Amazon searching for second HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Amazon searching for second HQ

Post by JLowe2018 »

grovester wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Greitens is though
Greitens loves jobs.
Imagine how much Greitens would have to boast about if either KC or STL won this under his administration?

"When I helped Missiouri add 50,000 jobs for Amazon..." would become his new go to phrase in interviews instead of "when I was a Navy Seal" or "I came here to fight the insiders." :lol:

For real though, if Greitens isn't chasing after this project like a dog chasing a cat, then I don't know what's going on with him.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Our state politicians pander to St Louis so much I wouldn't be surprised if they work against us in this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I don't support this project on the grounds that the buildings might look like a wall.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:I don't support this project on the grounds that the buildings might look like a wall.
but what about the glass?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Glass companies are secretly running the city. This is why the city promotes the streetcar, the airport, and generally any other project that benefits KC. Their glass maker overlords will benefit from such things.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

As the saying goes Kansas City has as much chance of getting this Amazon project as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:As the saying goes Kansas City has as much chance of getting this Amazon project as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
You're right, lets not even try.

Bidding on moon shot projects like this teach you nothing about yourself. There is nothing learned from the introspection involved in self-promotion, or the analytics you run in self-evaluation. Always better not to dream because then you will never be disappointed. And if the worst thing is that if you come close to winning, like making a semi-final round, you will never gain the attention of any other possible companies that might not have considered you in the past. Shut it down people.

&
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

What Amazon says is important will drive the next decade of urban projects. If they come out for bike lanes and commuter rail and say this is more important than incentives for the success of business cities and states will follow.

Remember, this is 1 in 3000 jobs in the US. The gain is roughly equal to the population of Joplin. It's a huge deal in terms of raw numbers.

Ignore the specific company, it will drive the conversation for all business campus projects.
And we need the conversation to go back to what does the city provide our employees, not what can the city provide us.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

ldai_phs wrote:I don't support this project on the grounds that the buildings might look like a wall.
Snarkiness noted but com'on now, those of us annoyed by the good possibility of a monotonous Cordish wall are not at all opposed to the project, just trying to sway making each building different while there is a chance. And yeah, it's an aesthetics peeve.

On Amazon, KC to make an 'aggressive' bid. I wonder if the State will back incentives for both STL and KC bid...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 94572.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just realized they want 100 acres. North loop is 20. East village MAY be 40
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They want potential for 8 million sq ft. As the bizjournal noted, the DT loop itself does not even have that much office space currently.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What about Harlem?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote:What about Harlem?
The height of the buildings needed for that much space would probably fail FAA approval.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Leftover space for Cerner?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

CBS list of qualified cities based on talent/bachelors degrees. KC on list, STL is not...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazons-hq ... ontenders/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I just realized they want 100 acres. North loop is 20. East village MAY be 40
For comparison,
Everything between I-70, Paseo, 71 and terminal RR is about 100 acres
the entire crossroads east of Oak is about 115 acres

there's one piece of land big enough for this project anywhere near the center of the city, the giant undeveloped area between NKC and Parvin Road. It's over 200 acres and it's effectively a single owner today.
It's easily reachable by rail and bus expansion, it's right on a freeway where new flyover ramps for direct access could be built, the park land on the site would easily pass an election to dispose of (it's all overgrown and unused today), it's already quite central in the city, it would have good airport access. NKC schools would be crazy interested in the tax base. Only potential issue is it's technically on the flight path for MKC.

I don't see any other site that could come close. The size aspect really eliminates a lot of options nationwide.
Last edited by flyingember on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If logistics expertise is a factor, KC ranks in top 5 according to...
http://www.areadevelopment.com/specialP ... tml?Page=2

Methinks Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas will make the short list, maybe Philly or Pittsburgh if they want closer to E Coast.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

If the full freeway removal option was chosen for the north loop, that would free up 32 acres.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pment.html

But even combining that with the East Village and existing North Loop acreage, it still isn't quite enough.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is North Loop acreage including the lots near 8th/Wyandotte E of Phoenix Bar? And will they really need 100 acres if doing 70+ story buildings?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

There's empty lots off admiral down That part of the east side that overlooks downtown. The name escapes me