Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 pm Twitter reports that exterior demo has commenced. Only an interior demolition permit has been issued thus far.
I saw it yesterday, and it looks the same as in my last pic more or less
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Is that an orange wrecking ball?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I was able to find this newer rendering

Last edited by normalthings on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I feel like that rendering is looking northeast from Mcgee. The building in the background is too tall to be the Traders building, but seems the right size to be the Argyle building.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

From the 13th and grand thread
normalthings wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:22 pm BOE pre demo permit filed. implosion coming soon?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:10 pm I was able to find this newer rendering

Looking through this thread, it's difficult to get a handle on what is going to be built here (if anything). Last I saw was an underwhelming Drury Inn. What's the present plan? What does that rendering represent?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Highlander wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:29 pmLooking through this thread, it's difficult to get a handle on what is going to be built here (if anything). Last I saw was an underwhelming Drury Inn. What's the present plan? What does that rendering represent?
Last the public has heard, they are demolishing the KCPS/BOE building with no plans.

I've since found out the rendering is likely of an outdated design for 13th and Grand, which is the block west of the BOE building. I found some renderings of it.

Again, this is NOT on the BOE site!

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Has someone called the city? They don’t have a permit for demolition
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Riverite wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm Has someone called the city? They don’t have a permit for demolition
If I'm understanding them right, normalthings said they do have a permit.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 pm
Riverite wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm Has someone called the city? They don’t have a permit for demolition
If I'm understanding them right, normalthings said they do have a permit.
Gotcha, that’s frustrating
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

They have had an interior demo permit for a few months. Structure demo permit was in the works the last time I checked (could be approved now idk).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What is the point of paying to tear down such a large structure with no plan to develop the land? There are already tons of empty lots ready to be developed. This is just blocks from east village which has tons of land and has not been able to get anything going for many years. It looks like this is going to become a surface parking lot for a decade or more. Does that really justify the cost to buy and tear down a building like this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 pm What is the point of paying to tear down such a large structure with no plan to develop the land? There are already tons of empty lots ready to be developed. This is just blocks from east village which has tons of land and has not been able to get anything going for many years. It looks like this is going to become a surface parking lot for a decade or more. Does that really justify the cost to buy and tear down a building like this?
If you know you gonna year it down eventually, you may as well do it now do you can use the surface parking.

I wonder if, by demolishing the existing structure, you can reduce your value of improvements. This would bring your tax rate down which will be a savings if you plan on holding the surface lot indefinitely
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:47 am
GRID wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 pm What is the point of paying to tear down such a large structure with no plan to develop the land? There are already tons of empty lots ready to be developed. This is just blocks from east village which has tons of land and has not been able to get anything going for many years. It looks like this is going to become a surface parking lot for a decade or more. Does that really justify the cost to buy and tear down a building like this?
If you know you gonna year it down eventually, you may as well do it now do you can use the surface parking.

I wonder if, by demolishing the existing structure, you can reduce your value of improvements. This would bring your tax rate down which will be a savings if you plan on holding the surface lot indefinitely
We really need to change the way taxes work on properties, we’ve lost way to many buildings to parking lots already. We should have some sort of code that says a usable building cannot be demolished unless redevelopment plans and financing has been secured
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

From a climate change point-of-view, it doesn't make sense tearing down a building that size. All the energy it took to build it is still floating around in the atmosphere. Then, you are going to burn even more energy building a replacement structure--adding more carbon. It's a steel and concrete shell, that doesn't appear to be on the verge of collapse. It would make more sense environmentally to renovate the building -- like they did with the Flashcube Building, and Traders on Grand. One could still demolish the parking garage on the far south parcel and build a new building there to further add space to rent.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://t.co/zYy1cNCaQc

BOE will come down in the next few weeks. Super structure was the only potential reusable piece of the structure. Murals will be saved but a home has yet to be found (sounds like they want costs to be reimbursed?). 2 adjacent lots expected to be attractive for development.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Demolition work begins on NRHP-listed modernist building in Kansas City

Arch Daily article.

https://tinyurl.com/yc2yjpfm
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

We need an immediate rule where no city buildings can be sold off without immediate redevelopment plans, and that no building can be demolished for a parking lot