OFFICIAL - LuxLiving 'The Wonderland' (formerly Faultless Linen)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - LuxLiving 'The Wonderland' (formerly Faultless Linen)

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'm sure the current craziness in the market might lead to a few things getting delayed. But I read that article and the developer had been sitting on the proposal for 3 years with no traction. They cited that other projects took priority, the Westport project for example. I think it was more of this specific developer and not a mark on DT KC development. It also sounds like it might sell quicker to new developer.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:18 pm I'm sure the current craziness in the market might lead to a few things getting delayed. But I read that article and the developer had been sitting on the proposal for 3 years with no traction. They cited that other projects took priority, the Westport project for example. I think it was more of this specific developer and not a mark on DT KC development. It also sounds like it might sell quicker to new developer.
IIRC, this site was possibly in need of major remediation.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

that makes sense as well, Much easy to grab that "low hanging fruit" them have to bother with a bunch of regulated cleanup. Hopefully the next buyer will be better prepared for that in their development. It's a prime spot
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:15 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:18 pm I'm sure the current craziness in the market might lead to a few things getting delayed. But I read that article and the developer had been sitting on the proposal for 3 years with no traction. They cited that other projects took priority, the Westport project for example. I think it was more of this specific developer and not a mark on DT KC development. It also sounds like it might sell quicker to new developer.
IIRC, this site was possibly in need of major remediation.
Yes, having been an industrial dry cleaning site there was a pretty sizeable chemical bloom under the site. Perhaps that's why there is interest in adaptive reuse, which might disturb soil a lot less than a teardown with new construction.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A permit was applied for today for this site...

A company called Lux Living, which has many apt projects in STL (mostly Washington Ave & CWE), is looking for project plan approval on a 228-unit apt.

Details in the permit are scarce.

KCDowntown
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Opus Development (formerly Faultless Linen)

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm A permit was applied for today for this site...

A company called Lux Living, which has many apt projects in STL (mostly Washington Ave & CWE), is looking for project plan approval on a 228-unit apt.

Details in the permit are scarce.

KCDowntown
I’m well aware of this company. They do quite a lot here in STL. Wrapping up the Chelsea Apartment complex on Pershing and have The Hudson (On Debaliviere) and SoHo (Soulard) under construction.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Some of their STL stuff

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:09 pm Some of their STL stuff

Updated rendering of that project, which is known at the Hudson on Debaliviere.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm on thursday's council agenda:
170192 Approving an Industrial Development Plan for Opus Development Company, LLC
for the purpose of the acquisition and construction of a commercial multifamily apartment complex
and a related parking garage, located at 1923
Broadway Boulevard, Kansas City, Missouri; authorizing and approving
various agreements for the purpose of setting forth covenants, agreements
and obligations of the City and Opus Development Company, LLC or its
affiliate or designee; authorizing the issuance of taxable industrial
development revenue bonds in a maximum aggregate principal amount not to
exceed $40,000,000; authorizing and approving certain other documents; and
authorizing certain other actions in connection with the issuance of said bonds.
The new plan is the same size as the original OPUS proposal. I wonder if they can utilize the incentives that were already approved for that one.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I would not be surprised if LuxLiving ended up proposing more apartment buildings in the area. Reason I believe this is because in STL, they don't just do one building in a neighborhood. They do multiple (Soulard: Steelyard and SoHo [Bordeaux is in Lafayette Square but close enough to Soulard]. Debalivere Place: Tribeca, Chelsea, and Hudson with some other purchases). Whether or not this assumption holds true in KC remains to be seen.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Don't expect any boing with this one
Current elevations show solid brick walls with little to no ornamentation on the north end of the west facade as well as the north elevation. Section 88-425-07 “Screening of Parking Garages” requires parking garages at the ground level to be screened with ground-floor retail or residential. The area plan states the following in regards to screening of structured parking: The exterior finish and architectural articulation should enhance the facade design, complement surrounding buildings and screen the parking area. Blank walls on parking structures are discouraged, particularly on Corridor Streets.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:13 pm Don't expect any boing with this one
Current elevations show solid brick walls with little to no ornamentation on the north end of the west facade as well as the north elevation. Section 88-425-07 “Screening of Parking Garages” requires parking garages at the ground level to be screened with ground-floor retail or residential. The area plan states the following in regards to screening of structured parking: The exterior finish and architectural articulation should enhance the facade design, complement surrounding buildings and screen the parking area. Blank walls on parking structures are discouraged, particularly on Corridor Streets.
In some ways, it seems similar to the OPUS proposal. The elevation changes are probably to blame for this. The only major difference, at least at this point, is the "solid brick wall on the north end of the west facade". The OPUS plans included retail space there.

Going down 19th Terrace (north side of the building), the elevation change there resulted in OPUS having a solid brick wall as you moved down that side. However, windows started at the corner of 19th Terrace and Broadway and went straight back.

I'll wait to make a full judgement on this new project when we can all see the elevations and renderings, but for now, it seems to be following some of the choices made by OPUS.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I don't recall Opus ever adding retail to this one. Instead we got art covering the blank wall.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:41 pm I don't recall Opus ever adding retail to this one. Instead we got art covering the blank wall.
Whoops. I didn’t look at the floor plans correctly. The corner was the lobby.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

We have a day and evening rendering along with elevations. Seems to follow the design style set by the SoHo and McKenzie in St. Louis (two of their projects).

CityScene KC Story: https://cityscenekc.com/st-louis-develo ... rossroads/

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

City already told them that they must redo the blank walls.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:20 pm City already told them that they must redo the blank walls.
Especially along the east, which faces the bulk of the neighborhood.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Is that even a retail space? Or is it just the entrance?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:57 pm Is that even a retail space? Or is it just the entrance?
I'm not personally concerned whether it's retail or not, just that it's transparent.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:54 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:20 pm City already told them that they must redo the blank walls.
Especially along the east, which faces the bulk of the neighborhood.
IMHO east isn’t much of an issue. Half is blocked by and existing structure and the other half fronts a surface lot. North is my major concern.