3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: 3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Post by Critical_Mass »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 pm New design. I wish it was as tall as the Cold Storage Lofts though. :?

so, is the larger rendering more recent?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Its been years, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this project originally sold as a mixed-use transportation hub? To me, it looks like it has morphed into solely a suburban office building project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 pm New design. I wish it was as tall as the Cold Storage Lofts though. :?

so, is the larger rendering more recent?
I’m not sure. The “new rendering” is certainly more detailed than those released previously. The structure portrayed in the “new rendering” appears to be more in line with other CLT buildings (CLT offices specifically).
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

mgh7676 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pmsolely a suburban office building project.
The good transparency on the ground floor and lack of major setbacks are pretty urban features. What's so suburban about it to you?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am Image
Looks more like a hotel now because of the windows or maybe they are doing that to make it fit in with the surroundings better. Either way, good to see some more height added to this.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgh7676 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm Its been years, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this project originally sold as a mixed-use transportation hub? To me, it looks like it has morphed into solely a suburban office building project.
The transit aspect is supposed to be on the NW corner and north side.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Maybe I am misunderstanding this project - we've seen several rounds of renderings at this point and know Briarcliff is paying an ongoing fee for the development rights. But is this happening? When? Is the project still "proposed" until a tenant(s) comes along?

This will fill a massive hole on the northeast side of market area - really hope it comes to fruition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 am Maybe I am misunderstanding this project - we've seen several rounds of renderings at this point and know Briarcliff is paying an ongoing fee for the development rights. But is this happening? When? Is the project still "proposed" until a tenant(s) comes along?

This will fill a massive hole on the northeast side of market area - really hope it comes to fruition.
I would imagine that it’s a combination of both. 2 things lead me to believe that the project is happening sooner rather than later.

1. The project recently started going through the steps of getting incentives.
2. KCADC has been meeting with the developers
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Here is just the building without the smaller render in front.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

You have to wonder if Briarcliff's announcement of a new office building in Riverside wasn't the blow that made the KCATA shut the process down.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:25 am You have to wonder if Briarcliff's announcement of a new office building in Riverside wasn't the blow that made the KCATA shut the process down.
The agreement with Briarcliff was terminated in February.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I have no idea of when Briarcliff began talking internally about a new building in Riverside.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:52 am
missingkc wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:25 am You have to wonder if Briarcliff's announcement of a new office building in Riverside wasn't the blow that made the KCATA shut the process down.
The agreement with Briarcliff was terminated in February.
I think "expired" is the correct word.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

I'm thinking "expired when the KCATA declined to renew or continue with Briarcliff" is correcter.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

A new RFP was published seeking development proposals for this site, as well as 12th & Charlotte and 31st & Troost.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 am A new RFP was published seeking development proposals for this site, as well as 12th & Charlotte and 31st & Troost.
Teams where selected but then nothing ever happened after that. IMHO, EPC shouldn't have been allowed to win another RM site after sitting on others for years.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/RideKCTransit/statu ... 8790387716

KCATA will sell 3rd & Grand to 3G Development LLC, who will develop the site as mixed use including 10% affordable MF units.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCATA will sell 3rd & Grand to 3G Development LLC, who will develop the site as mixed use including 10% affordable MF units.

The Multi-Family Component may consist of approximately 200 units and amenities. Units may include studio, one bedroom and two bedroom units apportioned as required to meet market rate demand and conditions. Amenities may include salon, club room, pool and fitness area. 0.95 parking spaces per unit. 4 parking spaces for KCATA Park and Ride.
The Multi-Modal Station will be an approximately 500 square foot transportation hub, public plaza and associated pedestrian connections that provides operator restrooms, an exchange and transfer point for the streetcar, buses, bikes and potential future commuter rail that may converge at the Project Property. The Developer will identify the Multi-Modal Station Property,
CORE/0832570.0071/160519672.4
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

4 spaces for park and ride. That doesn’t seem right