OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - East Village

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is an item on the PIEA agenda for this Thursday related to East Village. It is an amendment to the original plan area. It appears to add some parcels to the plan (although I'm not sure what was in the original plan area and what exactly the changes are).

But here is an interesting tidbit: the agreement is with Block 66 LLC, which is Van Trust and Swope, and an Admiral QOZB, LLC. QOZB stands for Qualified Opportunity Zone Business (East Village being an Opportunity Zone) and the Admiral appears to be Admiral Capital Group, so named because of co-founder David "The Admiral" Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs. It is a real estate investment group that is utilizing a strategy of investing in Opportunity Zones.

So, it looks like Van Trust and Swope are bringing in Admiral for some extra capital and maybe a larger plan. I don't see any details on the plan, but it may be something to keep an eye on.

Here is the PIEA resolution:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6occw8fv6a31 ... wntown.pdf
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

In a fantasy world I'd love to see that area become a skyscraper district like hudson yards in NYC. They have a perfectly clean slate to work with and it would all overlook the city hall park beautifully
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

CityScene KC had an article saying Des Moines might be a good East Village Model

https://cityscenekc.com/des-moines-post ... wntown-kc/

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Within real estate, it (Admiral Capital Group) invests between $10 million and $20 million per opportunity. It prefers to invest in properties valued between $15 million and $70 million.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If a genie gave me three wishes, one would be to get rid of the East Village name for that neighborhood.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does anyone have any hope that what they propose building here won't be complete trash? Please make me feel better.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It's astounding that EVERY part of the central business district from the river to 31st, West Side to Troost has seen new development over the past decade while this section of downtown continues to languish. Wonder what would've happened if the area had remained under the hands of multiple property owners instead of what we have now.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Several of the few remaining legacy buildings in the area are on the list, notably 817 Cherry, 612 E 9th, and 703 E 10th. Probably ought to start holding candlelight vigils for those structures.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think the council doesn’t have the stomach to heavily subsidize a large development with taxpayer funds like they did P&L. I’d say it would have been developed by now if they did. Of course, it’s probably best that it wait since a non-subsidized or less-subsidized structure is more likely as we continue the growth of DT. We’re getting closer!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Generally, think we are near the end of needing subsidizes in the DT area. I don't think we are close to ending TIF's/abatements. Rents aren't rising fast enough to keep up with construction cost.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:43 am Generally, think we are near the end of needing subsidizes in the DT area. I don't think we are close to ending TIF's/abatements. Rents aren't rising fast enough to keep up with construction cost.
Increase supply will do that. Keep the incentives and prices will actually decrease. Generally, I’d like to see subsidizes switch to attracting business. Depending on your point of view, Hotel Bravo should be the last hotel subsidized or we should already be done with that segment. Requiring a mixed use component with any incentive with office as a required piece would be a great way to grow a segment that hasn’t really started to return DT.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Rather have them and use them wisely than not have the option.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

The East Village in Des Moines that Collison writes about reminds me more of our North Loop than of our East Village. The north loop is an empty space sandwiched between two active neighborhoods, just like how the place in des moines is sandwiched between the capitol and the CBD. Our east village is on the edge and doesn't lead anywhere.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am Our east village is on the edge and doesn't lead anywhere.
Huh? It's between the Crossroads and Columbus Park, the CBD and the Zone of Compassion.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

taxi wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am Our east village is on the edge and doesn't lead anywhere.
Huh? It's between the Crossroads and Columbus Park, the CBD and the Zone of Compassion.
Missing the /s?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

As a serious reply, there’s plenty of bus routes that let people bypass the immediate neighborhoods to the west
There’s not much to walk to in a general sense

And given all the housing in the area absolutely is low income with public services for the needy, calling it a zone of compassion isn’t the worst name.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

taxi wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pmHuh? It's between the Crossroads and Columbus Park, the CBD and the Zone of Compassion.
Sure, it's adjacent to those things, but does it lead to them? Not really. It's isolated from most CBD development by the civic mall, is connected to Columbus park by a single crummy street that has to tunnel under a freeway, is connected to the crossroads only by two 500+ ft long bridges over a freeway, and is of course bordered to the east by a wide freeway ditch, on the other side of which is an area about as ravaged as the east village itself
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Sure, it's adjacent to those things, but does it lead to them? Not really. It's isolated from most CBD development by the civic mall, is connected to Columbus park by a single crummy street that has to tunnel under a freeway, is connected to the crossroads only by two 500+ ft long bridges over a freeway, and is of course bordered to the east by a wide freeway ditch, on the other side of which is an area about as ravaged as the east village itself
I tend to agree with this, which is why the East Village (yes let's please change this name at some point) is well suited to a large scale, clean slate "island" type development a la Hudson Yards, or a stadium, or mixed-use anchored with large retail (Target?) and parking. It won't have to get the small urban design details just right to be successful in that location.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:43 pm
Within real estate, it (Admiral Capital Group) invests between $10 million and $20 million per opportunity. It prefers to invest in properties valued between $15 million and $70 million.
It doesn’t sound like the new partner would invest in more than 1 or 2 buildings within the East Loop development.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

12th Street between Troost and Charlotte and Charlotte between 11th and 13th will be converted from one-way streets in the coming week. The new westbound lane on 12th will be bus-only for the new East Village Transit Center.