OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by normalthings »

The cantilevers are really starting to show. 11th floor is about to be poured so it’s currently about 36’ below top out.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

From Tom Gerend:

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Status drone video

https://youtu.be/JmGoZxvbN2A
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

You never know maybe in 100 years Downtown to the Plaza will look and feel like New York City.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Steve52 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:14 pm You never know maybe in 100 years Downtown to the Plaza will look and feel like New York City.
Good reason to support the streetcar extension (and the as-yet-unresolved upzoning that will be required in Midtown).
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Weird detail, but painting the jersey barriers blue/black is a nice touch.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

They have a website too...

https://www.reverbkc.com
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:06 am They have a website too...

https://www.reverbkc.com
Well... the website worked last night. It included a description of the apartments being minimalist and customizable to one's tastes and vibes. There was also a large rendering showing a rooftop terrace above the stepped part of the building. The development is also on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (@ReverbKC)
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 pm New drone video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdGfVTeJ1X8
Watching that video made me hopeful of the lots to the north on Walnut being developed as well and how awesome that view would be.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

gfenn11 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 am

Watching that video made me hopeful of the lots to the north on Walnut being developed as well and how awesome that view would be.
I think Lead bank next door to Reverb probably gets bulldozed eventually. That parcel is mostly parking but in too prime of a location to not build on at some point. I can also see Lead wanting to upgrade to a bigger/better space as the bank grows and the building ages. Iirc, it wasn’t exactly the most premier renovation project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm
gfenn11 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 am

I think Lead bank next door to Reverb probably gets bulldozed eventually. That parcel is mostly parking but in too prime of a location to not build on at some point. I can also see Lead wanting to upgrade to a bigger/better space as the bank grows and the building ages. Iirc, it wasn’t exactly the most premier renovation project.
I dunno. I like the LB renovation. It's hard to imagine what it looked like before, so I'd call that a success. I'm much more interested in the surface lots.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Jesus. Burns and Mac got signage on the crane. Some clever marketing guy. Engineering Firm with industrial roots -- making architectural statements.

All my years in Engineering. Never could guess.

Flattering video.

Let's see what Hubble-Nubble-Trouble-Bubble can do for a video.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Look for more bait and switch operations in the future when Burns & McDonnell is involved.
REVERB Loses Some Verve

REVERB, the 14-story apartment tower scheduled to open this summer in the Crossroads, has lost some style on its east side in a revised plan endorsed Wednesday by a Council committee, disappointing city planners.
What the building going up at 18th and Walnut is losing are the originally planned vertical white metal ribbons that would have created an undulating effect over the facade.
“The plans presented in this revision pare down the pedestrian amenities quite significantly and do much less to activate this section of Walnut Street.

“The screening and activation of the eastern façade is mediocre and does little to encourage pedestrian safety or enjoyment of the space.”

https://cityscenekc.com/reverb-loses-some-verve/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Project over budget or they never intended to deliver as rendered?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Looks like you’ll want to steer clear of Burns & Mac architectural design team if you are a developer. This and shit show of the W&R building. Stick to the engineering projects
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:31 am Looks like you’ll want to steer clear of Burns & Mac architectural design team if you are a developer. This and shit show of the W&R building. Stick to the engineering projects
Look at their new HQ to see that they aren’t the hottest architecture team around. The mediocre design is made up for with high end FFE and materials.

I had thought that these Reverb changes were public long ago. I remember making a post about many of these changes quite some time ago.

Copaken’s Arterra project has a lot better ground floor wise imho. I think Reverb above floor 2 looks great aside from the east facade maybe being a little too dark. When reviewing the design previously, I did have some questions about the practicality of a wavy facade. I think that it could have quickly become a tired design and I can see it being called ugly. I also think the simplified designed shows off those cantilevers more which I think are a more impressive feature anyways.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:31 am Looks like you’ll want to steer clear of Burns & Mac architectural design team if you are a developer. This and shit show of the W&R building. Stick to the engineering projects
Look at their new HQ to see that they aren’t the hottest architecture team around. The mediocre design is made up for with high end FFE and materials.

I had thought that these Reverb changes were public long ago. I remember making a post about many of these changes quite some time ago.

Copaken’s Arterra project has a lot better ground floor wise imho. I think Reverb above floor 2 looks great aside from the east facade maybe being a little too dark. When reviewing the design previously, I did have some questions about the practicality of a wavy facade. I think that it could have quickly become a tired design and I can see it being called ugly. I also think the simplified designed shows off those cantilevers more which I think are a more impressive feature anyways.
Honestly I always knew Burns & Mac as a premier engineering firm, never really thought they would offer design teams for high rise projects to make a statement, etc.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

They brought in outside help for that. I know they poached a designer from Helix architects. Maybe they brought in some others.