Downtown Parking Enforcement

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Downtown Parking Enforcement

Post by staubio »

People are STARTING to accept that you can't say "this is about the success of our businesses" and oppose parking meters are time limits in the same breathe. The on-street parking problem is overstated right now because every time-limited spot had people blissfully parking all day in them, without fear of citation. Those days are over, and the transition will be an effort in education. When you have the Arts District Garage at PAC offering $3/day parking, we just have to shift some behaviors.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

We need to alter the view that walking is a hardship.

To suggest walking 4-8 blocks in Kansas City is to generally be met with an incredulous stare.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:We need to alter the view that walking is a hardship.

To suggest walking 4-8 blocks in Kansas City is to generally be met with an incredulous stare.
"Is it safe?" - Moms.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:

"Is it safe?" - Moms.

.............. apparently only if you look both ways when crossing the street.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:

"Is it safe?" - Moms.
We can't let kids play at the park by themselves, we sure as heck won't let them walk 4-8 blocks downtown where they might run into people different than us.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...unless you are shopping on the plaza.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Would have people complaining about a two block, or little more, walk to get to the ticket booth at Bartle. We would laugh since they would have a much longer walk to see all of the car show (just think of the number of blocks Bartle Hall has for size) or any other large show.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:

a great example for distance is shopping at walmart. walking halfway across the parking lot to the far corner of grocery is approx equal to 3 blocks downtown. someone shopping most of the store can easily do 10-15 blocks worth just inside walmart
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:

a great example for distance is shopping at walmart. walking halfway across the parking lot to the far corner of grocery is approx equal to 3 blocks downtown. someone shopping most of the store can easily do 10-15 blocks worth just inside walmart
Truman sports complex as well.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

plans are underway to seek a vendor for parking enforcement inside the streetcar TDD. current enforcement is exclusively KCPD and is not going well.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:plans are underway to seek a vendor for parking enforcement inside the streetcar TDD. current enforcement is exclusively KCPD and is not going well.
So streets off of Main will be included? Depending on their speed of response running Postmates deliveries might get much more difficult for me.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:plans are underway to seek a vendor for parking enforcement inside the streetcar TDD. current enforcement is exclusively KCPD and is not going well.
So streets off of Main will be included? Depending on their speed of response running Postmates deliveries might get much more difficult for me.
yes. here's the TDD map: http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... DD-Map.jpg
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Has anyone seen a ticketed car downtown in the last several months? Walking in the blocks near my building at 12th and Main, I often see cars (or more frequently tradesmen trucks) parked all day at an expired metered spot or all day at a two-hour timed spot. It's often the same vehicles day after day.

Feels like the city is not doing even minimal parking enforcement in the CBD. Quick, costly parking tickets are at least as important as meter revenue in keeping parking optimally utilized. Parking could easily become a reliable profit center.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Editing to add context...

Today I had to run a lunchtime errand near 10th and Broadway, and as I was in my car already, I drove there. Every car in the metered spots between B'way and Central had an expired meter. I suspect these cars had been there since 9am. I felt foolish feeding the meter seventy-five cents, knowing that is probably more coinage than the rest of the block's meters received all day.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Have you not heard of Parkmobile? I haven't fed a meter in forever.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

herrfrank wrote:Feels like the city is not doing even minimal parking enforcement in the CBD. Quick, costly parking tickets are at least as important as meter revenue in keeping parking optimally utilized. Parking could easily become a reliable profit center.
since enforcement switched back to KCPD, we've seen a dramatic decline. an RFP will be published soon to outsource enforcement -- with a "customer service" focus -- to a third party.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

A private company would hopefully be expected to follow parking code to the letter, with no exceptions since a good portion of code is built for pedestrian safety.

Hopefully this comes with better spot marking that matches code and it's much clearer. Like using incresdrd income to mark spots better over time.

There's very few blocks downtown where parking comes close to matching code. The most common is no parking is allowed within approx 20 feet from the corner (about the length of a F-150). So either the code needs to change or signs moved. I would do both but for many corners put in delivery and service vehicle parking. As numbers increase we need places for UPS to park legally.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Perhaps the city of KCMO should lease its parking infrastructure to a private company, like Alan Lazowski's LAZ parking (Hartford-based but they operate nationwide). The revenue can be substantial. Like one-billion-dollars substantial, for a long-term lease.

Not only does the city need the $$$, but the lack of parking enforcement downtown is so extreme that the entire parking "protocol" paradigm has broken. Tradesmen vehicles hogging 15-minute commercial spots all day (ask the people at Cellar Rat); junk cars left for days in metered spots (not a ticket in sight); scofflaw SUVs blocking hydrants, handicap ramps, butting into intersections.

Time to crack down and raise some serious cash for the city.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Another note:

Chicago makes $200 million per year (this is additional to the many millions they got from Goldman Sachs for the parking infrastructure) on tickets alone.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:58 pm Time to crack down and raise some serious cash for the city.
I saw on their website that KCPD currently has multiple openings for Parking Control Officers, and the Chief is requesting funds to hire even more next year.

So if anyone wants to suit up and get out there to crack down, then now's your chance!

Career Page: http://careers.kcpd.org/Jobs.aspx
Job Description: http://mediaweb.kcpd.org/informant/Park ... 2.2018.pdf