OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by normalthings »

Major KC Fan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 pm That view will change when (&if) Three & Four light are built. Should be an impressive towering view from the freeway below unless the much needed cap is built over the south loop. Loews and the KC Star buildings will be the south side towers from that view with the possibility of others along the south edge. Anyone know of any plans along the south side of the trench?
The Fan 360/Sporting KC Tower
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Any details, sketches, etc??
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Major KC Fan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:23 pm Any details, sketches, etc??
Height: Somewhere around 15-20 floors.
Uses: 1st floor retail. Apartment and/or hotel with parking for tenants + existing surface lot users.

Drawings and Renderings exist but are private. We haven't heard about this project in a few years but I'm sure Fan 360 will pull it off eventually.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Thanks for enlightening me. Anyone know if the Calverts parcel has anything going on? I know it was for sale for around $1m at one time. A crucial location along the streetcar line being way underutilized.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Major KC Fan wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:14 am Thanks for enlightening me. Anyone know if the Calverts parcel has anything going on? I know it was for sale for around $1m at one time. A crucial location along the streetcar line being way underutilized.
Calvert's lot comes back to this firm. It would be cool if they kept an auto shop on the bottom floor of a new highrise

https://www.skyre.com

The firm's current president was previously a partner at and VP of development at RED Development.
https://www.reddevelopment.com/properti ... on-dallas/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This project will be heard at the Neighborhood Planning & Development committee tomorrow (Wednesday 4/15). Given the difficulties of offering public testimony these days, I expect it will pass and we will build a building with no ground floor in the heart of our walkable downtown at great financial expense to the City.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ISn't there an email address now?
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

The plans on file show a retail space on Baltimore.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kas1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:14 pm The plans on file show a retail space on Baltimore.
Leaving 2 other blank sides.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What do you mean? There are nice car holes on those sides
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kas1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:14 pm The plans on file show a retail space on Baltimore.
Yes, technically, there is a small retail space added to the SE corner of the project. Nothing was done to address the 14th Street face which was requested by City Planning, the neighborhood, and Downtown Council.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Didn’t Cityscene report that the city rejected that plan? I think they’re making them redo it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

14th is the key street in this ground level design. The other streets I care much less about.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New renderings have been produced. Not much has changed but I included night time shots we haven't seen before. Notice the metal facade lights up some.

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looks nice at night. Hopefully the lights have the ability to change color like a lot of the other buildings. Also, I noticed that the building's tiers are not offset from the others. They're straighter now. Another observation, the wall along 14th is blank for the parking floors.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Those renderings seem to be saying "here, retail on ground floor, see it all shoved up into the corner, it's all lit up, now leave us alone."

I'm interested in more 14th street views but this is promising.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The east facade of the tower has changed significantly. (metal blocks and glass blocks flip-flopped).
The lobby has improved significantly and is more open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:46 pm The east facade of the tower has changed significantly. (metal blocks and glass blocks flip-flopped).
The lobby has improved significantly and is more open.
I kind of got that from the one shot just didn't see a lot of that facade to know if it went the whole length.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Important to keep in mind as well that the majority of the floors you're seeing lit up are simply parking decks. It may be that this is what we get with this project, but we shouldn't be happy or count this as a win (at least from an urban planning/design perspective). Certainly, I will welcome the jobs, but not the 900 parking stalls or blank walls.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm Important to keep in mind as well that the majority of the floors you're seeing lit up are simply parking decks. It may be that this is what we get with this project, but we shouldn't be happy or count this as a win (at least from an urban planning/design perspective). Certainly, I will welcome the jobs, but not the 900 parking stalls or blank walls.
They are going to have to light their garage so as long as they promise and stick with putting a glass facade on it I think it will look similar to this.

The black part of the parking garage while ugly will probably look cool at night. We need to ensure that 14th street remains well lit at night.