Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody see the news tonight? Not sure the station but they had a diagram from Ellerbe Beckett that showed a downtown baseball stadium in Washington Square Park just east of Union Station.

This design also showed the arena to the north at 12th & Grand with greenspace connecting these two facilities. Looked like a great plan that would help anchor more housing in the crossroads....although I could see it injuring the crossroads as well because a new baseball stadium would bring more mainstream retail to the area.

Looked like a great design, although I'd still want KC Live! where it is.....it would only be a 7 block walk from KC Live to the baseball stadium.

Still very early plans and nothing more than a dream by E-B so far but cool to see designers working on things like this.

In all reality, I'd rather see the facilities swap....an arena by Union Station & the baseball stadium by H&R Block but anyways.....
Last edited by KCPowercat on Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Did they say anything like who is doing it or if it is a great possibility? Nevermind, i just read more on it
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

What happens to the old stadium if they build a new one? Do they tear it down? Or can they convert it to an MLS stadium?
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nothing more than a concept right now I'd say.

KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Columbus Park?? That's east of the River Market. I think the park east of Union Station and north of Crown Center is Washington or Washington Square???
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Must be Washington Square Park if it's east of Union Station. Is this a real or just someone saying what they think would be groovy?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Oh yea, just saw it on Fox 4 :)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Holly shit that would be sweet, too bad this town does't have to willpower to do something like that.

Would love it if EB posted a rendering of it.

I like the idea of the stadium there and the arena Downtown.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

well, I took a VERY short video of the rendering and a photo of the arena. (its all actually a map)
It brings back some memories:
(Sorry KC, I just had to do the video since the ballpark passed too quickly)
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/albums/kcg ... 001187.avi
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my bad, was Washington Square...edited
Last edited by KCPowercat on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The fast growing downtown population would give a boost to season ticket sales. Also, since the Royals and Hallmark share the crown as its symbol I would think it would be a natural to have Hallmark own the naming rights for the new ballpark. "Hallmark Field" with a large crown facing their world headquarters would be ideal.

As for the current "K", could it be converted as a home for the Wizards? Lamar Hunt could have his duel stadiums.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:my bad, was Columbus Square...edited
you got me pretty darn excited, KC, with that talk of Washington Park

i'd never leave my current employer at 2323 Grand if a new baseball stadium were built 50 steps away from my office....NEVER

i can't imagine life being any better......

businessman's specials here i come

where the heck is columbus square?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan...I screwed up even with the edit......it IS WASHINGTON SQUARE.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Dan...I screwed up even with the edit......it IS WASHINGTON SQUARE.
OMG!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ummm, I doubt it would happen......plus I'm not sure how this would work with KC Live....I would think those retailers would want to build closer to the baseball park but 7 blocks really isn't that big of a deal if it's made walkable.

Looking at this plan how you would have the PAC to Bartle to H&R/KC Live to the Arena and down to the proposed basball park shouldn't we call this area the 7 or something?

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Ummm, I doubt it would happen......plus I'm not sure how this would work with KC Live....I would think those retailers would want to build closer to the baseball park but 7 blocks really isn't that big of a deal if it's made walkable.

Looking at this plan how you would have the PAC to Bartle to H&R/KC Live to the Arena and down to the proposed basball park shouldn't we call this area the 7 or something?
i know the chances of this actually becoming a reality are prolly slim to none, but, much like jim carey says to lauren holley in dumb and dumber....."so, you're saying i have a chance!" when given 1 in a Million odds....

at this point.....i'll take those odds as something to get excited about. just thinking about it gives me warm fuzzies....of course, you're right. it's prolly too good to be true.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Looking at this plan how you would have the PAC to Bartle to H&R/KC Live to the Arena and down to the proposed basball park shouldn't we call this area the 7 or something?
you're talking over my head, KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm just rambling...I love the idea of the arena on the north side and the baseball park on the south side with a linear park connecting them...sort of like the park that runs in from of Busch from the arch.

Just worried that might hurt the crossroads organic growth and force out the artists....

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The story hit the Star...Collison ran a big piece on it. Bigger than any arena story I have seen recently!!??? I think this idea would probably have more supporters than the new arena idea.

[quote]

Posted on Tue, Jan. 27, 2004

DEVELOPMENT
Ellerbe Becket steps up with ballpark idea

By KEVIN COLLISON
Columnist

Kansas City is the home of some of the top sports architects in the world.

With that in mind, I thought it would be enlightening to ask them how they would do a downtown baseball field here if the opportunity ever arose. The first to accept the invitation was Ellerbe Becket.

First, here's a little about the company. It's based in Minneapolis, but its sports division was founded in Kansas City in 1988. It employs 80 architects, engineers and interior designers at its offices at 4600 Madison Ave. I don't have space to list all its major projects, but here are a few recent ones:

Centennial Olympic Stadium (Atlanta Braves) in 1996, Seahawks Stadium (Seattle) in 2002, Ford Field (Detroit Lions) in 2002, Bank One Ballpark (Arizona Diamondbacks) in 1998, and the renovation of Lambeau Field (Green Bay Packers) in 2003.

So where would they recommend building a ballpark if they had the opportunity?

Right across the street from Crown Center on a cozy site bounded by Grand Boulevard, Main Street, Pershing Road and the Kansas City Terminal Railway tracks. Right now, that area is occupied by Washington Square Park, a large parking lot controlled by Union Station and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City office building.

Ellerbe Becket architects estimate that for about $350 million, a state-of-the-art ballpark could be built there that would seat 42,000 people. It would offer dramatic city views, and Liberty Memorial would tower behind home plate.

As with other urban ballparks around the country, its site would shape its form. The dimensions would be left field line, 331 feet; left center, 410 feet; dead center, 405 feet; right center, 357 feet, and right field line, 319 feet.

“Like other old ballparks created out of the street grid system, it would be part of the urban environment,â€
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailer...I doubt it....many people still love Kauffman and the cost is so much higher than a new arena. Plus people hate Kemper....nobody likes that place.