Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:59 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:05 pm I wouldn't be surprised if Warren Buffett bought Union Pacific just to keep them in Omaha. Berkshire-Hathaway already owns the majority of Burlington-Northern-Santa Fe.

I'm surprised that Buffett didn't buy Kansas City Southern before the Canadians came calling because of KCS's ownership of Mexican railroads.

https://financialpost.com/investing/warren-buffett-bnsf
Doubt he would be allowed to buy it nor would he want to. He would own almost all of the US rail network west of the Mississippi.

UP leaving Omaha is just a matter of time. Rumors have been a move to Dallas (where BNSF is). Just wish KC would make a pitch. Being so close to Omaha would make the move reasonable for existing staff. Like to think KC is a place talent is generally okay moving to.

Kewitt is another big Omaha employer. They ended up keeping their HQ in Omaha but built a big new KC facility. I was told their KC operation is the same size or bigger than the HQ.
Granted regarding Union Pacific, but still surprised Buffett didn't buy Kansas City Southern years ago. It would have given BNSF actual ownership of rail lines in Mexico, and they wouldn't have to transfer as much with Mexican-owned rail lines. It would then made BNSF the only US rail company to own a significant rail network in Mexico. These are lines that go to several major Mexican cities: Monterrey, Veracruz, Mexico City, San Luis Potosi, Leon, Puebla, Toluca, and Guadalajara. Six of these cities are among the top 10 metropolitan areas of Mexico. That is what has made KCS as valuable as it is.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Burns & Mac team that did WR and Reverb is doing the apartment project. Moving forward with permitting
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Maybe the third time will be the charm for an engaging street-level design.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Eon Blue wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:56 pm Maybe the third time will be the charm for an engaging street-level design.
I think this is about the old Muehlebach hotel, not the office building
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

So doing some digging around, I stumbled across four more renderings of the original office building design for this project. One showing the building from Barney Allis Plaza, two aerial, and one interior rendering. This were produced in July 2017.

The other two were made in August 2019 and show the office building with balconies/terraces.

I'm posting these because I didn't see these posted before in this thread, so I thought, "might as well, It's for the record".
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was wondering whatever happened to this project? In 2019 it seemed like a likely build. Did it become a Covid casualty?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:47 pm Replat with Burns & mac

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
What does that mean exactly? That they are turning the existing puny little building into 2 condos?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0993444 ... 312!8i6656

So the office building is off the table?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:47 pm Replat with Burns & mac

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts
What does that mean exactly? That they are turning the existing puny little building into 2 condos?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0993444 ... 312!8i6656

So the office building is off the table?
A condo is a legal term. It’s the paper work process to get the apartment conversion going.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The B&M entry is a different project

That's 1200 Baltimore and the office tower is for 13th and Wyandotte
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hotel Kansas City plans new feature: a late-night basement bar
As if the Hotel Kansas City couldn’t get more cool stuff, the refurbished former home of the Kansas City Club will open a new basement bar that plans to offer “eclectic music, fast-friendly service, nostalgic pub food and a lively, energetic late-night atmosphere.”
The “moody interior” comes with leather banquettes, glowing lights, a pool table and a large stage, the release says. (For all you audiophiles. It will include “a large display of vinyl records, a DJ booth featuring Altec A5 speakers with Werner Jagusch crossovers, a Japanese Elekit 200b tube amp and three turntables.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2021-10-26
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

CityScene says Nighthawk will open in the basement of Hotel Kansas City Nov. 26.

Nighthawk Lands at Hotel Kansas City
Tipton said the plan is for Nighthawk to become a downtown gathering place for locals and hotel guests to enjoy both live music and DJs. The walls are decorated with posters of both Kansas City and national music legends.

Nighthawk is scheduled to formally open on Nov. 26, and will limit its hours to Friday and Saturday nights until more staff can be hired.

The schedule ultimately calls for DJs to perform on Friday and Sunday nights, with live music and Thursdays and Saturdays including blues, rock and funk. The music is expected to start at 9 p.m.

No reservations are required and most nights there won’t be a cover charge. The DJ booth also features a line-up of LPs.
https://cityscenekc.com/nighthawk-lands ... o_2nqG2hdM
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Handsome space.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I got this ad on youtube. It just links to Area’s website but has this new(?) rendering of the office building

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:17 pm I got this ad on youtube. It just links to Area’s website but has this new(?) rendering of the office building

Looks like a new perspective rendering. Every rendering we've seen of the office building at this point has been from the ground level. Still wish this would happen.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I almost shit my pants when I saw that new rendering of Barney Allis earlier in the thread
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

CityScene is reporting the bar in the Muehlebach Hotel building, that faces Baltimore, will reopen.

Historic Muehlebach Hotel Bar Reopening After 40 Years
The former Rendezvous bar in the historic Muehlebach Hotel, a luxurious watering hole where Truman Capote once worked on “In Cold Blood” and bygone businessmen talked deals over whiskeys and cigars, is reopening soon as the Voo Lounge.

The old bar at 1214 Baltimore has been largely dormant since 1983, but thanks to the new Downtown Marriott ownership its been restored to the grandeur it radiated when the landmark hotel opened in 1915.
The Voo Lounge will reopen Feb. 10 as a classic piano bar with Will O’Keefe performing every evening. The concept calls for it to be an interactive experience for patrons to enjoy the music and perhaps sing along.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-muehle ... -40-years/

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0996735 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.vookansascity.com/history
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Hey, that's very exciting! I was in there once for an event and it is such a lovely space.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is this the same spot where the Haberdashery was in the eighties? Where they had crocks of peanuts on the tables and people were encouraged to throw the shells on the floor?