OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 pm
Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:28 pm Scrap it all and start over. This entire design in unsightly. Man they are really giving the Power and Light Building the middle finger.
The design of the tower its self is unique to the area and differentiated from the "Cordish Wall" and Loews. IMHO, the only thing that needs to be scrapped are the lower 2 floors.
Agreed. Which is not asking too much and should still be doable at this point without causing too much of a problem for the design team.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 pm I like the urban garden, hell doesn't even look like a mugger can get a one up on me in that space! ;)

I understand the constant complaint that ground level of every damn building needs "retail" and "coffee shop" is always tossed out but let's face it, there's already empty retail inventory downtown. Let's maybe get that utilized first.
My comments on muggings were premised upon the architect's claim that the vegetation would obscure people's view of the blank wall. This was a dubious claim to begin with, and these renderings make it clear that it was in fact just spin from them. Nonetheless, there is still absolutely no reason why the through portion of the sidewalk should be pushed out next to the street rather than next to the building, especially given that they are removing the on-street parking. I struggle to imagine any scenario where I'd prefer to walk closer to traffic than farther from it. For that matter, I also can't understand why they've made the through portion of the sidewalk so narrow. They've added alternate paths but then deliberately obstructed them. Parklets are fine for what they are, but this one just looks like something that was thrown together quickly to look good on paper.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Still only two elevators.. 😂😂😂😂
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:34 pm Still only two elevators.. 😂😂😂😂
2 that stretch to the ground floor. Many more above.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, employees will largely be entering through the garage they seem to be saying.

Which makes the lack of street level even more bizarre. It's like they find the whole first floor an unfortunate design constraint.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

They simply need to put restaurant space along street. Just do it developers! You were planning a small cafeteria anyway. Put it along street and make it publicly accessible.

The City from this point on should require any project receiving public incentives to involve publicly accessible space within ground level of building. This should solve the isolated island development problem and create a more integrated walkable downtown.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Clearly; the property is developed to address needs of an organization, which were accustomed to a suburban setting.

The initial staffing will expect to drive in; work then make for the car door and exit at the close of business; navigating their cars South down I-35.

Anyhow, there is an effort to address streetscape, recognizing the importance of their parking garage. Credit for that. Landscape is a reasonable solution. Forcing a retail or hospitality component -- maybe a little excessive.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Is why city planners need to step up and establish requirements for public integration, especially for any project that involves public incentives. Maybe we should be pointing fingers at the City and not just W&R project team. Landscaping a wall still makes the building isolated, literally a walled garden.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Keep in mind that while the building might be designed for Waddell & Reed, when their lease is up, they will move out and new tenants will move in. Waddell & Reed are only renting. Buildings should be designed for a multi-tenant future, and to contribute to the vitality of the city they are in -- to the extent they can.

How about this. Instead of putting in that landscaping, put in narrow retail spaces, kiosks, and rent them really cheaply. The space they are designing is not going to produce revenue anyway, so why not just rent it at cost per sq. foot as an amenity?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This project will be heard at CPC tomorrow, February 4, at 9a.m.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Do we know they will move as soon as their lease is up? Do we have confirmation? I understand the premise of your point, that the design needs improvements and should be more future oriented, especially since W&R won't commit beyond 15yrs. I personally thing this is more of tax sheltering, business decision type of thing. Perhaps they would get a better deal to move back to the burbs, but I suspect that the 15yrs they are located downtown there will be even more growth, with more businesses being in the downtown core during that time. I'm optimistic that the positive momentum will continue for the next 15yrs and we'll see things spread for the core downtown to the east village, make better connection into the crossroads & crown center area, as well as north into River Market and River front. Even if they did move finding a new tenant should be easy, again if the momentum continues as it should. Hell W&R may buy their building at some point and if they do move they become a landlord or sell it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kenrbnj wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 am Clearly; the property is developed to address needs of an organization, which were accustomed to a suburban setting.

The initial staffing will expect to drive in; work then make for the car door and exit at the close of business; navigating their cars South down I-35.

Anyhow, there is an effort to address streetscape, recognizing the importance of their parking garage. Credit for that. Landscape is a reasonable solution. Forcing a retail or hospitality component -- maybe a little excessive.
It's our design standards. If you want money for your building in the form of incentives the least you could do is adhere do our design standards. That's not excessive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm Do we know they will move as soon as their lease is up? Do we have confirmation?
Past behavior is usually a good predictor of future behavior.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:22 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm Do we know they will move as soon as their lease is up? Do we have confirmation?
Past behavior is usually a good predictor of future behavior.
I think that the market forces pushing firms downtown will reduce the likely hood of WR moving to the suburbs after this lease expires. Younger recruits, and to some degree 50+ crowd, want to live and work downtown. This trend only continues to strengthen.

15 years from now we should have a much more developed mix of urban living options with condos/apartments in downtown proper and single-family living in mid-town and the east side all connected by BRT and Streetcar to the CBD.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Why does the CPC Report describe the project as:

"The proposed project is a 14-story building, 4 floors of office space over 10 stories of parking garage on the southwest end of the downtown loop."

"Applicant is proposing a 14-story building with 556,360 square feet of office space above 10 stories of parking which requires approval of the above-referenced request."
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 27703.html

How “unique” of them. It’s almost as if I just wanted access to tax money to hop the state line. I imagine that the 10 story parking garage is their attempt to save face with their suburbanite employees who are not happy about the idea of having to park more than 10 feet away from the front door
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Unanimously endorsed by City Plan Commission.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

No one attended to speak in opposition. That said, city staff were critical of the project, the neighborhood sent a comprehensive letter and hosted two meetings. It is very difficult to spend three hours (or more) on a Tuesday morning hanging out at City Hall wondering how quickly your docket item will be heard.

So, that said, we really need people to reach out to their councilmembers about this project. Give them an email or a call. These are the things that will make a difference now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Taxpayers are subsidizing 70% of the cost of the tower at 14th Street and Baltimore Avenue. That includes $35 million in local incentives, which were poured on top of $62 million in state subsidies.

For that kind of money, the people of Kansas City deserve a building that addresses their needs, as well as those of the wealthy investment counselors who will work there. Unfortunately, based on current drawings, the people’s concerns have largely been ignored.
Since taxpayers are financing 70% of the cost, taxpayers should get A LOT of say about the street-level portion of the building design.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Not just 'say', the City must have some basic 'requirements' for projects that involve incentives.

Requiring some form of publicly accessible function would be a start and would solve a lot of mistakes being made. Need to stop suburban mentality encroaching downtown/midtown. Suburban city council members also need to understand what's appropriate per all KCMO districts.

What's most sad is that too many local developers don't know better.