OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by moderne »

That was an odd little building. But at least it had what W&R say they cannot. Retail under the parking. Plus a cool little limestone outcrop about to disappear into the history of Gullytown.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Looking at the site yesterday, I really really wish this could just become a small park, bluff and all. The Power and Light building is just so cool and powerful looking. You can appreciate the building even more now that the South face is exposed. A really interactive park with some great landscaping, steps up the bluff for a lookout etc would give people a great place to enjoy the sites, take selfies etc.

Sad it will all be enclosed in and filled with concrete.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:23 pm Looking at the site yesterday, I really really wish this could just become a small park, bluff and all. The Power and Light building is just so cool and powerful looking. You can appreciate the building even more now that the South face is exposed. A really interactive park with some great landscaping, steps up the bluff for a lookout etc would give people a great place to enjoy the sites, take selfies etc.

I thoroughly disagree.

I'm a fan of the Power and Light Building, but it was clearly designed to be surrounded by other substantial buildings. Just look at the blank west elevation, which was clearly intended for a very tall building to butt up against it. Notice, also, how they chose to build the P&L Building across the street from the existing Hotel President, which is only a few stories shorter than W&R. If the architects of the P&L Building wanted it to stay by itself, they'd have put it further from the CBD. They intended for it to be surrounded, maybe not by equally tall buildings, but certainly by sizable infill.

P&L isn't a monument, it's a commercial skyscraper. I think it will look even better and less lonely with some more neighbors.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Midtownkid wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:23 pm Looking at the site yesterday, I really really wish this could just become a small park, bluff and all. The Power and Light building is just so cool and powerful looking. You can appreciate the building even more now that the South face is exposed. A really interactive park with some great landscaping, steps up the bluff for a lookout etc would give people a great place to enjoy the sites, take selfies etc.

I thoroughly disagree.

I'm a fan of the Power and Light Building, but it was clearly designed to be surrounded by other substantial buildings. Just look at the blank west elevation, which was clearly intended for a very tall building to butt up against it. Notice, also, how they chose to build the P&L Building across the street from the existing Hotel President, which is only a few stories shorter than W&R. If the architects of the P&L Building wanted it to stay by itself, they'd have put it further from the CBD. They intended for it to be surrounded, maybe not by equally tall buildings, but certainly by sizable infill.

P&L isn't a monument, it's a commercial skyscraper. I think it will look even better and less lonely with some more neighbors.
This parcel should definitely have a high-density development on it.

A highway cap is an achievable but expensive goal.

The building's design with an oppressive parking podium and no street level activation is pretty shitty, especially long term and I think they'll regret.

The more development along the concrete car sewer that is 670, hopefully the more momentum there is for a cap over it. The cap and I-70 removal/realignment should be top downtown priorities for KCMO in the 2020s.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agree on the cap over 670. North loop of I-70 trickier. I do support realignment of terribly dangerous on ramps from downtown need to go and be reworked. I also support development infill with that realignment. However total removal is tough. I live in the Northland traffic is bad enough on I-29/35 into that area, with truck traffic coming up out of Northtown & East Bottoms being the worst. Really would love to look at alternatives for that traffic & through semi traffic first. Saying you can route it all to 670 is shortsighted. Huge bottlenecks on the east side of the loop as well. The whole area around downtown highway access needs to be updated IMO.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:30 am Agree on the cap over 670. North loop of I-70 trickier. I do support realignment of terribly dangerous on ramps from downtown need to go and be reworked. I also support development infill with that realignment. However total removal is tough. I live in the Northland traffic is bad enough on I-29/35 into that area, with truck traffic coming up out of Northtown & East Bottoms being the worst. Really would love to look at alternatives for that traffic & through semi traffic first. Saying you can route it all to 670 is shortsighted. Huge bottlenecks on the east side of the loop as well. The whole area around downtown highway access needs to be updated IMO.
Induced demand works both ways. You induce demand to use a different road by reducing capacity on the current preferred route. It's why traffic doesn't increase in an area when roads are closed.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

i understand the premise, but curious where we could re-route traffic if North loop was completely closed. The East Bottoms, and NKC have no other route to get to I-70 or I-35/I-29 effectively. Access in East Bottoms is basically Front St. With Highways at 435 side and I-29/I-35. There are no alternate routes, and only a few that take you south up the bluff but through residential neighborhoods. West of Bond bridge there are even less routes or places to go as NKC access means getting over the River. I would love to see some studies to see how to effectively re-route all that truck/commercial traffic
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You don't reroute traffic. People will find their new best route.

It's not possible to create a single reroute that works for 100,000 different paths.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The East Bottoms is significantly important in terms of economic activity to KCMO. Nothing in the next 50 years will be done to impede the smooth flow of trucking traffic through that area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parcels updated to show a new owner: "1400 Baltimore Owner LLC "
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 am The East Bottoms is significantly important in terms of economic activity to KCMO. Nothing in the next 50 years will be done to impede the smooth flow of trucking traffic through that area.
I bet there's way more economic activity within a few blocks of the north side of the loop.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

You under estimate the East Bottoms
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:49 pm You under estimate the East Bottoms
That's my point
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Any photo updates?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:07 pm Any photo updates?
Saturday:

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Opened up some nice views of P&L

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Like the views of Muni Aud from the SE. Will never be able to see the entire E & S sides in one frame again. What a great and ever functional masterpiece
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:19 pm Like the views of Muni Aud from the SE. Will never be able to see the entire E & S sides in one frame again. What a great and ever functional masterpiece
Deserves a good cleaning.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:19 pm Like the views of Muni Aud from the SE. Will never be able to see the entire E & S sides in one frame again. What a great and ever functional masterpiece
Slightly related: After demolition of the Lyric and some construction wrap-up I recently noticed that I can see the Central Exchange firehouse from my apartment now. Mildly exciting!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Longterm Traffic Control Permit Approved:

When: 550 days, 03/17/2020 to 09/17/2021

What: Closing EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore splitting traffic in WB, closing NB parking lane of Wyandotte from 14th to approx. 200' South, and closing Baltimore from 14th to Truman but leaving access to public parking lot on the East side from Truman