OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by Rabble »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:54 pm
Rabble wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 pm Compare how Arterra fills in and relates to its neighbors in the Freight house district, and how awkward Reverb looks in it's neighborhood.
It won't look awkward in 10 years when the two of those four corners have new developments on them. I love all the views of Reverb from various spots in the Crossroads -- including my deck.

Also, different architects.
So, the little mid-century bank to the west with the new topper, will be replaced by something better? That would cover up the ugly parking cables seen from Main Street.

Burns and Mac should stick to engineering and leave architecture to the architects.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No. I think Dave means to the north and to the east.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm Burns and Mac should stick to engineering and leave architecture to the architects.
An architecture firm shouldn't do architecture?

https://www.burnsmcd.com/about-us
We are a family of companies with an unmatched team of 7,600 engineers, construction professionals, architects, technologists and scientists
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:39 am No. I think Dave means to the north and to the east.
Correct. Lots are owned by the Scientologists and the Botwins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

flyingember wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:25 am
Rabble wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm Burns and Mac should stick to engineering and leave architecture to the architects.
An architecture firm shouldn't do architecture?

https://www.burnsmcd.com/about-us
We are a family of companies with an unmatched team of 7,600 engineers, construction professionals, architects, technologists and scientists
They’ve been doing engineering much longer than architecture and I think it shows.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

They poached architectural talent away from established firm(s). They're not starting from scratch.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:57 pm They poached architectural talent away from established firm(s). They're not starting from scratch.
I’m sorry, but I think Reverb shows they didn’t do a very good job poaching.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

Rabble wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:57 pm They poached architectural talent away from established firm(s). They're not starting from scratch.
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure that it's up to the owners that determine the look and style. If I'm paying for something to look like shit, then bygone, it will.

If I was an architect, and someone wants me to design a turd...so long as I'm being paid, turd it is.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It’s not a bad building... I think it is nice.

It’s just weird... it’s all studio and 1 bedroom, everything is expensive, and people want to be outdoors.

They got killed by two better places opening up at the same time.

Can’t wait to visit the rooftop bar though.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

teclis wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:37 pm
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure that it's up to the owners that determine the look and style. If I'm paying for something to look like shit, then bygone, it will.

If I was an architect, and someone wants me to design a turd...so long as I'm being paid, turd it is.
Bygone it, thanks for explaining why there are so many turds.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

Rabble wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Of course!
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

teclis wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Of course!
Well don’t be too happy about it, Bygone-It, a world full of turds leads to a pretty shitty civilisation.

Here’s hoping true imagination and wonderful architecture returns to KC’s downtown streets, instead of the turds that Bygone-It has so dismally prophesied.
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

Rabble wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:40 pm
Of course!
Well don’t be too happy about it, Bygone-It, a world full of turds leads to a pretty shitty civilisation.

Here’s hoping true imagination and wonderful architecture returns to KC’s downtown streets, instead of the turds that Bygone-It has so dismally prophesied.
Hehe!! :lol: :lol:

Look, I'm no fan of this building...but I'm glad that it got built. It's MUCH better than a parking lot. And I've seen a whole hell of a lot worse looking buildings...BYGONE-IT!! :lol: :lol:
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Look, I'm no fan of this building...but I'm glad that it got built. It's MUCH better than a parking lot. And I've seen a whole hell of a lot worse looking buildings...BYGONE-IT!! :lol: :lol:
I absolutely agree.

My biggest problem with Reverb is how is doesn't relate to Main Street a half block away. But walking around today makes me realize the west facade is the alley side. I've gotta believe the long term plan is for the Lead Bank building to be torn down, and a new building built to the alley, with the same width as Reverb. Then the parking cable would not be seen from Main Street and Reverb would look a whole lot better. My bet is the new building would be only two stories to allow the upper apartments of Reverb to maintain their views west.

I'd sure like Dave to confirm.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I literally spend 24/7 in this immediate vicinity on foot and I never notice these cables. I do look *up* at the building often and notice the many ways it changes as the sun rises and sets. I also look longingly in the raw retail space eagerly awaiting a tenant. I appreciate how minimal and safe the garage entrance feels while walking by on the sidewalk.

Is Arterra better? Perhaps. Are there much worse new construction things to look at? Absolutely.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There are talented architects all over KC, and B&M is no exception. Without knowing the internal project dynamics, it’s impossible for anyone to say why a project ended up looking a certain way. The client, budget, schedule, architect, and engineers all factor in.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think they might have to reimagine the rooftop. I don’t have any problem with the building though.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I'm now liking Reverb better because of the parking cables. No way they leave that section of parking exposed to the street car unless they know they will end up being covered.

I'm thinking this building will be torn down...

and replaced by a building looking more like a companion to this. Then a really cool alley running from 18th to 19th.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

I believe Lead Bank renovated their space over the summer.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

I'm beginning to really like Reverb, and yes I do know how to eat crow. My problem was I saw it as poorly design Main Street building, when in fact it is a Walnut Street building, with it's back facing Main across an alley.

Look how from the corner of 18th and Walnut, it lines up evenly with Corrigan Station and City Club down the street. This is the start of a real street grid and something we need more of.

I have no idea the time line, but eventually the west side will face a building directly across the alley, and be a continuation of the Corrigan Station alley.

Last edited by Rabble on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.