OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 pm ^Not just 'say', the City must have some basic 'requirements' for projects that involve incentives.

Requiring some form of publicly accessible function would be a start and would solve a lot of mistakes being made. Need to stop suburban mentality encroaching downtown/midtown. Suburban city council members also need to understand what's appropriate per all KCMO districts.

What's most sad is that too many local developers don't know better.
What's sad is too many local developers do

Look at the JE Dunn parking garage downtown. There's zero chance they don't know how to do quality urban development.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's a huge screw up that DNA didn't make sure at least a few residents were there to voice their concerns. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to spend the morning at City Hall, but it's no secret that sending a letter is worthless.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imagine official neighborhood association voices being dismissed because people can't physically be there all day.

#smartcity
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Everyone knows you have to show up to CPC. That’s just the reality until someone passes an ordinance to move the meetings to hours when its convenient for people other than development attorneys to attend.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Plan Commission Endorses Waddell & Reed Design, Urges Revision to Ground Floor

The design of Waddell & Reed’s new headquarters was unanimously endorsed by the City Plan Commission Tuesday after a surprisingly brief hearing that drew no public comment despite ongoing social media angst over the building’s lack of pedestrian appeal.
Except for a 3,000 square-foot elevator lobby at 14th and Baltimore, the ground level facade is blank walls with three driveway entrances off Baltimore, 14th Street and Wyandotte. The upper floors are arranged in stacked, slightly-angled boxes.

While the designer, Burns & McDonnell, has sought to make the sidewalks adjoining the building more appealing with “urban garden” landscaping, the first floor design was slammed by the city planning staff in its report to the Commission.
“This property is located on or within a block of two major transit corridors and 70 percent of the building is dedicated to parking,” the staff report stated.

“While this parking will be available to the public during non-office hours, there’s is not enough justification for the vast over-parking of this site when more space could be dedicated to active uses.”

https://cityscenekc.com/plan-commission ... und-floor/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Waddell & Reed HQ plan gets conditional approval despite staff concerns

The project received conditional approval from the commission Tuesday, meaning that the developer must continue to work with city staff to adjust the design of the project as it continues through the planning process.
The concerns boil down to the project's deviations from the city's downtown pedestrian standards and transit-oriented development standards. That includes a lack of ground-floor retail in the building, which developers won't consider because they said Waddell & Reed wants to be the single tenant in the building.
City staff emphasized the concern on the streetscape and corridor because 14th Street serves as a connection between the Kansas City Convention Center and the Kansas City Power & Light District.

"The code requires parking garages to be screened or have ground-level retail," the report said. "In the downtown loop, staff's expectations are for ground-level retail...."

During Tuesday's meeting, Lead Planner Jamie Hickey said that city staff had offered a variety of ways for the developer to improve the streetscape but have yet to see those ideas come to fruition.

https://tinyurl.com/vnylbrs
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Traffic Permit for Duration of Construction has been filed:
Closing EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore splitting traffic in WB, closing NB parking lane of Wyandotte from 14th to approx. 200' South, and closing Baltimore from 14th to Truman but leaving access to public parking lot on the East side from Truman
PW Traffic Control Start Date: 03/01/2020
End Date: 03/31/2022
Total No. of Days From Start to End: 761
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

IBM is gone.

TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

They are really making good time so far
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I think the ground level along 14th would make a great place for office/greeting space for conventions support. Extremely accessible.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It will be interesting to see how assertive the Planning department is on this one.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They won't be. The developers will get their way.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

So, if I understand things correctly, there will be six fairly substantial buildings in or close to the center city loop in 2020:

1. Strata (please god, change that name.)
2. 3-Light
3. Hyatt House near the Peanut. Please never underestimate the power of their nacho supreme.
4. Development at 13th and Wyandotte
5. Waddell and Reed
6. 16th and Broadway.

That might be the most development since the 1980's.

Anyone heard of development with the 13th and Grand proposal? If I am not mistaken, their incentives package expires in 2020.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kenrbnj wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 pm So, if I understand things correctly, there will be six fairly substantial buildings in or close to the center city loop in 2020:

2. 3-Light
3. Hyatt House near the Peanut. Please never underestimate the power of their nacho supreme.
5. Waddell and Reed
6. 16th and Broadway.

Anyone heard of development with the 13th and Grand proposal? If I am not mistaken, their incentives package expires in 2020.
#6 on your list is still just a concept. I wouldn't think it makes 2021 at this point
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:05 pm
kenrbnj wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:46 pm So, if I understand things correctly, there will be six fairly substantial buildings in or close to the center city loop in 2020:

2. 3-Light
5. Waddell and Reed
6. 16th and Broadway.

#6 on your list is still just a concept. I wouldn't think it makes 2021 at this point
I’m not so sure about your timeline on #6. The project won’t have to go through the incentive process and requires minimal bank financing. I think it’s possible for them to make 2020 at this point. I don’t think it’s likely but it won’t take them much time to get it going once financing is set in place.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

2. 3-Light
5. Waddell and Reed
6. 16th and Broadway.

They expire in 2023 iirc. I think they just have to start construction by that date. I wonder if Copaken would build it as just apartment/hotel or let the TIF die
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:05 pm

2. 3-Light
5. Waddell and Reed
6. 16th and Broadway.

I’m not so sure about your timeline on #6. The project won’t have to go through the incentive process and requires minimal bank financing. I think it’s possible for them to make 2020 at this point. I don’t think it’s likely but it won’t take them much time to get it going once financing is set in place.
Possible, sure. Probable, not at all.

It's Copaken, they have four unbuilt concepts they're marketing downtown.

13th and Grand, 1034 Main, Board of Education and 16th and Broadway
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 am
flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:05 pm #6 on your list is still just a concept. I wouldn't think it makes 2021 at this point

Oh I thought he was referring to Allé by Mashburn Development.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 am
flyingember wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:05 pm #6 on your list is still just a concept. I wouldn't think it makes 2021 at this point

You make an excellent point. I admit, holding ones' breath for Copaken proposals is foolhardy.

To be sure, the "Strata" project was practically on life support in Q4 2019.

Your comment is sound.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo

Demolition approved for the existing structured parking facility.