OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 pm Is it just me or is this project moving extremely fast?
I think it’s a combination of moving fast and just having a solid tenant. Most of our projects take so long because they spend years figuring out the financing.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Revised plans are now available via CompassKC.

It has a couple of enhanced elevations, but is otherwise nothing much new to this board. On the 14th street side the first two 'blocks' have a metal screen on them. 14th street is still a blank black wall. I think the graphics in this document were what was shown at the meeting last night, so this doesn't have any feedback incorporated (fingers crossed that it will someday be incorporated).

EDIT: I put 'last night', I meant 'last week'

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 pm Revised plans are now available via CompassKC.

It has a couple of enhanced elevations, but is otherwise nothing much new to this board. On the 14th street side the first two 'blocks' have a metal screen on them. 14th street is still a blank black wall. I think the graphics in this document were what was shown at the meeting last night, so this doesn't have any feedback incorporated (fingers crossed that it will someday be incorporated).

KCDowntown
The drawings contradict themselves. One shows angled parking along the west side of 14th street. Another shows that being park space.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It seems that those were just thrown together.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm
gfenn11 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:29 pm Yes.
Reddit is reporting that police and fire surrounded the site after part of the building collapsed.

The case for ... never demolishing another building

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2020 ... r-building
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Development Review Committee findings available on Compass KC. This document includes comments from many different departments related to fire code, sewer capabilities, trees, etc...

Included in the document, though, are comments from the Development Management Department. Some of their findings/requests are:
  • Space available to the public on the roof, or on the southeast portion of the garage.
  • Ground floor transparency "of which there is none". Cited that 5,000 sqft could be used along 14th street if taken from the garage, while still allowing for plenty of parking
  • TOD policy requires garage be wrapped in active uses, this is not the case in this design
  • Justification for a 1,000 space garage, when there are no requirements for garage in the core, and the strictest interpretation of parking spaces would only require 500
  • TOD policy requires that garage are built for future conversion to usable space, this garage is not compliant with that.
KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Those make so much sense that I have to assume they are only advisory.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It will be frustrating if nothing changes and makes you wonder why even go through the process if nothing changes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 pm
  • TOD policy requires garage be wrapped in active uses, this is not the case in this design
  • Justification for a 1,000 space garage, when there are no requirements for garage in the core, and the strictest interpretation of parking spaces would only require 500
  • TOD policy requires that garage are built for future conversion to usable space, this garage is not compliant with that.
KCDowntown
Assuming the garage is wrapped in the tower facade, I think I care more about the garage being available for future conversion or for other users in the area than I do about it being shrunk. I think most employes will be driving into work for the first few years after this opens and starting with a massive garage will help calm those suburbanites' fears of working downtown. Once opened, The WR workforce will begin the shift to urban living and eventually the garage should either be converted to new uses or opened up to outside users (ex. 14th and Wyandotte Tower).

In the future, this garage, Strata, and others could also probably fulfill most of the demand that BAP Garage does today.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Space available to the public on the roof seems a little overreaching.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes that seemed silly and not based in much of anything.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

How exactly do you build a parking garage to where it can be converted to useable space at a later date? Considering the heights are typically around 8ft and at least some of the floor is slanted, this seems like a big challenge.

I’ve also not seen an example of someone converting a parking garage to something else, instead I just see them demolished.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

These future-proof parking garages can easily morph into offices or housing
https://www.fastcompany.com/90291136/th ... or-housing
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 am How exactly do you build a parking garage to where it can be converted to useable space at a later date? Considering the heights are typically around 8ft and at least some of the floor is slanted, this seems like a big challenge.

I’ve also not seen an example of someone converting a parking garage to something else, instead I just see them demolished.
There is a whole apartment complex in Wichita that used to be a parking garage. Sloped access ramps have to be separate from the garage floors, or if the ramps and parking are concurrent there has to be a separate section that is flat.

Or you have to market specifically to people that have one leg shorter than the other.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And newer garages can be designed specifically for another function in future, making it lower cost to convert. KC should be requiring this for any garage that gets incentives and encourage it for garages that don't.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Parking & Transportation Commission was briefed on their street/sidewalk closure proposal during construction. Closure of Baltimore and sidewalks on three sides were proposed (and we pushed back).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are closed now. Seems a bit late to brief ptc and really just a worthless formality like every other closure.

Sorry but ptc just seems not to be listened to at all.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 pm They are closed now. Seems a bit late to brief ptc and really just a worthless formality like every other closure.

Sorry but ptc just seems not to be listened to at all.
Their street closure permit included pedestrian accessibility and covered walkways. I'm a bit confused why City Planning denied multiple permit applications without these features only to not enforce any of them once it was approved.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Their street closure permit included pedestrian accessibility and covered walkways. I'm a bit confused why City Planning denied multiple permit applications without these features only to not enforce any of them once it was approved.
Money talks. If you have enough, you can probably pay to play to get your way.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Updated development plan with multiple ground floor renderings located on Compass KC.

No changes thus far to street level. As the renderings will show though, it is not just a long blank wall - it's a really nice, long blank wall.

KCDowntown