Downtown Parking Enforcement

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Downtown Parking Enforcement

Post by loftguy »

The city of Kansas City has turned over the responsibility for parking enforcement to the Kansas City Police Department.

KCPD was historically responsible for this service, but somehow the city took it over a dozen years ago. The city is not really equipped to administer this service and the funding for it was nearly non-existent. As result, downtown parking ended up being mostly unenforced and people parked with relative impunity.

Along with the PD taking over again, the patrol staffing has been expanded 5 fold.

Free parking has ended. If you are in a two hour zone, you better be back to your car in 1:59, or be prepared to pay just shy of $40. If it's a no parking area, you really don't want to park there. It' will cost you $70, or maybe the cost and hassle of a tow.

The paradigm has shifted. From the river to 31st and State Line to Troost/Paseo, your car needs to obey.

Oh, and if we park illegally anywhere along the streetcar route our vehicles will never be seen again...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Parking Enforcement

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Does KC have any on-street ticket dispensing parking machines that take cards yet?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Who should one contact about a vehicle parked in violation of time or space, and what is the best way to do so?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote:Does KC have any on-street ticket dispensing parking machines that take cards yet?
The have set up a couple pilot ones. One is on walnut from 11th to 12th.

All meters can take cards with that parking app they partnered with.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Eon Blue wrote:Who should one contact about a vehicle parked in violation of time or space, and what is the best way to do so?
I believe they have said the kcpd non emergency number.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I recommend downloading the cities 311 app. Quickest, easiest way to get something reported. They are very responsive.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:Who should one contact about a vehicle parked in violation of time or space, and what is the best way to do so?

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

loftguy wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

Thanks, I thought that was right and wanted to confirm.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote:Does KC have any on-street ticket dispensing parking machines that take cards yet?
I think on Walnut between 11th and 12th. Also, you can use the Park Mobile app at all downtown meters.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I hadn't heard of the Park Mobile app. I guess that's nice. Seems to me it's probably better to have a piece of paper with an expiration time on it visible on your dash than to trust a potentially flaky app running on a potentially flaky device running on a potentially flaky mobile network connected to a potentially flaky internet, etc etc. But at least there are options.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

smh wrote:
I think on Walnut between 11th and 12th. Also, you can use the Park Mobile app at all downtown meters.
There are also some of those machines along Locust between 10th & 11th.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That is a rather nice feature.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

pash wrote: The great thing about the app is that you can top-up your time without having to return to your car. Well, at least you can in other cities—I haven't used it here yet. Does anybody know whether that feature's enabled in KC?
On a unrelated note to this topic, we can go 2-for-2 on "useful Britishisms" in this thread by noting that everyone needs to call the ticket machines on Walnut and Locust pay and display machines.

Back on topic, I'm surprised that pay and display ticket systems haven't caught on more broadly in the US...my best guess is due to the usual inertia/laziness.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:
mean wrote:I hadn't heard of the Park Mobile app. I guess that's nice. Seems to me it's probably better to have a piece of paper with an expiration time on it visible on your dash than to trust a potentially flaky app running on a potentially flaky device running on a potentially flaky mobile network connected to a potentially flaky internet, etc etc. But at least there are options.
The great thing about the app is that you can top-up your time without having to return to your car. Well, at least you can in other cities—I haven't used it here yet. Does anybody know whether that feature's enabled in KC?
Yes it sends you a reminder a few minutes before expiration and has the ability to top up time.

Also, it really isn't flaky. It works quite well.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

smh wrote:
pash wrote:
mean wrote:I hadn't heard of the Park Mobile app. I guess that's nice. Seems to me it's probably better to have a piece of paper with an expiration time on it visible on your dash than to trust a potentially flaky app running on a potentially flaky device running on a potentially flaky mobile network connected to a potentially flaky internet, etc etc. But at least there are options.
The great thing about the app is that you can top-up your time without having to return to your car. Well, at least you can in other cities—I haven't used it here yet. Does anybody know whether that feature's enabled in KC?
Yes it sends you a reminder a few minutes before expiration and has the ability to top up time.

Also, it really isn't flaky. It works quite well.
Agreed, tried it out once when it was brand new. It worked very well!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Why in God's name don't they put in more meters?
you're welcome to come help me convince the people who own property and businesses down here that it's in their best interest. been tryin'...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:
pash wrote:Why in God's name don't they put in more meters?
you're welcome to come help me convince the people who own property and businesses down here that it's in their best interest. been tryin'...
You've got Crossroads restaurant owners who are livid that their employees are getting ticketed outside their business for parking throughout the day in two hour zones.

We have a real learning curve to get around, when it comes to parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's to the point where someone should just write a dummys guide to urban parking. Let's levelset everybody to get on the same page.