OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by FangKC »

I'm starting a new thread for the KC Star building redevelopment, since it's no longer owned by McClatchy and the Star staff will be moving out of it.

Historic Kansas City Star Building Sold, to be Redeveloped as Office Project for 1,200 Workers
The Kansas City Star’s historic headquarters building at 1729 Grand Blvd. has been sold to a local developer who wants to redevelop the property as a first-class office project for up to 1,200 workers.

On Friday, The Star’s parent company, Sacramento-based McClatchy, announced it had sold the historic property and the 11-year-old Press Pavilion across McGee Street for a combined $42 million.

Vince Bryant, who recently participated in the successful redevelopment of the Corrigan Station office project at 18th and Walnut, said he’s looking forward to the opportunity to renovate the historic Star property.

“I’m looking at many different options,” he said, “but my number one hope is to create a campus-like office setting, one of the best in the city.”

On the north side of the historic property currently occupied by a surface parking lot, Bryant plans to build a 600-space garage.

On the south side, where the landmark fountain is located, he wants to create a lane that would connect McGee and Grand, allowing vehicle access to the front of the building.

Bryant said undeveloped Star property along 18th Street between McGee and Grand is slated to be developed as a potential five-story apartment or hotel project or both.

https://cityscenekc.com/historic-kansas ... 0-workers/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by DaveKCMO »

really excited for this. vince does great work.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KC Star building redevelopment

Post by Highlander »

Where is the Star moving to? Hopefully they will stay in DT KC. Will they keep the printing building?

When I read this, I was hoping that McLatchy had sold the Star. No such luck.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Highlander wrote:Where is the Star moving to? Hopefully they will stay in DT KC. Will they keep the printing building?
They’re moving the newsroom to the printing building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, The Star's parent sold printing press building but will lease it back for operations/newsroom/staff. That's how shrunken The Star has become, seemingly a skeleton crew biz. Though many may work from home too w/out a desk.

Another lot filled but ideally the garage would have ground level retail space. Can be used for storage or maybe conference rooms until right timing for retail. Would expect Xroads Association would have this as a default push with developers for all newly constructed buildings/garages...

Source: https://cityscenekc.com/historic-kansas ... 0-workers/
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Has there ever been a thought of doing a gallery in residence program for unused street retail space downtown? I know it's harder than it sounds and would take an endowment from someone and an expectation that land owners would charge only a nominal rent. But I always thought it would be good government the history of the crossroads.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Has there ever been a thought of doing a gallery in residence program for unused street retail space downtown? I know it's harder than it sounds and would take an endowment from someone and an expectation that land owners would charge only a nominal rent. But I always thought it would be good government the history of the crossroads.
The Urban Culture Project used to do something along these lines, with the Paragraph Gallery on 12th across from Andrews McMeel one of their more prominent spaces, along with a brief show in the Jenkins Music Building (facade). Paragraph is still in use. Not sure how active they are today, or if they continue to branch out into other available spaces.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Charlotte Street Foundation has studio residencies with shows in both the paragraph and open studios in Town Pavilion.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm pretty sure every bank that has a branch in Xroads has an artist in residence program. Hotel Phillips used to have one (not sure if they do anymore), i think the new Xroads hotel at the Pabst building plans to have a significant artist in residence program and I wouldn't be surprised if any number of other hotels don't have something similar if only on a smaller scale.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Wow, saw them bringing in sand ~week ago...not what I expected. I guess it's fine as a temporary use, but Grand needs to go UP!

wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

should be a great spot on first fridays to play sand volleyball, crack a beer, and accept delivery of 18 jesus cookies
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

There are several sand volleyball courts at Berkeley Park.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:There are several sand volleyball courts at Berkeley Park.
With leagues and everything.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
taxi wrote:There are several sand volleyball courts at Berkeley Park.
With leagues and everything.
Six courts, opened July 2016
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/other- ... 87207.html

There's one sand court each at Roanoke Park and Brookside Park too
http://kcparks.org/amenities/sand-volleyball-court/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

How do you join?
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Bar K will be open soon and close.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Headed to PZED soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The staff of the Kansas City Star have moved out of the former newspaper headquarters building at 1729 Grand into the press pavilion.

The Kansas City Star Turns Off The Lights After More Than A Century At 1729 Grand

At one time, more than 1,700 people worked at 1729 Grand, but the rapidly declining fortunes of the newspaper industry over the past decade has prompted substantial layoffs as revenues have continued to drop.

Approximately 200 Star employees remained in the old building last fall including newsroom, advertising, human resources and technology staff, according to a statement at the time from McClatchy.

http://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-city-st ... d#stream/0