1532 Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 1532 Grand

Post by grovester »

Dined at the Belfry and inquired about the addition.

Belfry sold the building, new owners and Belfry to collaborate on restaurant in the old Collection space.

1 floor of offices, single tenant space, with residential above.

Full basement may be utilized for another business, but may just go to tenant storage or even parking.

Also the chicken & biscuit is fantastic.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Four New Residential Floors Planned Atop Existing Building on Grand

https://cityscenekc.com/four-new-reside ... -on-grand/
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Was reviewing the permitting on this project and noticed that the City Plan Commission, recommended adding a cornice to the top of this building. No idea whether they'll do it, and no updated renderings were available.

CPC Staff Report is available at this location.

KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 am Was reviewing the permitting on this project and noticed that the City Plan Commission, recommended adding a cornice to the top of this building. No idea whether they'll do it, and no updated renderings were available.

CPC Staff Report is available at this location.

KCDowntown
This is exciting: The north building elevation has been intentionally left blank and free of any window so that in the future should the parking lot to the north redevelop, the buildings could have a shared/abutting structural walls that is compliant with the Building and Fire Codes. (see north elevation below)
“Public engagement as required by Section 88-505-12 does not apply to this request because it was filed prior to October 1, 2019.”
What exactly is Section 88-505-12 ? Does that require all projects to have a public meeting - and thus why WR is having one?

Edit: Yes, a new ordinance requires most projects to have a public enagment meeting.

Zoning Map Amendments, including Urban Redevelopment Districts, Master Planned Developments, Development Plan Approvals. UR Preliminary Development Plans and Preliminary Development Plans. Special Use Permits. Preliminary Plats

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... 0RwQOo9QAc
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

ate on the patio earlier this week at the belfry. there is noticeably construction going on in the old collection space fronting grand. i asked, and apparently there's also a lot of work going on in the basement, but the vertical expansion at least for now is not happening. apparently covid materially impacted the value proposition of going through with it.

whether that's a direct impact (projections of rent and/or purchase price for units), indirect impact (developer/owner feeling the crunch of reduced cashflow from other operations), or a combination of both, i don't know. but a huge bummer. i was very excited about this project.

the belfry is now on reduced hours (no mondays), but is still at the top of my list personally. still have the menu, still have the occasional special items, still getting some interesting/ low production beers and putting them on tap. will usually set up a table for you outside if it's not miserable out. not a bad consolation prize for anyone who tries but fails to secure a spot on the tannin patio now that it's getting nice out again.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am will usually set up a table for you outside if it's not miserable out. not a bad consolation prize for anyone who tries but fails to secure a spot on the tannin patio now that it's getting nice out again.
Thanks for the reminder. We were almost in this boat Tuesday, but finally got in on the patio at Tannin.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

action ongoing to renovate multiple spaces in the existing building (i.e. still not expanding upward). expect a pool hall fronting grand (likely piggybacking off the belfry's kitchen) and probably something new in the basement, too.

i am a big fan of this place to the point that i perhaps can't be rational about it, but since darius came on board the desserts in particular have been phenomenal. check for the off-menu special. friday's was fried green tomato pie with sweet corn ice cream and pickled blackberry. it was outstanding.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am wondering how disruptive expanding upward will be to existing tenants, or will they end leases and let the building be vacant during any future construction phase?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Crossroads will have three pool halls?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

what's the third, that dive bar on washington?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

^ That's Westside!