Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by FangKC »

But the old Muelebach shares a big lobby in the newer wing. Plus there is at least one restaurant space in the old Muehlebach (Pam Pam Room), and a small cocktail lounge facing Baltimore that goes mostly unused.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Location, location, location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Re-reading the biz journal article I now remember being enraged by the city paying $250k a year to get free evening and weekend parking in this garage....WHY IN THE WORLD ARE WE DOING THAT?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 pm Re-reading the biz journal article I now remember being enraged by the city paying $250k a year to get free evening and weekend parking in this garage....WHY IN THE WORLD ARE WE DOING THAT?
https://twitter.com/KCMOCityAuditor/sta ... 6751588352
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city auditor office doesn't give me a lot of confidence in anything mindblowing being uncovered.....especially with this specific project and free parking being offered in a downtown garage.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

snigglefritz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm Per KCBJ, the LCRA has approved incentives for this project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=85640431
This snippet from the article…
Work on the office/garage will begin first, in a few months, followed by the Muehlebach apartments.
I hope they release new renderings of the office tower if it's going to begin in a few months.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The Muehlebach once had a two story lobby with a mezzanine. I've never seen a great picture of it, but you can see the railing in the upper part of the frame here. Also, I have the testimony of my grandmother to back it up.

This is the area of ceiling that isn't original. I'm assuming it got filled in when the south addition was built.

Because of that, if you go to that floor, you'll notice that the ceilings seem pretty low. Note the height of the columns.

That mezzinine could be brought back like how it was in the pickwick

There's also evidence that it does have large meeting spaces.

If large rooms is what it takes, then use the convention room addition built to the south.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The existing lobby in the old Muehlebach Hotel seems large enough to me. The lobbies of the Phillips, the President, and the Aladdin are not very big either. I haven't been in the Savoy since it was renovated, but it didn't have a big lobby either.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 pm Re-reading the biz journal article I now remember being enraged by the city paying $250k a year to get free evening and weekend parking in this garage....WHY IN THE WORLD ARE WE DOING THAT?
City manager responded that free parking wasn't approved yesterday by the committee....so the biz journal story is inaccurate or just reads weird
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Interesting underground space. The place is a maze. Reminds me of NYC

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That bar was one of the options for the miracle pop up bar
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Haberdashery bar/grille was in that space. Peanut shells on the floor. Muehlebach is one of the most haunted places in town.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Perhaps they're switching the hotel and apartments so the hotel is adjacent to the parking deck they're building as part of the office building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Big Redevelopment Plan By Barney Allis Plaza Gets Bigger
A major redevelopment project that will transform a block bordering Barney Allis Plaza has bumped up its office component by 43 percent, responding to a downtown market that developers believe is ripe for new space.

The project planned by Platform Ventures originally called for 70,000 square feet of office, but now has 100,000 spare feet and has increased the number of apartments planned as well, said Evan Welsh, vice president.

Welsh said preliminary renovation already is underway to convert the Kansas City Club building at 1228 Baltimore into a 144-room hotel project that will include two restaurants and meeting space.

Work on the office and garage building at the northeast corner of 13th and Wyandotte is expected to begin next summer.

The renovation of the currently vacant upper floors of the 103 year-old Muehlbach into 190 apartments is expected to begin next Fall.

The hotel to be operated by Two Roads, part of the Hyatt hotel group, is scheduled to open in June 2020. The office, garage and apartment component should be completed by the end of 2020.
He said about 60 percent of the units will meet the city’s definition of affordable with monthly rents of $1,100 or less.
https://cityscenekc.com/big-redevelopme ... T5Yv2DGeB8
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

missingkc wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm Perhaps they're switching the hotel and apartments so the hotel is adjacent to the parking deck they're building as part of the office building.
I think the article above tells us. The hotel operator is a Hyatt brand. It makes sense that they would put the hotel in another building, because I sure Marriott wouldn't want to share a lobby and building with Hyatt.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:53 pmI think the article above tells us. The hotel operator is a Hyatt brand. It makes sense that they would put the hotel in another building, because I sure Marriott wouldn't want to share a lobby and building with Hyatt.
If that's the case, maybe the muehlebach lobby is staying connected to the marriott. If that's the case, I wonder if they'll continue to use the south addition with the ballrooms and stuff
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am sure they will. That is their better event space.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Found an image of the lobby before it was filled in

Same perspective today

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sure hope they can unfill that!
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:53 pm
missingkc wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm Perhaps they're switching the hotel and apartments so the hotel is adjacent to the parking deck they're building as part of the office building.
I think the article above tells us. The hotel operator is a Hyatt brand. It makes sense that they would put the hotel in another building, because I sure Marriott wouldn't want to share a lobby and building with Hyatt.
That does make sense.