OFFICIAL - McCown Gordon HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

OFFICIAL - McCown Gordon HQ

Post by tat2kc »

a construction company, currently located on Admiral, wants to either relocate to another building on Admiral, or more out to western Wyco.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... st=b_ln_hl

It seems that the owner is making an obvious ploy to play both cities against each other, with no allegience or loyalty to anyone. This type of behavior sucks! :evil:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KC construction company playing both sides of the state line

Post by KCPowercat »

that's it, I'm looking to buy my first house/condo, I am officially putting myself up for bids for tax breaks.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Come on KCMO, give up one company to KCK, its not like we are Joco and steal companies all the time. We need something out here, especially if they dont build the legends.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Can't we assume that a CEO dumb enough to tell the BUSINESS JOURNAL that his decision rests with the amount of incentives he's offered isn't much of a business person. Tell ya what, if this guy ever wants to play poker, call me first. He's the type to have a few drinks and then start talking to each of his cards...BY NAME.

NICE WORK!

Not only that, but the locations named aren't even comparable. Either 4th & Admiral or somewhere near the race track. Let's see, either downtown or WyCo is convenient for clients and employees..not both. Either there's a strategic reason to be in WyCo or Dowwntown..not both. That is, unless commercial construction services are spur of the moment purchases induced by hours of furniture shopping!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Whatever.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The company is just playing the game as the rules are written. Until demand that our governments change the rules, it will continue happening.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

dangerboy wrote:The company is just playing the game as the rules are written. Until demand that our governments change the rules, it will continue happening.
Most just have the sense not to show their hand in the press.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

McCown Gordon Construction Company will be relocating their HQ. They are looking at the downtown loop and near the Speedway. I think we should encourage them to move to the loop, which would add even more boost to downtown.
President: brettg@mccowngordon.com
[quote]
McCown Gordon ponders new site
Both states court construction firm
By KEVIN COLLISON
The Kansas City Star

McCown Gordon Construction, a fast-growing Kansas City company, is looking for a new home, and its options couldn't be farther apart.

The firm wants to leave its leased space in the U.S. Bank building at Armour Boulevard and Main Street and either renovate an 85-year-old former auto dealership at 422 Admiral Blvd. inside the downtown loop for its headquarters or build new on 18 acres it owns near Kansas Speedway in western Wyandotte County.

“The real story behind this is we are growing quickly, outgrown our space here, and need to find a new home and make it our corporate headquarters,â€
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

They are already in the loop. They want the city to pay them to stay.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

No they arent:
"The firm wants to leave its leased space in the U.S. Bank building at Armour Boulevard and Main Street and either renovate an 85-year-old former auto dealership at 422 Admiral Blvd. inside the downtown loop for its headquarters or build new on 18 acres it owns near Kansas Speedway in western Wyandotte County. "

Also:
"We prefer Kansas City, Mo., but at the same time we want to use good business sense and look at the entire situation."
and
"McCown said his company would like to be part of that revival. It needs about 12,000 square feet to accommodate current operations, but the vacant three-story Holland Nameplate building would provide room for growth. It would cost about $1.5 million to renovate it, he estimated. There are about 30 parking spaces available on the site. "
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Its simple, replace the parking lot with a 3 floor garage. (let the city do it)
And possibly add a little more office space on the lot.
I just assume its a lot since its only 30 spaces.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Oops, i read the addy wrong.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Thats ok ;)
We have several positives, over 10 architectural and construction companies already downtown. They want to be a part of downtown revivatilization and they want to stay in KCMO.
Show public support and let city hall deal with it then I think we can say their coming downtown.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Slappy the Wang wrote:
dangerboy wrote:The company is just playing the game as the rules are written. Until demand that our governments change the rules, it will continue happening.
Most just have the sense not to show their hand in the press.
I think we should all realize that by the time we read it in the news, most likely a decision has already been made.

I think a move to the loop is a great opportunity not only for MG but also for that area of the loop. We are seeing some great progress on the northern side of the loop that has had little fan fair. The Admiral blvd. corridor is primed for some exciting developments.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCDevin wrote:Thats ok ;)
We have several positives, over 10 architectural and construction companies already downtown. They want to be a part of downtown revivatilization and they want to stay in KCMO.
Show public support and let city hall deal with it then I think we can say their coming downtown.
Thats right KCMO has over 10 architectural firms, How many does KCK have? Im not positive, but my guess is 0. Im going out on a limb, but screw downtown. KCK has sat over here and rotted for ever, meanwhile downtown is successful. Even without this firm, it will still be successful. We don't have a DST or a H&R Block or anything, and you have the nerve to say that KCMO needs this more than KCK.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

... but would it benefit the company more? No. That is my point, downtown is more likely with the number of architectural companies, construction companies, etc... It will also be one of the hottest spots in the metro outside Crown Center & The Plaza. I am positive they are going to choose downtown, they aren't wanting to help the city as much as they would want to make money and grow bigger.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCK and downtown KC both need help...and a lot of it.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Plus, they already own the land in KCK for the potential headquarters. That is gonna figure in their decision.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

but I think building new is alot more costly than moving to a new building
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Probably, but they are a construction company. They probably get a 'this is my company' discount or something.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin