Tracks 215 Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Tracks 215 Project

Post by normalthings »

more renderings

Last edited by normalthings on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Is the highrise still planned for this.. or no?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:56 am Is the highrise still planned for this.. or no?
no its been dead for a very lomg time
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:26 pm Image
This was literally the only thing exciting about this project. I'll pass on the new cookie cutter apartment box. Yuck.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

It looks like a turd with windows. 💩
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:01 am
langosta wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:26 pm Image
This was literally the only thing exciting about this project. I'll pass on the new cookie cutter apartment box. Yuck.
I’m a bit confused. I don’t think that tall design has been since 2019? I’m like 99% sure some variation of the short design has been with us for a year+ now.

As for the color, this building will be predominantly rust/red colored. Goal is to give the building an industrial look to fit the neighborhood.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Didn’t realize this lost the vertical aspect of the design. That’s a shame as what they have now is dull & boring, offering zero to the neighborhood. They would be better off renovating any existing structures & going from there, assuming there are any to renovate. My fault for not keeping up with this but very disappointed & underwhelmed. But it’s not my money....🤷🏼‍♂️
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Housing is housing, so you’re not allowed to criticize the design. Or do you want it to stay a surface lot???? /s
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 am Housing is housing, so you’re not allowed to criticize the design. Or do you want it to stay a surface lot???? /s
I’ll take this as satire my good sir. But in case it is not please consider this retort. “I’ll criticize what I want” (lol).

But honestly the design is terrible. It looks akin to late 60’s or 1970 Urban Housing Projects. I’m sure it will have better external materials curb appeal but not by much. Just an uninspired shoebox with windows. They had a chance to make it something unique and now it’s just something. Oh well it is what is and will still have a positive impact as it will allow for even more ppl to live downtown & continue to fuel the momentum downtown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Private grading permit filed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:25 pm Private grading permit filed
New neighborhood name?

Project Name:The Tracks Apartments at The Old Milwaukee Yard

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... =moreinfo
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I agree with the earlier comments here...the design and color suck. Wow, it looks like a turd. And usually one of these "better than nothing" people but it might better with nothing.

Unless the legends of kcrag like Fang and Flyingmember convince me otherwise, I'd probably just rather wait for something else.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:09 pm I agree with the earlier comments here...the design and color suck. Wow, it looks like a turd. And usually one of these "better than nothing" people but it might better with nothing.

Unless the legends of kcrag like Fang and Flyingmember convince me otherwise, I'd probably just rather wait for something else.
Street Level: best of any new construction downtown. Better than most of the existing buildings in that area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:09 pm I agree with the earlier comments here...the design and color suck. Wow, it looks like a turd. And usually one of these "better than nothing" people but it might better with nothing.

there's one good thing about buildings, they never look like the renderings. you have to wait and see the final building to make an honest assessment. I will never say you have to like a building, but you're premature to be so strong in your opinion

The color in the picture will not be the final apparent color on the street. There's one rendering with flat panels that says fiber cement. The texture will show shadows and the shadows will be darker, changing the color into a texture. The same with the natural texture of bricks. Light isn't uniform in the environment so those shadows will change throughout the year.

Beyond sun vs cloudy items reflect light. If light bounces off blue glass the building appears slightly more blue.

The best example is One KC Place where it's color changes throughout the day if it has direct sunlight on the face or not.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

i think this is fine and should go well in the area. I will agree that the renderings and reality are very different, both to the positive and negative. I look at the Lowes Convention Hotel. That is the ugliest building in all of downtown and the crossroads and it is brand new. The design is solid and it is really nice inside. But whoever said lets but some limestone shaded vertical lines up the entire thing must have been drinking. I mean it looks like a cookie cutter suburban office park building with a little flare on one piece of the roof line. Now maybe I'm being unfair because it's location next to some more stunning pieces of architecture in the art deco P&L building and modern performing arts center. But it is a real swing and miss given the renderings we had, which admittedly were watered down from earlier ideas from Hyatt and such. But still the finished project is blah. Which again is a real shame because inside it is so much better. Oh well
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm i think this is fine and should go well in the area. I will agree that the renderings and reality are very different, both to the positive and negative. I look at the Lowes Convention Hotel. That is the ugliest building in all of downtown and the crossroads and it is brand new. The design is solid and it is really nice inside. But whoever said lets but some limestone shaded vertical lines up the entire thing must have been drinking. I mean it looks like a cookie cutter suburban office park building with a little flare on one piece of the roof line. Now maybe I'm being unfair because it's location next to some more stunning pieces of architecture in the art deco P&L building and modern performing arts center. But it is a real swing and miss given the renderings we had, which admittedly were watered down from earlier ideas from Hyatt and such. But still the finished project is blah. Which again is a real shame because inside it is so much better. Oh well
There's a lot of buildings that look better with age. Boring limestone panels might gain patina from dirt, they might fade with sunlight or maybe they gain micro cracks and get a better texture. Imagine the results of thousands of people rubbing their hands and increasing the shine ever slightly at ground level.

The Statue of Liberty was of course going to change colors but it's the best example of color changing materials impacting the design. Imagine someone saying they hating the color in the second year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/h ... _libertys/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:23 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm i think this is fine and should go well in the area. I will agree that the renderings and reality are very different, both to the positive and negative. I look at the Lowes Convention Hotel. That is the ugliest building in all of downtown and the crossroads and it is brand new. The design is solid and it is really nice inside. But whoever said lets but some limestone shaded vertical lines up the entire thing must have been drinking. I mean it looks like a cookie cutter suburban office park building with a little flare on one piece of the roof line. Now maybe I'm being unfair because it's location next to some more stunning pieces of architecture in the art deco P&L building and modern performing arts center. But it is a real swing and miss given the renderings we had, which admittedly were watered down from earlier ideas from Hyatt and such. But still the finished project is blah. Which again is a real shame because inside it is so much better. Oh well
There's a lot of buildings that look better with age. Boring limestone panels might gain patina from dirt, they might fade with sunlight or maybe they gain micro cracks and get a better texture. Imagine the results of thousands of people rubbing their hands and increasing the shine ever slightly at ground level.

The Statue of Liberty was of course going to change colors but it's the best example of color changing materials impacting the design. Imagine someone saying they hating the color in the second year.

Perhaps, but just looking at the building as a whole it seems like a huge miss, with its almost disconnected feel. Like some was reading the plans and then said “oops, that’s not supposed to go there. Oh well it’s done now” 😀
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 pm

Perhaps, but just looking at the building as a whole it seems like a huge miss, with its almost disconnected feel. Like some was reading the plans and then said “oops, that’s not supposed to go there. Oh well it’s done now” 😀
I bet if we want back to 1880 that the same commentary was given on (remaining) buildings that no one cares what they look like today and often enjoy looking at.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:19 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 pm

I bet if we want back to 1880 that the same commentary was given on (remaining) buildings that no one cares what they look like today and often enjoy looking at.
Perhaps you are correct, but IMHO, an opportunity was missed to build a more modern and architecturally distinct property in the downtown area, rather than what appears to be a very cookie cutter suburban office park type of building. I get that costs and such dictate design, as well as any zoning rules, etc. Not to say it is a bad building or anything, just dull. Perhaps there will be other building to pop up downtown and in cross roads that will be a bit more unique. I know that Strata looks neat, and the office project proposed for the corner of 14th and Wyandotte (by BAP) both are unique modern looking building. The Wadell and Reed building is a little odd but interesting to look at. I hope those type of trends continue to dot our skyline, and that we see some more vertical buildings pop up here an there. Not 60-80 stores but maybe 30-40 within downtown and some 20-25 places in crossroads. Just to add some interesting vertical elements