OFFICIAL - City Bank Building (Church of Scientology)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - City Bank Building (Church of Scientology)

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:11 pm Did McClatchy used to own the building before the Scientologists?
Yes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hopefully, the "church" organization will be exposed for the cult it is, and collapse soon. Then someone can redevelop the building and put it back on the tax rolls.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

So, what do we want this building to become once it inevitably goes up for sale again? I’m thinking hotel
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why not a bank again? Several small banks have opened recently, and the rising population bodes well for more. At least use the lobby as bank again--or credit union, and rent out the upper floors as office space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:54 pm So, what do we want this building to become once it inevitably goes up for sale again? I’m thinking hotel
You haven't looked into Scientology have you? The org structure is your classic corporate cult structure where they could go bust and someone will still own the building 100 years from now unless they're sued to give it up.

The only good thing is apparently they do maintain their buildings.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Oh no
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yeah, I’d be surprised if that building or the one on 39th ever get sold.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:24 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:54 pm So, what do we want this building to become once it inevitably goes up for sale again? I’m thinking hotel
You haven't looked into Scientology have you? The org structure is your classic corporate cult structure where they could go bust and someone will still own the building 100 years from now unless they're sued to give it up.

Yeah, this building will be passed down to someone else through a limited liability company or to a follower before it goes on sale to a public buyer. Read about what they did to downtown Clearwater Florida. Let's just hope that doesn't happen here. I can sure see them being big naysayers on future development in the Crossroads and protest against any and all of it. Especially anything involving alcohol.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2019/1 ... editorial/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Didn’t the city council just vote the reduce the power of churches and schools in by-the-drink alcohol approvals?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCLover wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:55 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:24 am

Yeah, this building will be passed down to someone else through a limited liability company or to a follower before it goes on sale to a public buyer. Read about what they did to downtown Clearwater Florida. Let's just hope that doesn't happen here. I can sure see them being big naysayers on future development in the Crossroads and protest against any and all of it. Especially anything involving alcohol.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2019/1 ... editorial/
They have a sizable presence on the Delmar Loop in STL. Yet that street is filled with bars and CBD stores.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Their market is people who are easy to influence and get their money. They would want to be surrounded by bars
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:48 am Why not a bank again? Several small banks have opened recently, and the rising population bodes well for more. At least use the lobby as bank again--or credit union, and rent out the upper floors as office space.
Chase Bank plans to open 20 branches in KC

https://tinyurl.com/y4hhgzjq
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square