OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by WoodDraw »

Man, whoever wrote that I don’t known what they were going for. But they failed. Hard.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Blue. It’s a color. Not just a color. It’s a color that starts with b. What’s b? It’s a letter. A letter that eventually spells blue.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm $30 for a cocktail at the Mercury Room and $52 for a fancy drink. Strict dress code in place too according to their website.

This is no ordinary "sky bar".

https://themercuryroom.com/menu

P.S.: Instagram video shows the light strip "chasing".
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHmOx_LJsjU ... hare_sheet
I would have visited if they had food.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:18 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:19 pm $30 for a cocktail at the Mercury Room and $52 for a fancy drink. Strict dress code in place too according to their website.

This is no ordinary "sky bar".

https://themercuryroom.com/menu

P.S.: Instagram video shows the light strip "chasing".
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHmOx_LJsjU ... hare_sheet
I would have visited if they had food.
I think the space is even smaller than many of us think. So even if there was a food service, it would have to be cooked down stairs and brought up, but I understand your point.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Reverb posted on Facebook an offer. If you lease an apartment by December 31st, you get 4 months rent at 50% off.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

25 units leased it looks like. Reverb is struggling because of no amenity space. The only reason to live at Reverb right now is if you can't get a spot at One or Two Light.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 am 25 units leased it looks like. Reverb is struggling because of no amenity space. The only reason to live at Reverb right now is if you can't get a spot at One or Two Light.
I would personally never live in One or Two Light -- they're just too large and who needs all of that P&L fracas around you all of the time? The Crossroads is the amenity. I know it's trendy to fill developments up with on-site amenities, but not everyone (a) is super social with neighbors or (b) has a dog.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I don't see Reverb as only a 1/2L backup option. Completely different situations.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am Yeah I don't see Reverb as only a 1/2L backup option. Completely different situations.
For $100 more a month, a base unit can unlock tens of thousands of sqft of amenities along with programmed activities by going with One/Two Light. I would always pay the extra $100.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:12 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am Yeah I don't see Reverb as only a 1/2L backup option. Completely different situations.
For $100 more a month, a base unit can unlock tens of thousands of sqft of amenities along with programmed activities by going with One/Two Light. I would always pay the extra $100.
I can see both sides. When I was an alcoholic with a dog, the lights would be the easy choice. Now, I don't drink, no dog, and value my peace and quiet. I could see choosing Reverb over the lights now. I lived in both lights and they felt more like a party house than anything.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Isn’t the unit mix also somewhat of a problem? I heard there are no 2-bedroom units at all in the building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:01 pm Isn’t the unit mix also somewhat of a problem? I heard there are no 2-bedroom units at all in the building.
Studios and 1 Bedrooms only.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The finishes are weird too. I wanted a one bedroom and one they showed me was like an open office.

To get to what I wanted was significantly more than surrounding places that were all finishing at the same time so it was easy to compare. That’s their problem. They also offered no incentives for ever. Now I think it’s two months free.

There are just better apartments right now, especially with crossroads empty.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I feel like there surely was some failure of market research here. Agree on no amenities being kind of a missing factor, especially a pool, but still the market for $2400 one bdr. in KC can't be that big. TBH but what do I know, their rent is more expensive than my 5bdr new build house up North.

Here is the most expensive unit being offered: https://reverbkc.com/availability/

Feel like Arterra is a better pick.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I do not understand reverb on any level
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Despite the lack of amenities and the slow lease-up, I have a soft spot for Reverb. It's a shame that leasing is not going better.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The pandemic really hurt them because their big thing was the rooftop and wine bar. It just doesn’t resonate with people right now. And most will be open to the public and super expensive.

I really did like it though and I think they’ll fill up. They’re offering significant incentives. Three months free or half off your first six months.

If you’re looking to move, take a look.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think their major amenity is the view from the upper apartments, and secured, garaged parking appeals to many.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I can't believe Reverb was developed by the same people that did Arterra. Whereas Arterra is good architecture and excellent urbanism, Reverb is awful at both. Compare how Arterra fills in and relates to its neighbors in the Freight house district, and how awkward Reverb looks in it's neighborhood. I'm a fan of more non-wood frame apartment buildings in our downtown, but the City Club lumber yard to the south is a much better urban design.

I'm reminded of the Parisian, who so loathed the Eiffel Tower, that he spent a lot time there to avoid looking at it. Maybe the rooftop wine bar can advertise itself as the one place in the Crossroads you won't have to look at the Reverb.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rabble wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 pm Compare how Arterra fills in and relates to its neighbors in the Freight house district, and how awkward Reverb looks in it's neighborhood.
It won't look awkward in 10 years when the two of those four corners have new developments on them. I love all the views of Reverb from various spots in the Crossroads -- including my deck.

Also, different architects.