OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Wallstreet Tower ( was:US Bank Tower going condo)

Post by KCDowntown »

Couldn't find a better place for this...

In the Walstreet Tower garage two permits for a bar/tavern in the spaces between the garage entrance and Check N Go.

Permit #1
Permit #2

KCDowntown
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Good news.  Anyone with inside info?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its the same guy that's doing Qudos Cigar Bar

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 17#p305117
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

They've been working pretty consistently on this place for several weeks now.  The front is now covered in tarps and the sign just went up today, I think: Qudos.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Angel wrote: They've been working pretty consistently on this place for several weeks now.  The front is now covered in tarps and the sign just went up today, I think: Qudos.
hooray! this stretch needs a real boost. azul is still hanging on, albeit only thursday-saturday for dinner. maybe they could afford valet if they share?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: hooray! this stretch needs a real boost. azul is still hanging on, albeit only thursday-saturday for dinner. maybe they could afford valet if they share?
Aren't they located at the base of 10+ floor parking garge? WS can't arrange any parking for them?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: Aren't they located at the base of 10+ floor parking garge? WS can't arrange any parking for them?
it was going to cost them $10 per car, plus the price to hire a valet. they have squeezed their over to zero just to stay open, so they obviously couldn't afford to eat that (and no one charges that much for valet in this town).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: it was going to cost them $10 per car, plus the price to hire a valet. they have squeezed their over to zero just to stay open, so they obviously couldn't afford to eat that (and no one charges that much for valet in this town).
That's lame. Those WS Tower people sound like a total douche troop from everything posted on this forum.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

can't you park for $2 in the p+l garage a block away and just walk up to azul if you want to?  there is also a plentitude of free street parking within 1-3 blocks of there.  if azul is failing, it isn't because of parking.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: can't you park for $2 in the p+l garage a block away and just walk up to azul if you want to?  there is also a plentitude of free street parking within 1-3 blocks of there.  if azul is failing, it isn't because of parking.
People here aren't that smart or resourceful in urban environments.

Every establishment must have an attached parking garage or surface lot to survive in this city.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote: Every establishment must have an attached parking garage or surface lot to survive in this city.
By this city, do you mean Lawrence?
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

trailerkid wrote: That's lame. Those WS Tower people sound like a total douche troop from everything posted on this forum.
Typical response from Trailerkid.  

The garage that is open to the public is not owned by Wallstreet Tower.  The part of the garage that is owned by Wallstreet Tower (5th floor and up) is owned by WST residents and is reserved for individual units.  I know it a revolutionary idea, but just becuase someone lives downtown  and has a parking garage, they are no less protective of their property and expect to come home to their parking spot, not someone elses car in their parking spot.  I think this is pretty standard across all walks of life, urban, suburban, rural, etc...

Standard parking owns the garage (public portion), and I think that they are not in the business of providing free parking.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: People here aren't that smart or resourceful in urban environments.

Every establishment must have an attached parking garage or surface lot to survive in this city.
let's also not forget the multiple bus stops within feet of the restaurant. 

Azul is very easy to get to.  sadly, people are just choosing not to, for whatever reason.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kuslamb wrote: Typical response from Trailerkid.  

The garage that is open to the public is not owned by Wallstreet Tower.  The part of the garage that is owned by Wallstreet Tower (5th floor and up) is owned by WST residents and is reserved for individual units.  I know it a revolutionary idea, but just becuase someone lives downtown  and has a parking garage, they are no less protective of their property and expect to come home to their parking spot, not someone elses car in their parking spot.  I think this is pretty standard across all walks of life, urban, suburban, rural, etc...

Standard parking owns the garage (public portion), and I think that they are not in the business of providing free parking.
I guess it's just lame that if you locate at the bottom of some faceless, massive monument to parking-- it seems like some of those hundreds of empty spaces should be available to your customers. Who exactly is the parking for? 

I always heard the WS Tower people were total douche bags. Sorry if that offended you or your coworkers. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: I always heard the WS Tower people were total douche bags. Sorry if that offended you or your coworkers. 
i assume you're talking about the people who own and operate the building, not the people who live there?  there has been plenty of discussion on here about the management, but i would think the residents are upstanding downtowners.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: Azul is very easy to get to.  sadly, people are just choosing not to, for whatever reason.
I think they could do with more noticeable signage.  The glowing blue entrance is cool and all, but there is very little about it to suggest it is a restaurant.  If I was an out of towner/suburbanite passing by on my way to an event at the sprint center, trying to find a place to grab a pre-show dinner - I would probably jump to the conclusion that it was more of a night club than a restaurant.  And with that location, I would think you would really want to be accessible to that audience.  
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

trailerkid wrote: Who exactly is the parking for?   
The first 5 floors of spaces are leased monthly and the last I heard, they were pretty much at capacity.  Otherwise, anyone is welcome to park in the garage.  But they'll have to pay just like any other garage downtown.  The P+L garage a block away would probably be a better deal for only $2.  Or the dozens of free spaces on the street at night.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Azul is dead and gone. Saturday night was their last night. Shame, though I'm not surprised.

How exactly is Qudos going to be a cigar bar, seeing as KC has the smoking ban now? Confuses me...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote: Azul is dead and gone. Saturday night was their last night.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!  :cry:

damn you, kansas city, for not supporting this place!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but walking by the ugliness again tonight after dozens, maybe hundreds of times, finally pushed me far enough to have to ask:

Are the owners of this building EVER going to do anything about the damaged/unstable glass fence around the lower level, or are plywood panels and yellow caution tape going to remain a permanent part of the Walnut streetscape?