OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Post by alejandro46 »

With this increased development and future taxes down the line, it's just one more big name that is going to be in favor of building a cap over the 670 loop.

If that would occur, their property values would go from 'highway drone' to Central Park adjacent.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Judging from the design of the building, I wouldn't bank on them valuing high quality urban space like the one in that rendering.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm Also, not to nitpick KSHB (thank you so much for the coverage if you're out there), but these are not leaked images. These are the development plan submitted to KCMO. This is public record.
Proves they didn't get them from permits, they got them from here!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:01 pm Also, not to nitpick KSHB (thank you so much for the coverage if you're out there), but these are not leaked images. These are the development plan submitted to KCMO. This is public record.
Most developers are not ready for the public to see the drawings/plans this early because it's rarely the final concept. Even though the public has access, they don't think of it as public at this point. I know Cordish was upset when some very early plans of 3 Light went public on here and some other locations. Obviously, they'd like to control the release of any new images or plans.

I'm glad we have some development detectives on here, because I'm always anxious to see the plans.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Editor's Briefing: What makes Waddell & Reed worth $100M in incentives?

https://tinyurl.com/sobb59u
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 am Editor's Briefing: What makes Waddell & Reed worth $100M in incentives?

https://tinyurl.com/sobb59u
I don't really question this evaluation of the process. I agree this is a good project. But I think we need to make sure we get the most bang for our collective buck and a high-quality building with significant active street frontage is essential to maximize our civic ROI.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm
KCDowntown wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:52 pm The development plan permit for the Waddell & Reed HQ went into Compass today. Unfortunately, no attachments or rendering yet...

KCDowntown
Attachments have been added to this permit, including some preliminary plans.

KCDowntown
Looks like they paid the permit fees today for the development plan. Traffic Control Permit for demolition was issued today as well.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why is there so much backlash on this now? I am seeing all kind of negativity on this project and how more money should be used for schools. I don't understand that argument because its not like Wadell and Reed is currently in the city so if W&R bails there is still no money for schools
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 pm Why is there so much backlash on this now? I am seeing all kind of negativity on this project and how more money should be used for schools. I don't understand that argument because its not like Wadell and Reed is currently in the city so if W&R bails there is still no money for schools
I ask the same question. Long-winded baloney coming..

I'll venture a guess: Members of this forum are aligned to me: I guess we all wanted a 35+ story tower to rival Town Pavilion and One KC Place. Soon. W&R did promote (no: "Hype" is a better word..) ..Maybe they set expectations too high. Etc.

The Grand Picture?

Downtown will soon be enhanced with:

A new, 270' hotel
A 350' mixed-use residential building
This 270' office building
This Strata thing - which will be > 300'
The building at 12th and Wyandotte
A new, 150' (or so) Hyatt House on Broadway.

..And may soon get:
a Mixed use development near Denny's -- which should have been knocked-down decades ago, for lack of good taste.
Another Class-A building discussed at 13-14 & Grand

The fact KC-land is building a new airport.. ..it cannot be understated how important this fact is. Ramifications are far more profound than what's acknowledged here.

Things are happening.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't really care about a 35 story tower (count me among those who thinks we could actually put in a height limit and spread some medium-density around the loop, but I digress). My concern with the W&R project is that it is mostly garage (three entrances! Town Pavilion has one) and has ZERO interaction with its surroundings at street level. This is unacceptable for any project downtown, but particularly for one receiving significant incentives. That's my beef. I want the jobs, I want the spending, but not if it means a generation of missed opportunity getting the neighborhood right.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd rather have 4-6 story buildings as far as the eye can see connected by streetcar than some Dubai or Vegas shit where there are a reasonably impressive number of large towers but the street level experience is a complete sewer of massive parking structures, surface lots, and road infrastructure.

Not that there isn't middle ground. But I just got back from my first trip to Vegas and HURLLLL.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

mean wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:10 pm I'd rather have 4-6 story buildings as far as the eye can see connected by streetcar than some Dubai or Vegas shit where there are a reasonably impressive number of large towers but the street level experience is a complete sewer of massive parking structures, surface lots, and road infrastructure.
Agree. Remove all the dead zones and surface lots!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm My concern with the W&R project is that it is mostly garage (three entrances! Town Pavilion has one)
Town Pavillion has two garages, one underneath with one entrance and the one connected to 1201 Walnut with five entrances. So they have six entrances on five blocks
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:38 pm
smh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm My concern with the W&R project is that it is mostly garage (three entrances! Town Pavilion has one)
Town Pavillion has two garages, one underneath with one entrance and the one connected to 1201 Walnut with five entrances. So they have six entrances on five blocks
So an average of 1.2 per block. The prosecution rests.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:52 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:38 pm
So an average of 1.2 per block. The prosecution rests.
6 in 8 is exactly the same as 3 in four 4. They're building to the same scale as other projects.

I'm not saying it can't be better, but Town Pavillion is more impactful than their plans.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Amended and held for 1 week.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Twitter says the abatement was reduced and a request for public parking added.

Agree with reducing the abatement, but man, lack of public parking is really not the issue with this building as has been stated above. Fix the design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:55 pm Twitter says the abatement was reduced and a request for public parking added.

Agree with reducing the abatement, but man, lack of public parking is really not the issue with this building as has been stated above. Fix the design.
My experience is that the weekend events are more well attended by car tripers than weekday ones are at the convention center.

Making the WR ~950 space garage open on weekends pretty much single handily replaces BAP garage. This and Strata adds ~1600 spaces to public (convention center) supply during weekends. Both are about a 2 block walk from BAP and are actually closer to some aspects of the convention center than BAP is. Strata and WR are closer to Sprint Center. WR is closer to the Ballroom and Kauffman Center. Both are closer to the streetcar and the hotels popping up along it.

The WR Tower design is being changed to improve the ground level experience.

I think that both Loews and WR are probably over building on parking. My hope is that they then lease out extra spaces to surrounding new developments. Ex( WR to Hotel Bravicci.)
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I feel like W&R wants a big tall grandiose tower DT with a lighted sign but don’t have the employees to fill it so they’re loading up the levels of parking to try and build height. Why do all these companies have to have dedicated standalone towers? Have two elevator bays and partner with another midsize company. Or, build several more floors of office and rent them out.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:13 pm Making the WR ~950 space garage open on weekends pretty much single handily replaces BAP garage. This and Strata adds ~1600 spaces to public (convention center) supply during weekends. Both are about a 2 block walk from BAP and are actually closer to some aspects of the convention center than BAP is. Strata and WR are closer to Sprint Center. WR is closer to the Ballroom and Kauffman Center. Both are closer to the streetcar and the hotels popping up along it.
This seems like too good of an idea to ever happen.