Broadway Jimmy John's

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Jimmy John's to open Drive-Thru restaurant at 9th & Broa

Post by Demosthenes »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
kboish wrote:Did this tie with 2 north landers voting against an urban downtown? Talk about a forewarning for the future.
It is quite possible that there could be 6 council members from the Northland in 10 years. And throw in a mayor from the Northland. You do have a warning.
We've had at least one mayor live in the Northland, no? Kay Barnes lives (or at least used to live) in Briarcliff.

Anyway, do you think this is a good thing? I definitely don't. To be truthfully honest, I don't even think the Northland should be a part of Kansas City. It shares no characteristics of "Kansas City." And it is such a large, sprawling, sparsely populated place that it shouldn't be mostly one city. Gladstone, Parkville, etc. should have grabbed up that land because kc north is really just a continuation of those towns.

Of course this is all just how I feel this city would be ideally. I realize that KC would not be "growing" according to the numbers if this were the case. And of course our city leaders don't want to acknowledge the fact that our city is afflicted with the same problems as other midwest/ rust belt cities so that wouldn't work. With the northland we can say we are "bigger" than STL and Pittsburgh and Cincy and others, and that we haven't lost population like all these other cities lol!

But of course, the growth of the northland is good for Kansas City right? It brings in tax dollars. But of course that money is going to improving the northland, not the city center, so what does it matter?

Others may disagree, but I wish Kansas City never annexed into the northland. And a majority of council members and the mayor living in the northland is a negative thing. The last thing we need is most of the power to be in a land of nothing that is the northland. This will help destroy Kansas City. A city has to be based around something, a downtown, a core, and the northland isn't based around anything really. It's just pointless sprawl forever. And it is a really brutal thing when it gets down to voting. Kansas City voters are split in two and it is totally stupid. Of course northlanders want different things than Kansas Citians.

And I realize this is all pointless, because we aren't going to de-annex. Oh well, still frustrating to me.

(I really don't hate the northland, don't get me wrong. It's a fine place if you want to live away from others in a woodsy setting. The nature is great in places. It just has no business being considered Kansas City.)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote: Others may disagree, but I wish Kansas City never annexed into the northland. And a majority of council members and the mayor living in the northland is a negative thing. The last thing we need is most of the power to be in a land of nothing that is the northland. This will help destroy Kansas City. A city has to be based around something, a downtown, a core, and the northland isn't based around anything really. It's just pointless sprawl forever. And it is a really brutal thing when it gets down to voting. Kansas City voters are split in two and it is totally stupid. Of course northlanders want different things than Kansas Citians.
this annexation years ago is what effectively saved Kansas City from being in more decline than it is today.

The funding that drove downtown's resurgence came from not having a massive population decline across the whole city. Sure, it dropped some since 1970 but it's bounced back some since then and hasn't dropped even 10% total and the northland population gain likely pays in total far more in taxes than what was lost. Compare that to St. Louis which lost 50% of it's people in the same period.

you know what's ironic about disliking northland council members. Russ Johnson is from the northland. one of the single biggest players in the urban renewal efforts of the past 20 years doesn't live south of the river.

as far as sprawl, the northland is nowhere near being a description of sprawl. there's still farms inside the city limits north of the river. there's what's effectively a horse ranch the same distance from downtown as Waldo is. The new Cerner project is slightly further away by total driving miles than Zona Rosa is. south of the river has far more sprawl than north of the river does, going as far as 135th St. North of the river is barely to 95th as a whole.

and the northland says yes to taxes. you need to go look at the August 2012 ballot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

just stepping back, I love that businesses are seeing downtown is a place to invest....but even more, I love that we have a voice in the DNA that we aren't going to allow just anything to be thrown up in our neighborhood. We've come a long way from when I moved downtown.

Now...shame on the downtown council for backing this and jimmy johns franchisees for doing the bare minimum to get this "approved" and tear down that building at lightning speed so they could now be in this position to say "we've already invested all this money, you can't stop us now"...they knew what they were doing wouldn't sit well with the neighborhood. I mean who doesn't go talk to the restaurant owner literally touching the building you are demo'ing prior to the demo?

They made this mess, they can't now play the victim.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jimmy John’s wins round one with Kansas City Council over drive-through
A measure to stop the drive-through at 923 Broadway failed on a 2-2 vote before the City Council’s Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee. But committee member Jim Glover, who sponsored the proposed moratorium, said he may bring it back for a council vote later this month.
Burke also said critics aren’t giving the business a fair chance. He said it will be designed to have an “old-timey” appearance and will be busiest over the noon hour, not during the evening rush hour, when Broadway has bad traffic congestion.
Guys, it will have an "old-timey" appearance! That's pretty much what we've been asking for this whole time, right? :roll:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

But Jody Gondring, an attorney and mother of three small children, said drive-throughs are a major convenience for parents like her, and such retail businesses could add to a vibrant downtown.

“I feel uninvited to downtown,” she said.
I wonder if she'd be cool if I built a skyscraper next to her suburban home. And if not, "I feel uninvited to her suburb."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote:
But Jody Gondring, an attorney and mother of three small children, said drive-throughs are a major convenience for parents like her, and such retail businesses could add to a vibrant downtown.

I wonder if she'd be cool if I built a skyscraper next to her suburban home. And if not, "I feel uninvited to her suburb."
Her lawfirm is in Mission...the Jimmy Johns in Mission doesn't have a drive thru....woof.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I'm suddenly reminded there's a Panera at Metcalf and College that doesn't have one.

if it's possible to have no drive thru there, it's certainly possible downtown
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember wrote:I'm suddenly reminded there's a Panera at Metcalf and College that doesn't have one.

if it's possible to have no drive thru there, it's certainly possible downtown
I can't think of a Panera that does have a drive-thru. Its a different kind of restaurant. Panera actually wants you to come in and stick around, Jimmy John's is all about fast food.

But yes, there are plenty of Jimmy John's (and other fast sandwich places) that succeed without drive-thrus. Mr. Goodcents, for example, is pretty much fast food, and they never have drive-thrus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The Sedalia Panera does.

it's super new also, like within the past year. So maybe they're introducing them in some newer stores.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Jimmy John's in downtown Columbia doesn't have a drive thru, so it's not like even this franchise can't get by without one.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There are already a couple JJ's downtown/CC with no drivethru.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't know how my parents ever survived without a drive thru - lugging around two young kids and expecting them to get in and out of the car must've been a huge pain in the ass.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:I don't know how my parents ever survived without a drive thru - lugging around two young kids and expecting them to get in and out of the car must've been a huge pain in the ass.
two kids? lugging one around can be super annoying.

won't stand still, screams when put in a stroller, etc.

and I still manage to go places that don't have drive thrus that are downtown
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

kcjak wrote:I don't know how my parents ever survived without a drive thru - lugging around two young kids and expecting them to get in and out of the car must've been a huge pain in the ass.
Huh? They didn't haul us around, they left us in the car for 2 hours and hoped we knew how to open the window when we got hot. They didn't worry about someone stealing us...who would want us?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"We've had at least one mayor live in the Northland, no? Kay Barnes lives (or at least used to live) in Briarcliff."

When first elected she lived by Loose Park. She only moved north for political reasons - to run for Congress after her run as mayor.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote:
KCMax wrote:

Her lawfirm is in Mission...the Jimmy Johns in Mission doesn't have a drive thru....woof.

A meer coincidence, I'm sure, but mom Gondring is a construction and real estate attorney.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

duplicate post deleted
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:"We've had at least one mayor live in the Northland, no? Kay Barnes lives (or at least used to live) in Briarcliff."

When first elected she lived by Loose Park. She only moved north for political reasons - to run for Congress after her run as mayor.

That is not correct, AKP.

Not important here, but she had personal reasons for a move that predated significantly the run for congress.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

KCMax wrote:...yes, there are plenty of Jimmy John's (and other fast sandwich places) that succeed without drive-thrus. Mr. Goodcents, for example, is pretty much fast food, and they never have drive-thrus.
The Jimmy John's being built in the Brookside Berbiglia has no drive-through.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Not important here, but she had personal reasons for a move that predated significantly the run for congress."

Good for her. Hate to see a politician make a decision like that (which there are some who do) for a political reason. Of course if she still lived South she wouldn't have run against Cleaver.