OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by Riverite »

Yes if any developers want a quick easy win, take note
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm This rendering makes it look like those walls are translucent. I bet they'll be similar to the cladding used on the Bloch Building of the Nelson.

Educated guess: the announcement stated a LEED certified building. Likely the curtain wall will either be active glass or tinted in some fashion.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would be odd if not able to see out from inside so maybe a weak translucence or tint. Will ask Collison to check into it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My only care here is floor 1. Do whatever they want up there.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:44 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 pmI give it +5 points for no tacky rooftop signage. Hopefully they are including some architectural lighting.
Agreed. Rooftop signs are glorified billboards and are especially egregious when they distract from architecture
As a counterpoint, I always enjoy visiting other cities and learning from signage what companies have presences in their respective downtowns. To me, rooftop signage serves a purpose — “Oh, I didn’t realize (insert company here) was headquartered in (insert city here)...”
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cheffreygo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 pmI give it +5 points for no tacky rooftop signage. Hopefully they are including some architectural lighting.
Agreed. Rooftop signs are glorified billboards and are especially egregious when they distract from architecture
As a counterpoint, I always enjoy visiting other cities and learning from signage what companies have presences in their respective downtowns. To me, rooftop signage serves a purpose — “Oh, I didn’t realize (insert company here) was headquartered in (insert city here)...”
I’m not against rooftop signs and generally like them. However, I haven’t been impressed by the last few we have added other than HR’s video facade.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Those aren’t translucent panels. They’re “grey limestone” duh
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

JBmidtown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 pm Those aren’t translucent panels. They’re “grey limestone” duh
Sarcasm?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

earthling wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:24 am Would be odd if not able to see out from inside so maybe a weak translucence or tint. Will ask Collison to check into it.
In the original plans released on 12/9/2019 these areas are marked as "Metal Wall Panel".

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hmm, hopefully not final decision. Metal Apple Store panels are so last decade, probably won't look good that large and baffling they would kill so much of the natural lighting and view from inside. TLG's Nelson-Atkins style translucence panels is a great idea and they could do some creative night time lighting. Or vertical windows in those panels if anything. If anyone wants to photoshop in some vertical windows into the panels I'll send to them with any other other ideas (and link to this thread). Streetscaping ideas too.
Last edited by earthling on Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Cheffreygo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm
If we look at the old pictures of downtown from the "3o"s, "40"s and "50"s, street signs as well as Neon signs of all shape and size are everywhere. I say bring them all back and work to make our Downtown a 24-hour city!!! I love rooftop signs while visiting other cities too.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm
JBmidtown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 pm Those aren’t translucent panels. They’re “grey limestone” duh
Sarcasm?
Of course
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

JBmidtown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:17 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm
Sarcasm?
Of course
Had me worried for a moment
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kenrbnj wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm This rendering makes it look like those walls are translucent. I bet they'll be similar to the cladding used on the Bloch Building of the Nelson.

Educated guess: the announcement stated a LEED certified building. Likely the curtain wall will either be active glass or tinted in some fashion.
4 Light will block this entire side of the building within 5 years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm My only care here is floor 1. Do whatever they want up there.
I'll be sending them an email with my spiel about isolated island projects vs integrating with street, contiguous pedestrian flow etc along with link to this thread. Would be good to see better renderings at street level so we can provide better feedback.

This is the time to provide feedback, before they commit to final design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:08 pm My only care here is floor 1. Do whatever they want up there.
I'll be sending them an email with my spiel about isolated island projects vs integrating with street, contiguous pedestrian flow etc along with link to this thread. Would be good to see better renderings at street level so we can provide better feedback.

This is the time to provide feedback, before they commit to final design.
Try to make it to tomorrow’s public meeting if you have feedback on the design.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have been in Florida doing the digital nomad/hobo with a laptop thing all winter. LA next. Missing KC, but not the weather. Hopefully others here can show up and provide feedback discussed here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Don't forget to send comments to city planning, who is the final arbiter of the ground floor design: https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... evelopment
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is planning@kcmo.org the best way to send in feedback?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03 am Two elevators and a dedicated freight elevator could possibly work, but If no dedicated freight elevator, that would be a nightmare.
there will be a sky lobby and additional elevators above the ground floor image we were shown.