OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

Bryant said discussions are ongoing with a potential bank to locate at the northwest corner.
Sounds like they have a potential tenant for one of the proposed new construction buildings.

User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15268
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by FangKC »

Grand Place, Historic KC Star Redevelopment, Tweaks Design, Opening Fall 2021

https://cityscenekc.com/grand-place-hi ... fall-2021/

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Roanoke/Volker

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by atticus23 »

Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

atticus23 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?
Men’s only spa and barber

atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Location: Roanoke/Volker

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by atticus23 »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:05 pm
atticus23 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Super dumb question, but did I read somewhere that there will be "private baths" in the lower level of this development or did I randomly dream this? If I actually did read that correctly (and clearly I can't think of the source), then what does a "private bath" entail...?
Men’s only spa and barber
Interesting and thank you!

Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: The Kansas side (sorry)

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by Sani »

I'm a little surprised the tweaked plans included more office space, given Covid-19 and its effects on work-from-home growth.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

From AREA leasing documents:

"Purchase of the buildings and parcels occurred on September 1, 2017. Interior demolition of both the east and west buildings was completed in January 2020. Incentives were approved in October 2018. Renovation of the historical buildings core and shell started in August of 2019 with completion by June 2021. Underground garage construction is expected to start in September 2020 with a completion date in June 2021. Occupancy of the historic building is planned for second quarter 2021. The timeline could move forward or back based on pre-development accomplishments."

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

TRIA Healthcare of OP will take 17,000 at the Grand when it opens in late 2021. The firm expects to double its footprint there within a few years. Bryant projects to open roughly 50% leased.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

Addition + Change of Occupancy Permit submitted.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=contacts

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1953
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

Video shows the interior is still empty, over three years later.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am
https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

Video shows the interior is still empty, over three years later.
I was in that building a year ago. It's a big project and will take time, not to mention the uncertain times and questions about how quickly space will lease up. This project will likely put "The Parlor" out of business.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9357
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am
https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

Video shows the interior is still empty, over three years later.
I was in that building a year ago. It's a big project and will take time, not to mention the uncertain times and questions about how quickly space will lease up. This project will likely put "The Parlor" out of business.
My understanding is that this was supposed to be more of a marketplace similar to the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco with many different food vendors and restaurants. https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

The "Parlor" is more of a singular but relatively quaint bar that has what are essentially food trucks located indoors. I really enjoyed the Parlor on my one trip there and hope there's enough of a market to keep it open.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30732
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by KCPowercat »

Dcole have you been to parlor?

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am
https://fox4kc.com/business/developers- ... rossroads/

Video shows the interior is still empty, over three years later.
I was in that building a year ago. It's a big project and will take time, not to mention the uncertain times and questions about how quickly space will lease up. This project will likely put "The Parlor" out of business.
My understanding is that this was supposed to be more of a marketplace similar to the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco with many different food vendors and restaurants. https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

The "Parlor" is more of a singular but relatively quaint bar that has what are essentially food trucks located indoors. I really enjoyed the Parlor on my one trip there and hope there's enough of a market to keep it open.
Grand Place is very similar to the Foundry in Saint Louis. I’d agree that there is a lot of overlap.

Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by Rabble »

Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9074
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.
The best way to grow downtown is to demand everything be everywhere, to not think that somehow certain amenities must be in specific places.

This is how mixed use thrives, by letting the market decide

Crown Center has a food court and people visit it just fine.

Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by Rabble »

flyingember wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:44 am
Rabble wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
Additional shell work is being priced on this building but the GC has no info on the interior. My hope is the food court goes away. Any large food hall downtown should be part of or near the City Market.
The best way to grow downtown is to demand everything be everywhere, to not think that somehow certain amenities must be in specific places.

This is how mixed use thrives, by letting the market decide

Crown Center has a food court and people visit it just fine.
Yes, but if the goal of this city would be to create one downtown neighborhood with real urban density it would start with the River Market. A food hall connected to the City Market would help make the area a major attraction.

I don't see much energy near the old Star building, just surface lots and Scientologists. Where is the demand? Do Scientologists even eat?

And I forget about Crown Center's food court the same way I forget about Oak Park Mall's.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9074
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by flyingember »

Rabble wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31 am
Yes, but if the goal of this city would be to create one downtown neighborhood with real urban density it would start with the River Market. A food hall connected to the City Market would help make the area a major attraction.

I don't see much energy near the old Star building, just surface lots and Scientologists. Where is the demand? Do Scientologists even eat?

And I forget about Crown Center's food court the same way I forget about Oak Park Mall's.
You don't see much energy *yet*
The owner clearly sees a lack of options in the area and feels like they can make money by being the first of something in that area.

And "Do Scientologists Eat" ignores the brand new apartments one block to the west. It's not like this development would only serve people across the street.


As for your overall goal, you're acting as if there's some giant master plan the city has control over. That couldn't be further from the truth. The city enables development, the owner has to then choose to develop the property.
The city has no reason why they shouldn't accept development projects that meet city standards anywhere downtown at any time. If the city only chose to approve projects in the river market it could be waiting decades for projects to complete.

Chris Stritzel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think a Food Hall/Court at Grand Place will be good for the neighborhood. Forget about the Scientologists. The surrounding neighborhood has seen quite the increase in apartments in the past few years (Reverb, City Club, and Artistry being the closest) and this is expected to continue. Not to mention you have some small offices popping up around the Crossroads. With the Crossroads continuing to grow and becoming a great place to live, the Food Hall/Court at Grand Place should work out just fine and be an asset to the neighborhood rather than a nuisance. Surely it will be popular.

And by time it opens, there will most likely be other projects underway that will add more housing and workplaces within the vicinity. And let's not forget about the streetcar. That's perhaps the biggest new asset KC has for connecting lots of neighborhoods together. Nearest stop is "Crossroads" at 19th and Main. That's about 3 blocks away, so people could, and most likely will, take that from Downtown or the River Market to go to Grand Place.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by normalthings »

Work starting soon on a 25,000 sqft tenant build out. I thought I read second floor at one point but I can't find it now. Tria was reported to be renting 17,000 sqft so not sure if this is them or not

Post Reply