OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 pm I've asked before but never get an answer. Anybody know if companies.csn post attachments but not have them publicly visible? If so who decided if that is allowed?
I would guess not. Think permits/inspections are public documents.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

nickyrosstheboss wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:29 pm Well the anticipation better be worth it! "skyline changing"
I may be wrong, but I believe the 'skyline changing' wording has been changed to something a little less impressive.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Dang! lol

They are being very secretive about this.....but for what?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I think it's either going to end up being very unique and special, for a low rise building. That's why the secrecy exists.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My expectations are very low. Expecting a utilitarian looking building. Anything better would then exceed my expectations. :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:14 pm My expectations are very low. Expecting a utilitarian looking building. Anything better would then exceed my expectations. :)
The rents are extremely high. If the building looked bland, then I would expect great materials and a a cool interior. The money has to be going somewhere.
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

crossing my fingers, eyes and toes!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 pm I've asked before but never get an answer. Anybody know if companies.csn post attachments but not have them publicly visible? If so who decided if that is allowed?
This is the project description for that permit.
CONFIDENTIAL - New office building over structured parking
Planning already completed the quality control review today so there is either a secondary way to share documents or a way to keep them private/delay their upload.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not fair!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:52 pm The development plan permit for the Waddell & Reed HQ went into Compass today. Unfortunately, no attachments or rendering yet...

KCDowntown
Attachments have been added to this permit, including some preliminary plans.

KCDowntown
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Three driveways proposed one on each street frontage, plus an alley loading dock.

Looks to be 8 floors of office. slightly greater than 200ft tall altogether including parking structure. More than 50% of the building is parking.

There are no ground floor uses other than an office lobby. Most of the ground floor is a blank wall.

These are just my quick observations from the plan.
Last edited by smh on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

The proposal released for Broadway today is more exciting than this. Still nice infill minus the 100 driveways.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

260' tall according to the plan sheet.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that building has to get better.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Is this a joke?
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

I'm not laughing......but I am crying hahaha
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This project continues to be a letdown. They could have been a primary tenant to easily get a major skyscraper built over by the Sprint Center that would have not only changed the skyline, but came with an additional 500,000 sq ft of prime class A office space that would have likely been filled up quickly with new companies to downtown.

KC just can't seem to get things right when it comes to companies and how they interact with downtown. At least this one is coming downtown I guess, but they are bringing a heavy dose of JoCo culture with them it seems. With the amount of incentive being given here, the city should have more say in what gets built. But then again, look at the Cerner development...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 pm This project continues to be a letdown. They could have been a primary tenant to easily get a major skyscraper built over by the Sprint Center that would have not only changed the skyline, but came with an additional 500,000 sq ft of prime class A office space that would have likely been filled up quickly with new companies to downtown.

KC just can't seem to get things right when it comes to companies and how they interact with downtown. At least this one is coming downtown I guess, but they are bringing a heavy dose of JoCo culture with them it seems. With the amount of incentive being given here, the city should have more say in what gets built. But then again, look at the Cerner development...

It's capitalism, this is exactly what getting it right looks like. The city doesn't tell a land owner what deals they can make.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:10 pm Is this a joke?
It had been my understanding that WR sent B&M back to the drawing board as this design doesn’t interact well with the surrounding area. However, this plan set is dated 12/6/19.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 pm This project continues to be a letdown. They could have been a primary tenant to easily get a major skyscraper built over by the Sprint Center that would have not only changed the skyline, but came with an additional 500,000 sq ft of prime class A office space that would have likely been filled up quickly with new companies to downtown.

It's capitalism, this is exactly what getting it right looks like. The city doesn't tell a land owner what deals they can make.
I was only saying that W&R could have been a part of a much more impactful project. A project like new large tower. Large towers just don't go up easily and with a signed tenant of that size, you can actually get a major tower up that would have included a lot of extra office space for additional employees, plus probably a mixed use component. I understand the city can't control where companies want to office though.

However, the city can deny incentives if the project is not designed well enough to deserve them. The Cerner development is a classic example of this. What is the city getting out of that? Nothing. The city will actually lose money on the Cerner deal. It would have been better off if Cerner went to JOCo and 40-50% of the employees working there at least paid the E-tax. The numbers for Cerner are terrible for what the city got (a walled off private office park and a parking lot bigger than the Truman sports complex.)

W&R is getting some ridiculous incentives here. All they are doing is taking the money and pocketing as much as possible. That's why those chose this location as it's owned by a party with interest in the company.

It's ridiculous that you have to pay a company over a hundred million dollars to move downtown and they still can't put up a decent structure.