideous though with that garage exterior. The south and east sides look pretty good though considering this building over 50% parking structure.
Fortunately, the north side of the building (especially the lower part) will be visible from very few places in KC. It's pretty difficult to see unless you are actually driving down 14th street.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

looks pretty good
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Thought about this for a long time, but I think if I had to choose only one to get built between Strata and Waddell, I’d go the Waddell building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Strata can always be built later.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

In a perfect world, Oracle truly commits to KC for Health division and something approximately along these lines occur...
- Oracle leases out all of W&R (or purchases it)
- Pre-leases Strata
- Builds out Oracle Cloud data centers at Bannister complex instead of more office
- Cerner exec starts School of Tech/Health IT at UMKC (internships for Oracle Health and general KC data center momentum)
- Larry Ellison starts a new airline (he once had one in Hawaii) with hubs in KC/Austin/Nashville including several international destinations