Washington Sq Park between Crown Center/Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Washington Sq Park between Crown Center/Union Station

Post by chaglang »

atticus23 wrote:While this may be naive and pedestrian, instead of invisible buildings and skybridges (yes, I know that is sarcasm), why not build buildings that add to the skyline and make it more dynamic for everyone? Just a thought and/or wish.
Wait, what?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm excited to see what might come of these plans, and hope with an interest like VanTrust involved we may actually see something get built.

I still think the closest, best example of enlivening dead downtown green space can be seen over in STL at City Garden, albeit that was privately funded and endowed if I'm not mistaken. A few basic but attractive water features, tons of quality public art, open, inviting pathways and edges where it meets the street grid. No doubt in Wash Square the Link should somehow be incorporated in an innovative way.

What I REALLY want to see, however is a new master plan, with ideas for financing in place, for Penn Valley Park. It should not only be a well-used, nearby green space and urban forest for downtowners, but a lively central park for the region. But I digress...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

was re-reading the history of the link over the weekend. coverage at the time indicates blame can be laid directly at the feet of union station management, mayor barnes, and dick davis (who was GM of the KCATA at the time). parks didn't want it and insisted on design changes that caused it to go over budget.

you'd need to refund about $10 million to the feds to remove it (may be possible to modify).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Aside from blocking a rather majestic view of Union Station I don't think there is really a need to remove the Link from park at this point. Would be very costly I assume. Yes, no people on the street, etc. etc. but the vast open space between US and CC isn't particularly welcoming, including having to cross both Main and Pershing, which are quite wide here.

I'd just be happy to see it modified somehow (stairway is a great idea, kind of like Minny's plans for a Grand Staircase on Nicollet Ave.) or better incorporated into the redesign/master plan.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:The last streetcar stop will be directly under the Link in the middle of Main Street, won't it? Seems like that spot should go to the top of the list of places to put in another entry/exit if we're having that discussion.
it was moved to the west curb, unfortunately. a new HAWK signal will be installed under the link allowing people to make a safe mid-block crossing.

a northbound stop for an expanded main street line would have a stop in about the same spot as the current northbound MAX shelter, so that would be a front door to the park.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:The last streetcar stop will be directly under the Link in the middle of Main Street, won't it? Seems like that spot should go to the top of the list of places to put in another entry/exit if we're having that discussion.
here's photos of the track layout at Union Station

https://twitter.com/flyingember/status/ ... 00/photo/1
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Presentation of various options for Washington Square Park.

http://www.kcdowntowners.com/blog/2014/ ... talization
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Fang, thanks so much for posting that, very interesting look at the proposals for this space. I hope we're able to see something come to fruition here - just get anything built as it will be better than the existing combo of empty park and parking lot to the north.

I'd like to see as little emphasis on open lawn "green space" as possible - leave that to PVP at some point - and the creation of a destination public space to take in art, water features, gardens, and the surrounding city itself.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am wondering how this new park proposal is going to play with Hallmark / Crown Center property management.

I am assuming that the land trade is with Union Station, and that US would then have the right to develop the new buildings, sell the new parcels, or choose a developer to do it.

Union Station and its' developer would be creating competitive office/residential/retail space across from Crown Center properties.

Since the City would be doing the land trade with Union Station, I wonder if Hallmark/Crown Center will oppose it and try to get the whole idea nixed?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I would think pash is correct. If there is a successful development to their Northwest in addition to the already successful development to their Southeast (union hill)- it seems that would only bolster their own development and likely encourage them to go ahead and fill in the last remaining bit of their land. It may even accelerate their plans to be beat the competition.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree with PV already doing the 'lawn' park thing. Would still like to see Philly's Rittenhouse Square type landscaping shown in first few posts. This park will be at the end of the streetcar line and could attract more CC, US and Liberty Memorial visitors, as well as a great place for downtowner residents to hang out, easily accessible via streetcar or bike.

Landscape the hell out of it in a nicely refined way - low iron gated flower gardens, gazebos, tons and tons of park benches. And then build up the open lot to N with a nice bricked plaza and a massive fountain (facing 1 or 2 new hirise office/residential) that allows street vendors with community tables and maybe hosts small quaint shows.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This came in my email from KC Downtowners...
Look for updates in coming weeks for 16th and Baltimore, 17th and Broadway, 20th and Main, @washsqkc and Beacon Hill
Any insight?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if the Beacon Hill reference is about the proposed grocery store?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:I wonder if the Beacon Hill reference is about the proposed grocery store?
The Beacon Hill reference yesterday seemed to be the ongoing success of the UMKC apartments and single-family home construction. I didn't gather he had some pending announcement.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Might also be the apartments being built/renovated on 27th.