OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by flyingember »

On that Lead Bank, from a few years ago.

https://bankingjournal.aba.com/2017/06/ ... lead-bank/
During the buildout phase, we took our design cues from small business incubators
The physical space is absolutely meant to be literal advertising for the bank. It says that in the article.

But from their words they weren't building just a bank, they built a way they can connect with entrepreneurs.

So this idea that a bank will buy into a bigger project, they had their chance to do that and renovated a building instead. I wouldn't expect they sell to a developer any time soon.

It's likely the building plays as important a piece as the location. The idea of renovating a building in the crossroads is part of the culture of the district. It's about authenticity with their potential customers.

The carrying cost of the lots is probably a lot less than the intangible value the building provides. The intangible value is why historic buildings are so important and worth saving
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Reverb Social on floor 14 is a lower price, no reservations required alternative to Mercury Room. They are not advertising Reverb Social at all but I think its open Tuesday-Saturday. Same ownership and staff as Mercury Room. There were 0 people there today so its easy to distance.

Reverb itself is nice. There is no amenity space during the business hours of Mercury Room & Reverb Social.

However, the ground floor host for mercury room almost acts as a doorman for the apartment building which is a nice touch. The 1-bed room units have no bedroom door. Unusual to apartments, the stove hoods actually vent to the outdoors.

Per the tour, Reverb staff is on-site 6-7 days a week and they will be hiring a security officer for the off hours.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 pm Reverb Social on floor 14 is a lower price, no reservations required alternative to Mercury Room. They are not advertising Reverb Social at all but I think its open Tuesday-Saturday. Same ownership and staff as Mercury Room.
What we’re their offerings? Is it only drinks?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:38 am
normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 pm Reverb Social on floor 14 is a lower price, no reservations required alternative to Mercury Room. They are not advertising Reverb Social at all but I think its open Tuesday-Saturday. Same ownership and staff as Mercury Room.
Both are drinks only as far as I know. I’m a water person so all I know is Reverb Social does cocktails and it looked like they had a tap. There was a bunch of wine in the store room when we took a look but that might be reserved for Mercury Room.

It didn’t really look like there is space for a kitchen so I doubt food is ever added.

With what appears to be the success of Bar Stilwell & Mercury Room, I think a full service rooftop place would do well here.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:38 am
Both are drinks only as far as I know. I’m a water person so all I know is Reverb Social does cocktails and it looked like they had a tap. There was a bunch of wine in the store room when we took a look but that might be reserved for Mercury Room.

It didn’t really look like there is space for a kitchen so I doubt food is ever added.
Good to know! Wife and I will have to try this to start a date night sometime and give detailed report :lol:
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 pmUnusual to apartments, the stove hoods actually vent to the outdoors.
whoa. that's unusual even for condos around here as far as i can tell (downtown, that is). i'd pay more of a premium for this than pretty much any other amenity. of course it doesn't matter, because i need a second bedroom....
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New offer: $500 per month off
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Uhm, so from what I heard they know that they kind of fucked up this place and will be making changes.

It’s not leasing well and getting killed by surrounding buildings. Expect a big push in spring when they can do outside stuff
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Their big issue is that they’re just not competitive on price. There are three or four buildings right here that everyone looks at and everyone tells me it’s been terrible.

Everyone goes to light or the place with amenities
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:17 am Their big issue is that they’re just not competitive on price. There are three or four buildings right here that everyone looks at and everyone tells me it’s been terrible.

Am I reading this right that the issue is they're asking a Light-level rent while offering no amenities?

Anything else you can elaborate on here? It's really interesting that it is fairing so poorly.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:17 am Their big issue is that they’re just not competitive on price. There are three or four buildings right here that everyone looks at and everyone tells me it’s been terrible.

Am I reading this right that the issue is they're asking a Light-level rent while offering no amenities?

Anything else you can elaborate on here? It's really interesting that it is fairing so poorly.
Their spin is Light like rents with no on-site amenities. They do give 10-30% discounts at many local businesses (gyms, studios, restaurants,etc). However, people don’t really wanna pay extra nor travel to get to those things.

But things I noted on my tour:
- no gym
- no bed room doors
- no 2 or 3 bedroom units
- no major amenity spaces
- basically no outdoor space
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 pm
smh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Their spin is Light like rents with no on-site amenities. They do give 10-30% discounts at many local businesses (gyms, studios, restaurants,etc). However, people don’t really wanna pay extra nor travel to get to those things.

But things I noted on my tour:
- no gym
- no bed room doors
- no major amenity spaces
- basically no outdoor space
Very interesting. Of all of these I'd say no bedroom doors might be the biggest issue for me. I'm not one for amenity spaces, but I would take a gym.

EDIT: Apparently I had not looked at the 1br floor plans in these units. Wow, the absence of an actual bedroom as opposed to "bed area" is striking. Would be quite difficult for two people to live there comfortably I'd think.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I live in a condo building a block away with no major amenities and no bedroom doors and don't miss them at all. Again, I think most people will pick Reverb because of the smaller building size (that would be me), the precise location (Crossroads is arguably cooler than P&L), and the aesthetics.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

No doubt major amenities are a requirement for suburban apartment complexes. But for downtown apartment buildings they come off as privileged and isolated. Next will be downtown cul de sacs.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Rabble wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pm No doubt major amenities are a requirement for suburban apartment complexes. But for downtown apartment buildings they come off as privileged and isolated. Next will be downtown cul de sacs.
This ain’t it chief.

It’s not privileged and isolated to have amenities in an apartment building (or any type of building with housing for that matter). When you pay a premium for an apartment or condo, you expect the building to include some sort of amenities. You’re in the minority here when it comes down to this view point (as seen in the leasing numbers here compared to other new buildings nearby).

In my opinion, I think a basic fitness center, a pool of some type, an outdoor space with grills and room to socialize and a commons space (which Reverb has) is of big benefit. You can meet with your neighbors among other things. Also, not all people want to spend $1750 per month on an apartment somewhere and then go and spend an additional amount on a gym membership elsewhere.

Not all people have to use the amenities, and they’re not expected to, but they’re there if the people/residents want to use them at some point.

So, just like suburban apartment complexes, amenity spaces are both part of the experience of living in the building as much as they are about justifying rent. They’re not elitist or isolationist.

As for Downtown Cul De Sacs, please. Spare me that grievance.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Rabble wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:01 pm No doubt major amenities are a requirement for suburban apartment complexes. But for downtown apartment buildings they come off as privileged and isolated. Next will be downtown cul de sacs.
This ain’t it chief.

It’s not privileged and isolated to have amenities in an apartment building (or any type of building with housing for that matter). When you pay a premium for an apartment or condo, you expect the building to include some sort of amenities. You’re in the minority here when it comes down to this view point (as seen in the leasing numbers here compared to other new buildings nearby).

In my opinion, I think a basic fitness center, a pool of some type, an outdoor space with grills and room to socialize and a commons space (which Reverb has) is of big benefit. You can meet with your neighbors among other things. Also, not all people want to spend $1750 per month on an apartment somewhere and then go and spend an additional amount on a gym membership elsewhere.

Not all people have to use the amenities, and they’re not expected to, but they’re there if the people/residents want to use them at some point.

So, just like suburban apartment complexes, amenity spaces are both part of the experience of living in the building as much as they are about justifying rent. They’re not elitist or isolationist.

And please keep low income residents off of my party floor.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Rabble wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:47 pm
This ain’t it chief.

And please keep low income residents off of my party floor.
Stupid
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:57 pm I live in a condo building a block away with no major amenities and no bedroom doors and don't miss them at all. Again, I think most people will pick Reverb because of the smaller building size (that would be me), the precise location (Crossroads is arguably cooler than P&L), and the aesthetics.
Then what's the issue? $500 off per month is unprecedented downtown. That's house on fire type stuff.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

smh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:18 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:57 pm I live in a condo building a block away with no major amenities and no bedroom doors and don't miss them at all. Again, I think most people will pick Reverb because of the smaller building size (that would be me), the precise location (Crossroads is arguably cooler than P&L), and the aesthetics.
Then what's the issue? $500 off per month is unprecedented downtown. That's house on fire type stuff.
It’s not unprecedented and it’s not the best they’ve offered.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I lived in a 30+ story apartment building in the most urban place in the USA, and we had none of those amenities in our building.

What were considered amenities there were having a doorman, a laundry room on each floor, a package storage room for deliveries, rentable storage room in the basement, and a deli in the retail space. :lol:

Granted, Reverb's rents are probably too high. Compared to most nearby competitors, their real amenity is a nice view.