Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by GRID »

^ The city should push this hard in return for the incentives being handed out. Get as much as possible in return for such a large public subsidy. W&R should be only a part of a much larger project that would not happen otherwise.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:53 pm
KCLover wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:50 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:46 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline

skyscraper?
In the article, "According to the documents, the company does not plan to develop its own building but instead lease space from a developer."

So probably a Multi-tenant tower. Guessing they will build much more than just space for W&R since there is increasing demand.
Right, with a tenant of this size signed, a developer could easily build a 400-800k sq ft tower which would likly be in the 25-40 story range. But everybody has only been saying it will be a tower less than 20 floors. Guess time will tell, but this would be a great opportunity to get a large class A new construction multi tenant tower up. Then W&R can put their name on it even if only occupying 25-50% of it.
13th Grand currently has 21K floor plates. WR taking 50% gives you 29 floors, 33% 42 floors, 25% 57 floors. IMHO. Residential/Hotel should be added to the tower to add height and to take advantage of that large parking garage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Given they've made a specific effort to change the description from 'recreate the skyline' to 'add to the skyline' may mean they are now not intending a multi-function building if even a bit taller for another tenant. But agree if incentives are involved, the City should push for maximizing the project.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Fencing surrounds Baltimore and 14th street parcel.

If something is built here, would it be possible for Cordish to be the developer? Another user had mentioned a Cordish officer tower before....

» Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am
LastGent: I feel like it would make sense for cordish to develop the block just south of the p&l building. However, I don’t think they own it right now.
DColeKC: I know there some talks about that building being acquired by Cordish. Not sure what the results were
» Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Langosta: Does Cordish plan their own Class-A office building?
DColeKC: Yes. Other Markets include:

St Louis: http://www.stlballparkvillage.com/work
Philly: https://pattisonplaceoffices.com
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:57 am Image

If something is built here, would it be possible for Cordish to be the developer? Another user had mentioned a Cordish officer tower before....

» Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am
LastGent: I feel like it would make sense for cordish to develop the block just south of the p&l building. However, I don’t think they own it right now.
DColeKC: I know there some talks about that building being acquired by Cordish. Not sure what the results were
» Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:56 pm
Langosta: Does Cordish plan their own Class-A office building?
DColeKC: Yes. Other Markets include:

St Louis: http://www.stlballparkvillage.com/work
Philly: https://pattisonplaceoffices.com
You could be onto something....
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

langosta wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:57 am Image

The 1400 Baltimore building was built as the IBM downtown field office in 1957 (additional offices were at 301 E. Armour) until they consolidated to Crown Center. Back in the day, IBM had offices in nearly every metro, servicing their ubiquitous mainframe computer systems.

After IBM moved, KCP&L rented the building in 1978 for their IT department because of space limitations in the old KCP&L tower. The utility later moved out of both buildings in 1989. I believe it has been vacant for the past 30 years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Asbestos?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Planned Waddell & Reed building could be up to 12 stories, total cost $140M, occupy 1st Q 2022, per EEZ board presentation. Mayor has endosed incentives. #cityscenekc

https://twitter.com/kckansascity
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 13th and Grand site would also be an opportunity to create a large retail space for an Urban Target if the project becomes multi-use. Another needed retail tenant would be a always-open gasless Quik Trip.

Having Waddell & Reed back downtown might signal to other companies that it's time to go downtown.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

$140 million 12-story building. Really?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:07 pm The 13th and Grand site would also be an opportunity to create a large retail space for an Urban Target if the project becomes multi-use. Another needed retail tenant would be a always-open gasless Quik Trip.

Having Waddell & Reed back downtown might signal to other companies that it's time to go downtown.
Yes and yes
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

17 stories was disappointing, but 12 stories is absolutely laughable. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great something is getting built, but that height is more appropriate for the crossroads than the loop
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I guess it could be a 5-story, 1000 space garage w/ a 12 story building on top. That wouldn't surprise me.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If the city wants taller buildings, put a height minimum to put corporate signage on the top of a building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:01 pm Planned Waddell & Reed building could be up to 12 stories, total cost $140M, occupy 1st Q 2022, per EEZ board presentation. Mayor has endosed incentives. #cityscenekc

https://twitter.com/kckansascity
EEZ Board recommends approval of property tax abatement for proposed $140M Waddell & Reed HQ.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hate to be too disappointed but 12 stories is kind of disappointing and I hope it doesn't go to 13th and grand. Baltimore site seems better suited for that height
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It depends on the floor plates. a 12-story building could have a lot of sq. footage if it's block wide.

The Bolling Federal Building, at 18-stories, has more square footage than One Kansas City Place--our tallest building.

Measured by square footage, the 1.2 million square foot structure is the largest building in Downtown Kansas City.
By comparison, the 42-story One Kansas City Place, Missouri's tallest building, only has 760,00 square feet.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/12185 ... ity-mo-usa
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm It depends on the floor plates. a 12-story building could have a lot of sq. footage if it's block wide.

The Bolling Federal Building, at 18-stories, has more square footage than One Kansas City Place--our tallest building.

Measured by square footage, the 1.2 million square foot structure is the largest building in Downtown Kansas City.
By comparison, the 42-story One Kansas City Place, Missouri's tallest building, only has 760,00 square feet.

The Federal Building and VA Hospital won't live forever. The VA Hospital especially will need to be replaced in the next 15-20 years. If we see either are rebuilt, I'd hope we see it happen downtown
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

kboish wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm I guess it could be a 5-story, 1000 space garage w/ a 12 story building on top. That wouldn't surprise me.
In the EEZ presentation, their attorney said it's projected to be up to 15 floors (including the parking garage).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:14 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm It depends on the floor plates. a 12-story building could have a lot of sq. footage if it's block wide.

The Federal Building and VA Hospital won't live forever. The VA Hospital especially will need to be replaced in the next 15-20 years. If we see either rebuilt, I'd hope we see it happen downtown
Pretty sure the Bolling Federal Building has gone through extensive and very expensive renovations over the past ten years, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.