OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by earthling »

So still a walled garden. Fail.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean did they listen to one thing said? There is no reason for that 14th street car hole either.

Obviously just trying to wear down any opposition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:54 pm So still a walled garden. Fail.
Meeting minutes are out as well. Glad to see that CM Bunch brought up the issues we care about here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

From the traffic study:
The perimeter sidewalk does not currently provide much visual interest and amenity. There are no places for pedestrians to get out of the elements or rest along the current perimeter of the development.
Sense of security around the site is generally good. There is lighting and other pedestrians present. Options to enhance safety include adding trees and planters to provide more sense of separation from traffic.
The walkability study performed for the new development indicates the pedestrian levels of service along the perimeter of the site do not currently meet the pedestrian levels of service outlined in Kansas City’s Walkability Plan. To achieve the required levels of service, the following improvements are recommended:
• Install planters / trees to separate pedestrians from vehicular traffic and add visual interest as an amenity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is there anything this plan has gotten right so far?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"We'll fix it with trees."
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I like the urban garden, hell doesn't even look like a mugger can get a one up on me in that space! ;)

I understand the constant complaint that ground level of every damn building needs "retail" and "coffee shop" is always tossed out but let's face it, there's already empty retail inventory downtown. Let's maybe get that utilized first.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody is saying every building has to have ground level retail but our ordinances and development standards call for better than a block long blank wall. Why defend that?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 pm I like the urban garden, hell doesn't even look like a mugger can get a one up on me in that space! ;)

I understand the constant complaint that ground level of every damn building needs "retail" and "coffee shop" is always tossed out but let's face it, there's already empty retail inventory downtown. Let's maybe get that utilized first.
Transparency is the rule, not retail. Retail is the preference. And this is the corridor between the convention center and the entertainment district, not some far-flung side street.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 pm I like the urban garden, hell doesn't even look like a mugger can get a one up on me in that space! ;)

It looks like they are pretty much blocking the glass lobby wall on 14th street now. I don’t get why they can’t at least let that section of the building be transparent. I’ve seen parking garages in places like Omaha include a good enough looking fake facade. There is no reason why they couldn’t at minimum continue the facade down to street level.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Whoever is driving the ground-level design, it's as if they've not spent much time downtown at all.
They're proposing an environment that will be a gathering spot for people with no where go, to put it politely. Just walk through Oppenstein Memorial Park at 12th & Walnut to get an idea of what the proposed 14th Street would become. Without transparency, the benches and greenspace actually make the space less safe than without it. There will be no sense of policing or ownership. Does Waddell & Reed know what will be around the corner from their front door?

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Did anyone notice that their trees in the rendering will actually die? The planter size along the street is too small to let enough water in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 am Did anyone notice that their trees in the rendering will actually die? The planter size along the street is too small to let enough water in.
And that's really the focus of this design discussion.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:23 am
flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 am Did anyone notice that their trees in the rendering will actually die? The planter size along the street is too small to let enough water in.
And that's really the focus of this design discussion.
Think about what that shows. They didn't care enough about the public to even bother to put together a realistic plan for their own plan.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks like they got inspiration from the Broadway side of Bartle Hall for a sublime pedestrian experience. Just twice the trees for twice the bird poo. While I love street trees and find them necessary for a tolerable summer pedestrian experience in this climate, they are not even needed here as that sidewalk will be in almost perpetual shade from the building itself.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Scrap it all and start over. This entire design in unsightly. Man they are really giving the Power and Light Building the middle finger.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:28 pm Scrap it all and start over. This entire design in unsightly. Man they are really giving the Power and Light Building the middle finger.
The design of the tower its self is unique to the area and differentiated from the "Cordish Wall" and Loews. IMHO, the only thing that needs to be scrapped are the lower 2 floors.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 pmThe design of the tower its self is unique to the area and differentiated from the "Cordish Wall" and Loews. IMHO, the only thing that needs to be scrapped are the lower 2 floors.
Agreed. There are things I'd change with the tower's design like the blank panels on the east and west, but overall I think it makes a good contrast with the masonry P&L building and the brick President while keeping in scale. It will also make a good companion to a potential 4 Light.

Any revisions need to be focused on improving the base.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:28 pm Scrap it all and start over. This entire design in unsightly. Man they are really giving the Power and Light Building the middle finger.
Just redesign the first floor. It needs to interact better with the surroundings.

Also, this isn’t giving the finger to the Power and Light building. I’m not sure what you would like to see here, but the Power and Light building was modern at the time it was built just as the WR building will be modern for our time. It offers a good contrast between new and old. It shows progress that all cities want to show off.