Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by Walker »

kas1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:00 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 amThis projects will pay tens of millions into the taxing jurisdictions that would otherwise not exist.
This argument continues to make no sense to me. Tens of millions of tax revenue means hundreds of millions of dollars of spending. If this hotel can attract visitors who dump hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy, then why does it need the city to subsidize 1/3 of its cost? Shouldn't the hotel just be printing money under these circumstances? The premise of the argument is that there exists a huge number of globetrotters who refuse to stay in anything other than a five-star hotel who would love to visit Kansas City but for the fact that it has no hotel that's swanky enough for them. Why would these people not be willing to pay the same amount for their hotel room here as they do in every other city they visit?
The developer published their calculations in 2019 or 2020. IIRC, the tax revenue number is mostly from a PILOT and the unabated portion of property taxes. I don't think they were pitching it as a sales tax benefit (which wouldn't go to the library or schools anyways).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

If nothing else, this debate brings the rather embarrassing fact that the KC region does not have a Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc. back into the spotlight. Not necessarily implying that incentives should be necessary here or couldn't be used more effectively elsewhere (if they were a zero-sum game), but the need or at least desire for a top-flight luxury hotel is real, and it would be great to locate this downtown vs. Plaza or burb.

Random tangent - the empty lots around the PAC look terrible. Such potential. Really wish UMKC had been able to re-group after Grietens shot down the last proposal for the Conservatory campus. Hope to see some movement here sooner than later, whether Hotel Bravo or something else entirely.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think UMKC decided to keep the conservatory project on their campus.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; article in the kansascity star today about the costs of this project going up. Don't have subscription access to the star so not sure if it had any updates or details that would shed light on what might happen with this project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LCDSI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:26 pm fyi; article in the kansascity star today about the costs of this project going up. Don't have subscription access to the star so not sure if it had any updates or details that would shed light on what might happen with this project.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 27728.html
The producer price index for construction materials has increased 26 percent since the luxury hotel first became public, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank in St. Louis.
Not much new to report.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Developer says Hotel Bravo will go for $240 on average a night. By comparison playing around with different dates, your average downtown Holiday Inn in Nashville is charging $300+ this fall.

Four Seasons STL was charging $350 to get in the door last winter (during pandemic).
Last edited by normalthings on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’m currently inside a holiday inn in downtown NYC and even the prices here are nowhere near that. Nashville must have luxurious holiday inns then!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 pm
LCDSI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:26 pm fyi; article in the kansascity star today about the costs of this project going up. Don't have subscription access to the star so not sure if it had any updates or details that would shed light on what might happen with this project.
The producer price index for construction materials has increased 26 percent since the luxury hotel first became public, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank in St. Louis.
Not much new to report.
The developer didn’t get the Star on board, it’s written to make them look disorganized.

They admitted they didn’t know the current cost so it’s not a wrong point to make.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Article claimed NPC appearance on 23rd of June. Does not look like it made the agenda for this week
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 pm
Not much new to report.
The developer didn’t get the Star on board, it’s written to make them look disorganized.

They admitted they didn’t know the current cost so it’s not a wrong point to make.
Agreed. It doesn't make much sense to get it re-priced at this point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

HB will be operated by Hyatt's Two Roads. Two Roads markets five of its own brands: Joie de Vivre, Thompson Hotels, Destination Hotels, tommie and Alila Hotels & Resorts. I lean towards Thompson being the flag of choice

Thompson Nashville

La Terrenea in LA

Joie de Vivre in Palo Alto

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 pm
La Terrenea in LA
This is one of the fanciest resorts in the country. It's the kind of place that people who earn millions host their conventions for other equally rich people.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is confusing. So this is still happening?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Oh and hotels are EXPENSIVE as hell right now. They have been all summer. $240 a night is nothing for a hotel this year anyway. We have stayed in probably 2 dozen hotels around the country this summer and I am constantly looking at prices. It's not uncommon for mid range hotel rooms to hit 500-600 a night in many markets, especially on weekends, but 250-400 is very common for nice mid range downtown hotels.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:18 pm This is confusing. So this is still happening?
Not dead.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

But it should be, at least as an incentives request.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:59 pm But it should be, at least as an incentives request.
Could they make payments in lieu of taxes to help? I'll admit to not knowing what's going on.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:26 pm Oh and hotels are EXPENSIVE as hell right now. They have been all summer. $240 a night is nothing for a hotel this year anyway. We have stayed in probably 2 dozen hotels around the country this summer and I am constantly looking at prices. It's not uncommon for mid range hotel rooms to hit 500-600 a night in many markets, especially on weekends, but 250-400 is very common for nice mid range downtown hotels.
I traveled a lot this summer and I found four star places around $300 which I typically describe as they get your bags from your taxi, deliver to room, have room service, and you have concierge.

But by the time I got home I was paying about $400.

Mostly in Europe though and I think they were behind us in opening.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:39 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:59 pm But it should be, at least as an incentives request.
Could they make payments in lieu of taxes to help? I'll admit to not knowing what's going on.
They would under their proposal. Taxing jurisdiction would see millions in new/additional revenues during the inventive period.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Editorial in the star today about this project.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 01393.html

It's very pro getting this passed.