1822 Main Redevlopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 1822 Main Redevlopment

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm Historic KC is asking to put bank on register and calling for bank bldng to be preserved.
Won't happen if the owner isn't interested -- someone has to pay for the study. See the Plaza church example (and many others). National Register listing doesn't prevent demolition.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shame.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Local historic register listing slows demo way down. Natl register listing does the same if federal $ is involved, btw.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That’s if the rehab has already taken place. Simply listing it nationally gives the building owner access to funding if they choose to rehab the building in a historically appropriate way. Unless work has been done the owner can do whatever they want with the building.

Local register is the opposite: strict rules about rehab and no access to funds. It’s a remarkably dumb option for a property owner to voluntarily pursue, unless they enjoy going to the Landmarks Commission every time they want to change a light bulb.

As David mentioned, HKC can’t force a property into being listed. They will almost certainly try and have Shields hold it in committee indefinitely if it gets that far.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Any updates at the Port KC meeting today?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 pm Any updates at the Port KC meeting today?
I wasn't there and I haven't seen the minutes, but I'm gonna guess it was approved.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

My updated interpretation of the 1 conceptual rendering. Would you guys like to see this done with any other proposed projects?

Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Nice work! You can get a sense of the scale. What are the buildings you show to the north? It's only a one story neighbor.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am Nice work! You can get a sense of the scale. What are the buildings you show to the north? It's only a one story neighbor.
The scale is completely off to the point you can't get a sense of it. There's an existing three story building drawn as shorter than an existing one story building. There's two buildings drawn as three. This building is drawn as wider than it's neighbors to the north which is actually a wider parcel
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am Nice work! You can get a sense of the scale. What are the buildings you show to the north? It's only a one story neighbor.
The scale is completely off to the point you can't get a sense of it. There's an existing three story building drawn as shorter than an existing one story building. There's two buildings drawn as three. This building is drawn as wider than it's neighbors to the north which is actually a wider parcel
I’m trying to redo the drawing with a better scale for the surrounding buildings - it’s currently just whatever came off of open street
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Updates?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Advance KC document located here indicates this will be a 4 story office building atop a 4 story parking pedestal with ground floor retail. 50,000 sqft of office space - 13,000 sqft rented to a law firm, the rest spec. Existing buildings at the site will be razed.

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good to hear it will have ground level retail. Hopefully the garage entrance doesn't face Main. If they get incentives, the City should require public shared usage for garage.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Anyone happen to have any updates on this project, I haven’t been able to find anything about it anywhere
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am Anyone happen to have any updates on this project, I haven’t been able to find anything about it anywhere
Haven't heard a peep. I suspect the incentive request fell on deaf ears.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am Anyone happen to have any updates on this project, I haven’t been able to find anything about it anywhere
Haven't heard a peep. I suspect the incentive request fell on deaf ears.
Property is up for $1.9 million.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ Maybe a new developer will come in and incorporate the old building into a new structure
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Good idea but tough to do at that acquisition price. Not enough SF in the existing building(s) to pay that price, I would think.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

At the very least the facade could be saved and incorporated in-place into the exterior of a larger building built behind it. It is handsome and unique. I would think it would add value/character which you couldn't buy with modern construction materials and methods.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Facadectomies are better than nothing