Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by GRID »

snigglefritz wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 pm
kboish wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm I guess it could be a 5-story, 1000 space garage w/ a 12 story building on top. That wouldn't surprise me.
In the EEZ presentation, their attorney said it's projected to be up to 15 floors (including the parking garage).
Seems like 140 million for relatively small building is off. Something is not adding up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've done some searching for an example of a 12-story building with around 300,000 sq. feet, which is what some have said W&R will require.

Broadway Square, at 11th and Broadway, is 12-stories and 290,000+ feet of space. Imagine that building at 13th and Grand, and the rest of the block parking garage, and retail space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1014784 ... a=!3m1!1e3
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:26 pm
kboish wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm I guess it could be a 5-story, 1000 space garage w/ a 12 story building on top. That wouldn't surprise me.
In the EEZ presentation, their attorney said it's projected to be up to 15 floors (including the parking garage).
Seems like 140 million for relatively small building is off. Something is not adding up.
Probably seems high because it includes the cost of a fairly large parking garage.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Probably seems high because it includes the cost of a fairly large parking garage.
I guess so. This just seems so underwhelming. It's a nice project for downtown infill, but the building is so small that is will hardly be noticed unless standing in front of it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

There’s absolutely no reason the Bolling building will be torn down in the foreseeable future. In fact, I’d be willing to say that, of kc’s midcentury modern buildings, it’s one of the least likely to ever be demolished
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 pm There’s absolutely no reason the Bolling building will be torn down in the foreseeable future. In fact, I’d be willing to say that, of kc’s midcentury modern buildings, it’s one of the least likely to ever be demolished
Unless that's where they put the baseball stadium
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Rabble wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:24 pmUnless that's where they put the baseball stadium
Stranger things have happened
Last edited by TheLastGentleman on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

If 12-15 stories for $140M is accurate, then I think the shorter proposal for 13th and Grand could be a likely fit.

Copaken Brooks doesn't seem to have renderings of that option on their website any more, but they do have this description:
This iconic building would consist of a 10-story, 320,000 square feet – including 270,000 square feet of office/hotel and 50,000 square feet of retail. It would also include 1,300 below-grade parking spaces
So if parking is moved above grade, it might fall in the 12-17 story range.

With the rumors of $200M and the original description of a skyline changing building, perhaps they were seriously considering the twisty tower proposal for 13th and Grand, but now it looks like the squatty, full-block building may be more likely.

Edit: I found this rendering in an article from 2016. This looks like 10-12 stories of office on top of a 4-5 story podium. I remembering seeing a different rendering, but I can't seem to find it now.

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

This really is underwhelming considering all the built-up suspense and articles in the star and business journal.

I guess it's better than them going to another suburb.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

More Updates from Kevin Collison:
The Enhanced Enterprise Zone Board endorsed the property tax abatement recommended for the Waddell & Reed development, the recommendation will now go to the Kansas City Council for consideration.

During a presentation, attorney David Frantze, who represents the firm, said the total project value is $140 million and 250,000 square feet of office would be built on top of a 1,000 space garage. Total structure, including garage, would be up to 15 stories. It would be completed by early 2022.

Frantze estimated the city would gain a net $800,000 in earnings taxes the first year. He also told the EEZ board that Mayor Quinton Lucas supports the recommended tax incentive plan.

The attorney also said the tenant will be paying about $40 per square foot rent, almost double the $21 per square foot currently paid for Class A office space in downtown. Frantze said project should drive up office rents downtown, making it more financially attractive for new projects to be built.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I thought that the 13th/Grand site already had a TIF approved and the previous council activated that TIF (which was set to otherwise expire). So, how could they get an abatement on the property too? Unless they are foregoing the TIF? Or, that means 13th/Grand is not the site.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

EVERYONE! I would love to see a 50-story building too.

Not to be a dick, but these things take time!

Six months ago; there had been ZERO concrete plans for office development. ..Only a few crude renderings and pie-in-the-sky talk.

Today, the urban center has THREE substantial developments; engineering in-work; zoning approvals in-place. The "Strata" plan is a public finance land-grab; but that'll come together. Too much invested already and momentum is building; with high-latency product delivery.

Thank W&R for the vision and the commitment! They will be a catalyst for that eventual 50 story building.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kenrbnj wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 pm EVERYONE! I would love to see a 50-story building too.

Six months ago; there had been ZERO concrete plans for office development. ..Only a few crude renderings and pie-in-the-sky talk.

Today, the urban center has THREE substantial developments; engineering in-work; zoning approvals in-place. The "Strata" plan is a public finance land-grab; but that'll come together. Too much invested already and momentum is building; with high-latency product delivery.

Thank W&R for the vision and the commitment! They will be a catalyst for that eventual 50 story building.
Lol. Vision and commitment. They're incentive seekers proposing a parking podium. I will welcome them, but I don't have to celebrate them.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:42 pm
kenrbnj wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 pm EVERYONE! I would love to see a 50-story building too.

Lol. Vision and commitment. They're incentive seekers proposing a parking podium. I will welcome them, but I don't have to celebrate them.
Vision: They are the second big local company to move back downtown in 20 years.

Commitment: Waddell and Reed will be paying over $40 per SQFT. Even with incentives, their new building will be the most expensive office space in KC per SQFT. Despite being short, the numbers indicate their new digs are going to be a trophy property of a level far above HR Block’s
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The problem is that these low rise buildings will take premium locations that could then not be used for actual high rises or nice demand and density continues to increase in future years. I have to think we’ll have some regret losing these prime spots.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 pm The problem is that these low rise buildings will take premium locations that could then not be used for actual high rises or nice demand and density continues to increase in future years. I have to think we’ll have some regret losing these prime spots.
This is also one of my arguments against a downtown stadium
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 pm The problem is that these low rise buildings will take premium locations that could then not be used for actual high rises or nice demand and density continues to increase in future years. I have to think we’ll have some regret losing these prime spots.
It’s sat empty for many years. Other lots around downtown have also sat empty for many years. Id rather build something small than continue waiting many years for something big to get built.

By the time we run out of space around 2200, I am sure there will be plenty of other problems to worry about.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are plenty of other places to build tall office buildings. Kansas City doesn't grow that fast.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would have preferred they built this combined with spec, but we can't expect companies to produce spec office. It's not their fault we have shitty developers.

I do expect high design standards though if they take a lucrative lot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Would yo7u be bothered if downtown fills up and companies start looking east to build new buildings?

The real premium locations are 15 minutes closer for people who ride the bus.