Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am

Probably best they didn’t develop the station by the looks of those buildings they built. Dodged a bullet.

TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheLastGentleman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:10 pm

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am
Probably best they didn’t develop the station by the looks of those buildings they built. Dodged a bullet.
In the book the Star released after the building's reopening, they say Trizec wanted to demolish the waiting room, so obviously they didn't care about preservation. If I'm remembering right, their justification was that the construction of 2 Pershing could rattle it to pieces so they might as well tear it down first. George Ehrlich, an art history professor at UMKC and author of Kansas City, Missouri: An Architectural History, 1826-1990, was the main force pushing back on that decision and ended up succeeding. 2 Pershing still got built and the waiting room survived, big surprise.

What's so unsettling about the whole thing is that I can so clearly see an alternate world where Union Station's restoration was botched in some way, and us all saying something like, "Well, at least they saved some of it."

Cincinnati's Union Terminal had an almost identical layout to our Union Station, and had their waiting room destroyed.

Sorry to derail this thread, I just think it's an interesting topic

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:31 pm

What a shame to have that waiting room destroyed. Just unbelievable ! Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing

TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheLastGentleman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:34 pm

KCTOGA wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:31 pm
What a shame to have that waiting room destroyed. Just unbelievable ! Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing
Thankfully the most significant parts of the building still exist

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:58 pm